PDA

View Full Version : Need a Video Script or Plugin

Harold Mansfield
02-17-2010, 02:31 PM
Hello all,
I am looking for a Video Gallery script, (or plug in for Wordpress) where as I can input already hosted videos say from You Tube or Vimeo, and display them in a configurable player...preferably one that shows thumbnails of additional videos along side or below one main video.

The idea is to still retain the functions of the original host such as embed, share, and link to.

The catch is, it needs to be configurable to be placed into a specified area.

I looked at a bunch of plug ins and scripts, but the nice galleries all require self hosting of the videos, therefore negating the original functions.

Any ideas?

vangogh
02-17-2010, 07:44 PM
My first thought is to wonder if you're allowed to do that. Take YouTube for example. I think if you want to display a YouTube video on your site your one choice is to use their code. I don't believe they give you access to them any other way. Even if they do I would think each site has its own way to let you use their videos.

You probably know more than I do, but I'm not sure what you want is going to exist.

Harold Mansfield
02-17-2010, 08:20 PM
My first thought is to wonder if you're allowed to do that. Take YouTube for example. I think if you want to display a YouTube video on your site your one choice is to use their code. I don't believe they give you access to them any other way. Even if they do I would think each site has its own way to let you use their videos.

You probably know more than I do, but I'm not sure what you want is going to exist.

That's what I'm finding. there are plug ins that will let you post a video and even a gallery within a post or page using You Tube and other services, but none that I could find that are very customizable, or can be placed with template tags in a certain area.

I know that I can host the videos and use an outside gallery/player, but it loses the functionality of Embed, Share, and Link to..a flash gallery stands alone.
I know that it can be custom designed, but I was just seeing if anyone had seen anything like it.

vangogh
02-17-2010, 10:25 PM
Have you been able to find anything close enough that could be customized? Better than building something from scratch at least.

Harold Mansfield
02-17-2010, 11:15 PM
Nothing other than flash scripts and players. Nothing specifically made for Wordpress at all, at least nothing that looks good enough.

Of the ones that are remotely customizable, they belong to a service that you have to sign up for .

vangogh
02-18-2010, 12:31 AM
There are definitely video gallery plugins for WordPress, but I think you're right about them all expecting you to host the video yourself. This might be one of those things that doesn't really exist. I think most people who embed videos into blogs and web pages are fine grabbing YouTube or similar code or they do host the videos on site.

Harold Mansfield
02-24-2010, 12:40 PM
After all of that searching and messing with flash, turns out the client wants to go with my original suggestion from 2 weeks ago.

vangogh
02-25-2010, 12:32 AM
I'm sure that made you feel oh so wonderful. I take it you felt frustrated now that he's finally adopting your suggestion after all the work trying to do it his way.

Harold Mansfield
02-25-2010, 11:03 AM
I'm sure that made you feel oh so wonderful. I take it you felt frustrated now that he's finally adopting your suggestion after all the work trying to do it his way.

That's always the way isn't it ?
I have to learn to pace things so that it seems that ideas are coming in intervals.
For some reason when you lay out the best and most efficient methods up front..there is always resistance and ulterior suggestions that always end up taking you right back to the beginning.

vangogh
02-25-2010, 04:08 PM
The same thing happens to me. I always try to get clients to agree (ideally in writing) to something before I work on it. It also helps if you take a deposit up front and make it clear what your price estimate covers. If a client later asks for changes you can reply that you'll price the change and get back to them. 9 times out of 10 they don't want you to make the change. The other time you at least get paid for the extra work.

Harold Mansfield
04-10-2010, 07:48 PM
Ha Ha!
Almost 2 months later I did finally find a video gallery script that works with Vimeo
Video LightBox - Embed video to your website with beautiful Lightbox effect! (http://videolightbox.com/).
It was surprisingly easy to set up and makes a really nice gallery with some decent options.

The only thing is, if you are using it with wordpress, I found that it works better if you create a custom page template (http://codex.wordpress.org/Pages)..maybe even remove the sidebars and slap the embed code right in the page template.
Make sure all of your paths are correct.

I put it on a clients page. (http://www.thebasiccookbook.com/video-gallery/) He loves it, waiting to get wife's approval and then will probably add some stuff to the page.

Business Attorney
04-11-2010, 04:32 PM
Harold, that is a great job. I'm impressed!

vangogh
04-12-2010, 10:08 AM
That does looks nice. Thanks for the link to the lightbox script.