PDA

View Full Version : Call to Action - Painting

Painter Guy
02-23-2010, 07:25 PM
I am looking for some good "call to actions". The reason I like this forum is because there are not a bunch of painters on it. So, as a non-painter what "call to action" items would turn you on - no time sensitive responses allowed. Thanks, in advance.

Steve B
02-23-2010, 08:00 PM
How about get a Free bedroom painted with the painting of a living room.

Or, Free window washing with the purchase of an exterior paint job.

Painter Guy
02-23-2010, 08:07 PM
Appreciate the input. Window washing with an exterior paint job is a given. You make a good point though. We don't add that as a benefit in any of our ad material. Free bedroom paint with a lr paint isn't really even a good loss leader (I think that is the term). Keep 'em coming. Thanks.

Spider
02-23-2010, 09:51 PM
Do those 'give-aways' or 'premiums' really work, though?

I must say that - "Free bedroom painting with the living room" and such - are not a buying call to me. I believe that the supposedly free item is priced into the deal. (As it surely is.)

When Jos.A.Bank were selling "two suits for the price of one" last year, I bought, but my calculation was not that I was getting something free, it was to check the quality of the suits each against half the price asked. "Did I want two suits in the first place, and did I want two of these supposedly $600 suits for $300 each?"

But, usually, when the "free bonuses" are listed with any offer, I will ignore them and focus on whether I want to buy the product on offer for the price asked.

So, who has experience of "Free Bonuses" actually increasing sales better than a straight price reduction?

Patrysha
02-23-2010, 11:33 PM
Actually what has been offered so far are not really calls to action, they are incentives. There is a difference.

What you need to do to find the right lcall to action is explore why people are calling and choosing you now...tell them to call now because...

Because being whatever uniqueness and benefit you offer...discounting makes you a commodity...building up benefits adds perceived value and sets you apart from your competitors...that's the sweet spot.

You say you don't want to give a time limit, but that is one of the most effective ways to get a direct response to your advertising. Why should I pay attention now rather than next week or next month. Or why I would call a pro in instead of doing it myself...

I called one place last year to get a quote on getting our house re-stained. They called me back a couple of days later and left a message, but didn't leave a call back number. I never did bother to get around to calling them again. The house still needs re-staining, and one day it will become imperative to do so...I was just calling to see what it would cost and to if it would qualify for the reno tax credit the gov't here had going last year.

Interior painting I do myself...pain in the rear that is (and painfully slow since I am really good at procrastinating)

Steve B
02-24-2010, 02:36 AM
Good point Patrysha - each of them should have had a deadline associated with them in order to make them act now versus later.

I've done a few of those gimicky calls to action in the past, and despite what so many books will tell you they never seemed to work for me. That doesn't mean they wouldn't work in another industry, but they didn't work for me.

My main competitor has $100 off coupons on every print ad they do - but, there is a disclaimer that you MUST tell their salesperson you have the coupon before they give you the quote .... hmmmm ... I wonder why?

Patrysha
02-24-2010, 03:02 AM
Good point Patrysha - each of them should have had a deadline associated with them in order to make them act now versus later.

I've done a few of those gimicky calls to action in the past, and despite what so many books will tell you they never seemed to work for me. That doesn't mean they wouldn't work in another industry, but they didn't work for me.

My main competitor has $100 off coupons on every print ad they do - but, there is a disclaimer that you MUST tell their salesperson you have the coupon before they give you the quote .... hmmmm ... I wonder why?

Gimicky in what way? Do you mean with discounts? Or with time limited offers?

I don't think discounts, especially with inflated claims ever work. In any industry. People see right through those, they may buy and take advantage of the offer...but they aren't fooled for the most part. Related premiums or incentives that deliver genuine value that are relevant to the buyer are a different story, but can be a bit tricky to nail down.

Steve B
02-24-2010, 05:50 AM
I meant both discounts and discounts with time limited offers. I also meant incentives where they get something free. I've tried every one of the above several times and several ways. They never seemed to work for me. I did get some customers when running these incentives, but I suspect most or all of them would have bought from me anyhow (they often forgot to ask for the incentive - or even tell me about it, but I would remind them because I knew they had a coupon). Since my incentives were genuine it really just cost me money. I no longer offer these traditional incentives.

Please explain the difference between discounts and incentives that deliver genuine value. Isn't that strictly in the eye of the consumer? Isn't a discount an incentive? Or, does incentive in the marketing world only mean something else of value is thrown in to the deal? Perhaps I've been using the term incorrectly, I've used "incentive" to mean anything that is a short term situation that tries to get the consumer to make a purchase today.

