PDA

View Full Version : Information Collection

rezzy
02-15-2010, 08:38 PM
Hello guys,

I was wondering how much information do you collect from your clients and how do you use it?

vangogh
02-15-2010, 11:20 PM
I'm not really sure what kind of information you mean.

I collect contact info for billing. As far their sites are concerned I collect any information I can. The more I know about my client's business, the better I can serve them in regards to designing, developing, and maintaining their sites.

There's no specific information I look for though, as far as a checklist of I need to know this, that, and the other thing.

rezzy
02-16-2010, 12:13 AM
Well, I saw in another post, someone mentioned collecting a clients address for a website. I thus far have never collected such information, and I wondered if it was common to collect addresses, and other information.

I just want to make sure I am collecting enough, to much or not enough.

Thus far, I usually get phone number, email address, and of course information pertaining to their website.

vangogh
02-16-2010, 12:37 AM
My billing program needs the full contact info, name, address, phone number, email. I like to collect as much info as I can about how to contact clients too. You never know what might happen. I never really need their address for my own information since I rarely if every have anything to mail, but I do need that information in order to charge a credit card so it's standard for me to collect it. Even if I didn't need it for the card I would still likely collect the address just in case.

Steve B
02-16-2010, 03:22 AM
You should be getting their mailing address. What if someone doesn't pay you or violates your contract in some way? Ultimately you may need to take them to court and you'll need a place to send certified mail. Or, even if they just switch e-mail addresses and forget to tell you - you'll need a back-up way to contact them. It's good to ask for two phone numbers for the same reason.

Harold Mansfield
02-16-2010, 11:24 AM
I think it's common for just about everyone to collect billing and contact info but what you do with it depends on what kind of business you run.

An ecommerce site for instance will track surfing and search habits and send you information and specials based on products that you appear to be interested in.

Landscapers may use their lists to send out spring time fliers or let past clients know of new services.

For me, I think it would inappropriate and unexpected for me to use my contacts/past clients as some kind of mailing list to promote products, but I don't see anything wrong with sending out a "Thank You" card or Holiday Greeting.

What you do with the information just depends on what kind of business you have.

vangogh
02-16-2010, 11:25 AM
Another simple thought for collecting addresses. What if you decide you want to send Holiday cards or birthday cards (assuming you've also collected birthday's). There are times when you might want to mail something even if you don't know what they are right away.

KristineS
02-16-2010, 01:33 PM
We collect shipping and billing addresses, telephone numbers and e-mail addresses. Our mailing list is opt in.

rezzy
02-16-2010, 03:28 PM
I have never considered sending anything like that, but that could be a great idea! Goes the extra mile!

Are there any other things you all do to get that extra and mile and show you care?

vangogh
02-16-2010, 04:01 PM
Mostly I just try to give the best service I can and put time into the details. As I get to know my clients better I keep them in mind while reading and surfing and if I come across something I think they'll find interesting or helpful to their business I'll let them know.

Sending out holiday greetings did once result in a decent amount of work in January. Sometimes reminding people you're still around gets them to contact you.

KristineS
02-17-2010, 10:34 AM
We contact those who bought from us in the previous year in January of the new year and thank them for their business and give them a percentage off code for their next order. It's been quite successful in jump starting some business in the first part of the year.

huggytree
02-18-2010, 08:29 PM
I keep a database of all potential builders and current builders..contact names, addresses, phone numbers, who they currently use(if its not me), any contacts ive had with them (neg/pos), my impressions of them, etc....ive delt with over 80 different builders on some level..most have just been a bid...i dont want to waste my time with the bad ones a 2nd time if they call me 2 years later...i go back to my list and see my notes.

i dont keep track of homeowners...too many...if i were a large company with some office people id make a list and send mailers or emails to them a couple of times a year.

off the subject slightly, but i check all new large customers on the WI court system..i see every dealing w/ the court system...divorces, child support, speeding tickets, lawsuits, liens.. it has saved me 2-3 times from dealing with pieces of crap...some had pages of lawsuits

vangogh
02-18-2010, 11:25 PM
i dont keep track of homeowners

Do you keep contact info on your customers? I can understand why you wouldn't keep track of all homeowners, but I'm thinking you hold onto the contact info for people you've done work for.