PDA

View Full Version : Warning Stop Using Twitter ! John Reese Sparks Wild Controversy

Harold Mansfield
03-03-2010, 10:30 PM
I almost on autopilot ignore marketing emails. even though at some point I signed up for something somewhere and haven't unsubscribed from them, I still largely ignore all but a few..but this guy finally got my attention today with this one.
A lot of what's in it, I had deducted (deduced?) a while back, but I thought it was worth sharing a different viewpoint:

Crowd Conversion - Transforming Your Business Through Social Currency: Warning Stop Using Twitter ! John Reese Sparks Wild Controversy ... | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/notes/crowd-conversion-transforming-your-business-through-social-currency/warning-stop-using-twitter-wild-controversy-/338017517098)

What I did think was cool had nothing to do with the article, it was that it was an emailer, directed to a Facebook page for the article.

Patrysha
03-03-2010, 11:09 PM
If he doesn't like it, he doesn't have to use it. I find it to be very helpful and it has led to serious work that has paid off for me. It's more than worth the time I do invest for the return I can directly attribute to the use of it.

Plus I do not do PPC or much other than publicity, public relations, and social media. I will soon begin video and start audio again...but it's all low key, low cost stuff that keeps business rolling in and is a heck of a lot of fun :-)

Harold Mansfield
03-03-2010, 11:16 PM
I'm sure the purpose of the article was sensationalism, which worked, but it does bring some good points.
Nothing is everything for everybody. I wouldn't change anything based on some guys article. I just thought it was thought provoking.

KristineS
03-04-2010, 01:29 PM
I think if you're using Twitter purely to sell stuff it may be a waste of time. It is, however, or at least has been for us, a great way to connect with customers and to make industry connections. I've met people on Twitter that had questions about our products and services that I was able to answer in real time, in front of an audience. I've also made connections with industry leaders which may lead to more business or, at the very least, may give me insights into new trends that will effect our industry.

Twitter isn't the best sales too, I'd agree with that. I also would say, however, that I don't think selling is Twitter's only function. It's a great customer service tool and a great way to make connections.

vangogh
03-04-2010, 11:33 PM
Sounds like sensationalism more than anything else. I can point to dozens of articles talking about how much money the author has made by being active on Twitter. It really comes down to you and how you use the service. If you don't want to use it don't use it. If you do want to use it use. If you use it to the extent that you have no time for anything else, don't blame Twitter. That's your problem and as soon as you stop using Twitter you'll likely waste time doing something else.