PDA

View Full Version : Need help resizing Flash Movie

Harold Mansfield
02-12-2010, 10:24 AM
I hope there is someone out there with flash experience.
I am trying to embed a flash video gallery using a predesigned player.

My problem is not with the script itself. I have everything installed properly and it works just fine.
The problem is with the sizing

For some reason the designer has seen fit to include a lot of wasted space around the player that I need to get rid of.

The player is off center of the required dimensions because of all of the extra space or padding around it.

I've been up all night trying to figure out how to set the dimensions so the stage and player are the same dimensions and I can't get it.

My first problem is I don't know what file to edit and no matter what I change and save, the outcome never changes.

The designers 'help file' is useless since the English is bad and even though I see multiple people asking the same question, his response is always "send me an email and I'll help you"...which is driving me up a wall.

(Nothing burns me up more than a designer having a help forum, and answering all the questions about their product..with other questions, or directing people somewhere else to get the answer...as if we didn't already look there and didn't see it, or understand it)

The instructions in the "Help File" to adjust dimensions are:

open the fla. open the actionscript on first layer. find the “init ( ) ” function. in this function. there are some interface positions. titleItem._x = 74;
titleItem._y = 104;
videoItem._x = 74;
videoItem._y = 132;
thumbList._x = 565;
thumbList._y = 104;
change this postion value. make all interface move to top left corner.adjust the video size or list width, then reduce your swf size to 778. please try it.

I am flash challenged. I have 2 files that are "fla" one is titled "Preview" the other is titled "load test"...I don't know which one does what, and when I open both, I don't see the line of code that he is talking about...or any code at all for that matter.

I also don't know what dimensions to put for x and y to make the player fit flush in the top left corner.

I have Adobe Flash Professional CS4 installed.

Can anyone help before I throw this computer, both monitors and everything else on my desk out of the window ? (sorry, no sleep)

vangogh
02-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Given those instructions I think you'd have no choice, but to own a copy of Flash to be able to edit it.

Try this one. JW Flash Player (http://www.longtailvideo.com/players/jw-flv-player/). I've used it for clients. Very easy to use an I think there might even be a WordPress plugin based on it.

If you click on Support and then set up wizard you can play around with some settings to see how the player will look and then it will give you the code you need to embed. You'll just have to change the path to the Flash file and to the script.

Spider
02-12-2010, 11:31 AM
I have done a little flash work but always with the Swish application. I think Swish is intended to be an easy way to build Flash files - maybe you'd call it an interpreter.

Might it be possible to take your flash movie into Swish and modify it there?

nealrm
02-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Harold - Sorry if this question is too basic. Are you publishing the fla file after you do the edits? You should end up with a SWF file for use on the site.

Harold Mansfield
02-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Given those instructions I think you'd have no choice, but to own a copy of Flash to be able to edit it.

Try this one. JW Flash Player (http://www.longtailvideo.com/players/jw-flv-player/). I've used it for clients. Very easy to use an I think there might even be a WordPress plugin based on it.

If you click on Support and then set up wizard you can play around with some settings to see how the player will look and then it will give you the code you need to embed. You'll just have to change the path to the Flash file and to the script.

I have done a little flash work but always with the Swish application. I think Swish is intended to be an easy way to build Flash files - maybe you'd call it an interpreter.

Might it be possible to take your flash movie into Swish and modify it there?

Right now I'm using Adobe Flash CS4. New ground for me....it's a fully functioning trial.
I was able to get the area/dimensions correct through trail and error.
The only problem I have now is that the components of the player are misaligned..but at least I got the main problem fixed....literally up until 4 a.m with that one little problem. I could have been down with the entire job by now :(

Harold - Sorry if this question is too basic. Are you publishing the fla file after you do the edits? You should end up with a SWF file for use on the site.
No that's not too basic (I'm a complete novice with editing flash files....first time ever)...I don't think I have, I think I've just been "saving".
Let me try it with the actual publishing command and see what happens.

Thanks so far guys.

vangogh
02-12-2010, 01:28 PM
Again I'm going to recommend the JW Flash player. No need to mess around with settings in Flash. You're going to spend a lot of time to do something that could likely be done in a couple of minutes.

Harold Mansfield
02-12-2010, 02:15 PM
Again I'm going to recommend the JW Flash player. No need to mess around with settings in Flash. You're going to spend a lot of time to do something that could likely be done in a couple of minutes.

I've already spent a ton of time doing something that someone else probably could have done in 5 minutes.

It took me 20 minutes to install Adobe Flash CS4..if I install another flash program, I'll have to uninstall this one since the files will only open in one program ( I just tried this with JW Flash Player and I didn't see where it will let me edit files..and with all due respect for your help, I spent over 12 hours on this program, I really don't want to acclimate to another one).

