PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from California!

davshirley
02-22-2010, 08:08 PM
Hello everyone.

I started a web hosting business in the basement of my home in 1997 and over the years it has grown to the point where we had to move it to a datacenter (AC equipment and generator were too noisy for the neighbors) I hope to learn what I can about marketing because I’m the tech guy and marketing has always been my weak point.

I've been running shared hosts, reseller accounts and dedicated servers for many years and would be happy to answer any questions that anyone has on the topic in exchange for what you people can teach me. :)

vangogh
02-22-2010, 09:24 PM
Welcome to the forum David. we have a few other people here who offer hosting and plenty of people who ask about it so you'll fit right in.

Sounds like you're doing pretty well even without the marketing, but I'm sure we can help with some learning there. Feel free to ask any questions you have and search through some of the older threads here. We certainly talk marketing quite a bit.

Thanks for joining the community.

Spider
02-22-2010, 10:11 PM
Welcome aboard, David. I'm the un-techie on this forum so make allowances, okay?!

vangogh
02-23-2010, 02:40 AM
You're not giving yourself enough credit Frederick. You're more tech savvy than you think and certainly a lot more than most people.

Business Attorney
02-23-2010, 07:00 AM
Welcome to the forum. We can always use another David to help us catch the Steve/Stephen/Steven contingent here.

nealrm
02-23-2010, 09:07 AM
Welcome David. So what type of server were your running out of your home and how were you able to get the necessary bandwidth?

Patrysha
02-23-2010, 09:19 AM
Welcome to the forum David!

Wonder what the odds are of finding another Patrysha or two out there?

KristineS
02-23-2010, 09:38 AM
Welcome to the forum David.

davshirley
02-23-2010, 02:47 PM
Welcome David. So what type of server were your running out of your home and how were you able to get the necessary bandwidth?

We built our own servers. Much cheaper that way. I'm a tech guy after all.

For connectivity, that was easy. We had four T1 lines run into the house and added connectivity from there as it was needed. Finally had some fractional t3 lines at the end. Nowadays, connectivity is the datacenter's problem. :)

nealrm
02-23-2010, 05:15 PM
I wish I could get a couple of T1's run into my home. That would resolve several key issues.

cbscreative
02-26-2010, 02:34 PM
Welcome aboard, Dave. I'll echo what vangogh said, we have a lot of very useful marketing info already here, but the members here are really good at being willing to discuss any question you have.