My latest "incentive" is to install my dog fence for Free - giving them 30 days to evaluate it and decide if they want to keep it. This one seems to be getting some attention - but I started it just before my slow season so I don't really know yet. I don't think this will work for our painter however!

painperdu
02-24-2010, 08:05 AM
I think a call to action has an inherent time component to it. The thing is that when the need for your service does arise someone else may very well be calling to action right now. I think it's just good practice to always be calling to action, always test closing is what they say in selling.

What are the benefits to having something painted? A change in wall color is mentally refreshing? A big event is coming up and you wish to impress friends and relatives? There's a new odor eating paint available?

Turn the benefits of a fresh paint job into a call to action:

A fresh paint job can improve your mental outlook -call us today and wake up in a better mood tomorrow! (555)555-5555

Your birthday is next week. Start the rest of your life with a fresh painted home (555)555-5555

Thanksgiving is around the corner but your house still smells like seafood season? Call now to test our new odor eater paint! (555)555-5555

nealrm
02-24-2010, 08:16 AM
How about
Spring cleaning starts with a new coat of paint.

Spider
02-24-2010, 09:07 AM
...tell them to call now because...
Because being whatever uniqueness and benefit you offer...discounting makes you a commodity...building up benefits adds perceived value and sets you apart from your competitors...that's the sweet spot...That's what the text book says, but is it so in practice, Patrysha? Have you found it to work with your real clients?

I look around at the more successful companies. I don't see Wal-Mart running "This week only" offers - they stick with their proven "Every day low prices!" I've never heard Home Depot offer "Buy that and get this free" And we'll throw in a free tape measure AND and free patio set AND...

Nordstrom, Ross Stores, Tiffany, all define their niche and stick to it without gimmicks, tricks, offers, incentives or bonuses. I'm just wondering if small businesses would be more successful if they copied the successful companies.

There is a theme in personal development that seems to hold true - find someone who has what you want and do what they do. Couldn't that work in business, too?

nealrm
02-24-2010, 09:37 AM
I believe that it is the market and type of service provided that has the strongest influence on if you are a commodity. If you are competing against 10-15 other painters, you are a commodity. There is nothing wrong with that, you just need to make sure your business plan works in that environment.

The Wal-Mart example is a good one. They sell commodities and do it well.

One key point - don't go up against a more establish or larger company by mimicking what they do. That is a recipe for trouble. The great thing about small business is that they are flexible. Use that to your advantage.

KristineS
02-24-2010, 09:43 AM
How about
Spring cleaning starts with a new coat of paint.

I agree with Neal about this sort of thing. Right now where I am, it is cold and snowy and gray most of the time. I was looking around my condo the other day and thinking it could really use some paint. I'm guessing I'm not the only one.

If it were me, that's the theme I'd go with. Paint can transform a room and this time of year a lot of people need some brightening up. Granted, it's a seasonal message, but you could do the same sort of thing with almost any season.

dynocat
02-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Selling services, like painting, I would focus on featuring the areas where you excel. Whether it's great customer testimonials, better quality paint, color choice help at initial estimate, quick response to questions, or friendly and finicky painters, etc. that's best to focus on in advertising.

Do you make a phone call or other followup after the job? Do you get a lot of repeat customers? Do your customers refer friends?

Patrysha
02-24-2010, 09:52 AM
Please explain the difference between discounts and incentives that deliver genuine value. Isn't that strictly in the eye of the consumer? Isn't a discount an incentive? Or, does incentive in the marketing world only mean something else of value is thrown in to the deal? Perhaps I've been using the term incorrectly, I've used "incentive" to mean anything that is a short term situation that tries to get the consumer to make a purchase today.

Discounts are an incentive, but for me I separate them out in my own head - mostly because I generally don't like discounts. I'm a publicist or spin doctor at heart so I have a bias towards perception. So that confusion is on me, not you. I mean there are some businesses where it's just expected and others where it is necessary (ie: clothing stores at end of season) so it's not an across the board never discount sort of idea...just a general in my head policy of not making it the first choice...

And yeah, value is in the eye of the beholder...that's why they're tricky to figure out because you need something that is going to entice a majority of the target market that is in the market at the moment while not costing you a disproportionate amount on the business side.

And as you've noted...most would have bought from you at regular price. They were in the market anyway when you happened to be running your promotion. They may have been influenced to choose you over the competition (although with your competition they may not have even been a consideration...) or to buy a bit sooner than they had originally planned, but it's unlikely they were going to go without an invisible dog fence if there was no promotion.

In your business, I wouldn't have recommended discounts in general ads...though perhaps would include it in part of a referral drive...maybe...there would be a lot of questions and strategizing before the options were shortlisted and tested.

Now just from what I know about your business from here on the forum and no personal knowledge of your industry and product - the question that comes to mind is whether it really is conversions (which discounts/incentives/premiums etc are really for) that you are worried about or lead generation? Because I would think that when you get calls you turn a high percentage of them (that have the dollars and aren't just price checking) into customers.

Personally, I love your current promotion. It says so much about you and your product...that you stand behind it, that you know they are going to love it. Of course, it has to affordable and maintainable for you - and not lead to collection issues.

Patrysha
02-24-2010, 10:13 AM
That's what the text book says, but is it so in practice, Patrysha? Have you found it to work with your real clients?

Yeah, I have. But as you'll note, I am not a fan of discounts in general. Most of my efforts with clients are on the public relations and relationship building end of things. I tend to focus more on the making more from the customers you have route than on the finding new clients route of profit building except through referral programs.

I look around at the more successful companies. I don't see Wal-Mart running "This week only" offers - they stick with their proven "Every day low prices!" I've never heard Home Depot offer "Buy that and get this free" And we'll throw in a free tape measure AND and free patio set AND...

You haven't? Perhaps you get different ad styles between Canada and the States...because while yes, Walmart's overall branding strategy is based on their ongoing every day low prices...but their flyers land in my mailbox every week too. But isn't that really immaterial...they are commodity focused. I would never advise a business to compete on price the way the big box retailers do...they will lose every time.

Nordstrom, Ross Stores, Tiffany, all define their niche and stick to it without gimmicks, tricks, offers, incentives or bonuses. I'm just wondering if small businesses would be more successful if they copied the successful companies.

Yes! But not so much copy as adapt with their own unique flavour - but yup...you nailed it. I've never been in any of those stores, but I know their reputation based on satisfaction, customer service, attention to detail and with Tiffany an exclusivity that cannot be rivaled. Those things were built in from the foundations up...and took a long time to develop. (well I'm not sure about Ross Stores...but Nordstrom and Tiffany for sure)

There is a theme in personal development that seems to hold true - find someone who has what you want and do what they do. Couldn't that work in business, too?

Absolutely. It does work in business...for the business owners that are driven and motivated enough to make it happen in their business.

Painter Guy
02-24-2010, 10:47 AM
Great responses - thanks. Just to clarify, I've got nothing against time sensitive call to actions. In fact, I believe a "deadline" is almost required. The reason I meantioned it in the OP is because I am looking for some creativity not the obvious.

Currently, we offer a paint now...pay later program and that is fairly effective. Also, we have different price points for discounts. x amount off for any job larger then $500, $1000 etc...

I've got a fairly broad target market. Women of all ages. Our client base is over 80% female. Do you think that target market is too broad? Thanks for the feedback.

Patrysha
02-24-2010, 11:07 AM
I've got a fairly broad target market. Women of all ages. Our client base is over 80% female. Do you think that target market is too broad? Thanks for the feedback.

You'll actually find that it's drilled down a bit further than just women - it's women in a certain geographic area(s), homeowners (or at the very least long term residents) in a certain income bracket (on the lower end they wouldn't be ideal targets and on the higher end they'd have interior designers to deal with the details of painting), likely with a higher level of education and they'll be women of a certain age and up (likely 35+ though it might skew younger or older depending on your area)...

You'll also see market clues in the values of the houses you're painting and so on...but it is tighter than just women.

Painter Guy
02-24-2010, 11:19 AM
You'll actually find that it's drilled down a bit further than just women - it's women in a certain geographic area(s), homeowners (or at the very least long term residents) in a certain income bracket (on the lower end they wouldn't be ideal targets and on the higher end they'd have interior designers to deal with the details of painting), likely with a higher level of education and they'll be women of a certain age and up (likely 35+ though it might skew younger or older depending on your area)...

You'll also see market clues in the values of the houses you're painting and so on...but it is tighter than just women.

You are right. Looking more closely at my past clients the age is mostly 35 and up. Income bracket is little more difficult. It's fairly mixed - some of these women work and are in powerful positions others are stay at home Moms. I've got my geographic and home value list nailed down pretty well.

All that being said, do you have any suggestions for call to action for this specific type. If I was really good (I'm not), I would identify their buying / shopping habits and instead of offering 50$ off - I'd give them a gift card to their favorite spa, beauty saloon, etc... How the heck does one determine these habits? Thanks.

Patrysha
02-24-2010, 11:49 AM
You are right. Looking more closely at my past clients the age is mostly 35 and up. Income bracket is little more difficult. It's fairly mixed - some of these women work and are in powerful positions others are stay at home Moms. I've got my geographic and home value list nailed down pretty well.

All that being said, do you have any suggestions for call to action for this specific type. If I was really good (I'm not), I would identify their buying / shopping habits and instead of offering 50$ off - I'd give them a gift card to their favorite spa, beauty saloon, etc... How the heck does one determine these habits? Thanks.

Yeah, income bracket is going to be more tied to family income than personal income.

I don't know that I'd go for a gift card to a specific salon or spa though it does conjure up some interesting tie ins between home makeovers and personal makeovers. I would think though that gc's to a home decor store would fit together nicer. But if you wanted to make it a personal gift then a gc to the closest (or most prestigious & popular) mall would cover more ground.

Of course, that wouldn't work for me personally because I am not a mall shopper - I'd respond better to a grocery store gift card or tickets to a hockey game.

Habits are hard to determine. So many variables come into play that you'll never get it 100%, it's educated guess (sometimes based on surveys, but for a business like yours...likely total overkill) and test.

I really should stop hitting new posts and get focused on this sales letter I'm supposed to be working on, but this has been so fun :-)

Spider
02-24-2010, 11:54 AM
Team up with a beauty salon, spa, etc. owner and joint venture your direct mail - they send your ad to their list and you send their ad to your list.

It works better, I believe, if they actually recommend you to their list of clients while you actually recommend them to your list of clients. Try to find some reason for the recommendation "My wife just came back from a visit to XXX Beauty Shop and looked fabulous. I have arranged for all of my painting clients to get a special 15% discount if they visit XXX Beauty Shop before the end of March...."

And, likewise, they write to their list something like, "We just had Painter Guy redo our shop entrance and he did a great job. Because we were so happy, we arranged for Painter Guy to offer our clients a 15% discount on their next paint job, as long as it is started before the end of March..."

Get the idea? Joint venture!

Painter Guy
02-24-2010, 11:58 AM
I appreciate the dialogue. I get accused of trying to re-invent the wheel too much. I suppose there is some truth to that. I've got a few weeks worth of leads and clients I should be inputting into ACT. Hence, the procrastination and use of this site! Now - go knock out that sales letter.

Painter Guy
02-24-2010, 12:06 PM
Team up with a beauty salon, spa, etc. owner and joint venture your direct mail - they send your ad to their list and you send their ad to your list.

It works better, I believe, if they actually recommend you to their list of clients while you actually recommend them to your list of clients. Try to find some reason for the recommendation "My wife just came back from a visit to XXX Beauty Shop and looked fabulous. I have arranged for all of my painting clients to get a special 15% discount if they visit XXX Beauty Shop before the end of March...."

And, likewise, they write to their list something like, "We just had Painter Guy redo our shop entrance and he did a great job. Because we were so happy, we arranged for Painter Guy to offer our clients a 15% discount on their next paint job, as long as it is started before the end of March..."

Get the idea? Joint venture!

Great advice - thanks. Currently, my brochures are displayed (with a routing code) on the front desks of these types of establishments. However, I haven't got much of a response from them. The deal is for every closed job I get from that place, I cut them a check for $50 or donate $50 to a charity of their choice. I hold myself responsible for these programs not really working.

I've done little to build an actual relationship. Did my initial sales pitch to get in the door and set up my little display and off I went. I need to be just popping into these places periodically to just say hi at least.

Dan Furman
02-24-2010, 01:32 PM
I personally don't subscribe to a magical call to action that's going to make things better. That's a nod to the belly-to-belly salescall, where you need to ask for the order. But even then, there's no magical close. Good salesmen close all the way through, by solving the prospect's problem. The close is just the icing.

So, I think the call to action is within the copy itself, from the beginning to the end. Solve their problem, let them know you handle their painting needs quickly, professionally, and (like a few have already mentioned), sell them on the benefits. Then, just a typical "call us today" close.

Although I wouldn't quite use the phrase "mental outlook", I did like the direction painperdu was going in with the typical closes.