For give me, I am very cranky right now.

I just got a response from the designer..the exact same message as the help file, which I don't understand.

3. How to change the whole video gallery positons?
Now this file have space around the gallery. Many people want to change the whole video gallery on the top left corner. if you want to change the whole video gallery positions , do the fellowing change: open the fla. open the firstframe actionscirpt, find the “init()” function. please change these values ,it will be ok.

titleItem._x = 74;
titleItem._y = 104;
videoItem._x = 74;
videoItem._y = 132;
thumbList._x = 565;
thumbList._y = 104;

please try it.

say, you want to delete the around space. at first please move it to the top left corner. then change the swf size it will be ok.

I don't know where these files are that he is telling me to open, there are (2) fla files...one says "loadtest" the other say's "preview"...he doesn't differentiate which is the right fla file...or once I get it open, where to find these other settings....I don't see anything called "first frame" or "action script".
I keep telling him I'm a novice and to please be specific and he just keeps repeating the same instructions that I didn't understand last night,

Does anyone know what I'm supposed to do with which file?

Paper Shredder Clay
02-12-2010, 02:26 PM
eborg9, I feel for your frustrations. Working with Flash can be pretty frustrating. He apparently wants you to update the actionscript code. Do you see the layers when you open the file? Look at the top layer, (most coders puts the actionscript in top layer), you should see a little hollow circle with an a above the circle, click on it, hit F9, or go to Window > View Actions and then you should be able to find what you need to change. However, I recommend you make backups before and after you make the change. To publish the swf, go to File > Publish, you can rename the publish file name and/or html page by going to File > Publish Settings.

If you continue to have problems, find a freelancer that will help you or a different Flash file.

Harold Mansfield
02-12-2010, 02:30 PM
This is what I see in the editor:
http://www.thebasiccookbook.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/sample1.jpg

Now, I think I have the file justified to the top left...I'm assuming since it is on 0x0 that it is. I have this file uploaded into the area where I need it, but the parts are all misaligned.

nealrm
02-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Harold - You are right this change should only take a few moments. Instead of trying to write out a long description of what you need to do, I'm going to point you to the Adobe website. They have many video tutorials that will walk you step by step through the basics. They are free for the basics and take about 20-45 minutes. They are much better than anything I could wright up.

If you still have questions afterwards, I'll do what I can to help.

Harold Mansfield
02-12-2010, 02:55 PM
Holy crap, I got it!
Not completely, but I'm in the ball park, just need to resize the thumbnail gallery.

Whoo Hoo!

I found the files button and then found "Scene 1"-> "as script"

Then...THEN...you can resize the sections of the unit and "x" and "y" are the AXIS coordinates of where each section is on the grid. Old school Geometry.
My teacher always said that I would need it one day and 27 years later, she was right !

So then when you save/publish...you have to upload both the "Preview.fla" file (the flash document), the one that holds the HTML code changes AND the (swf) movie file. Both files have to match exact parameters.

It all make perfect sense after staring at it for 12 hours.

cbscreative
02-12-2010, 03:49 PM
I'm glad it's working, Harold. I just pulled most of an all nighter myself having not gone to bed until 6 am, so I missed your Q&A until now even though I've been up for a few hours. If you need help getting it to show a preview frame before the movie starts, I can help with that.

Yeah, the other night I battled with that issue. It was my first experience with doing it manually with a custom built player, and like you, I found an information void on how to solve that problem. I built the player in a matter of minutes, then spent hours trying to get the AS to work the way I wanted it too. Part of my problem was I usually avoid AS3 since I'm more accustomed to AS2 (big difference between the two). I took a bit of a plunge to finally break free of my comfort zone.

I'm not a Flash guru either, but I enjoy learning when it doesn't drive me crazy. I could just hand it off to an expert, yet I also enjoy expanding my skills. Now that the problem is licked, I know how you feel afterwards because our experiences were very similar.

Paper Shredder Clay
02-12-2010, 03:51 PM
You don't have to upload the fla file, that is the native file. Just the HTML and swf file. If you have video files or if it uses xml then you will need to upload all of those files mentioned in the xml, but I'm probably just confusing things more.

Harold Mansfield
02-12-2010, 04:22 PM
You don't have to upload the fla file, that is the native file. Just the HTML and swf file. If you have video files or if it uses xml then you will need to upload all of those files mentioned in the xml, but I'm probably just confusing things more.

No...I'm understanding a lot more in the last hour. I haven't been doing that and it is XMl so I will check that out.

Steve:
I may need some pointers on that. Soon as I get the dimensions and the functions working properly ( now of course the full screen and volume controls don't work).

Harold Mansfield
02-12-2010, 07:45 PM
O.K.
I still have some sizing issues with the control panel, and the 'Full Screen' function isn't working, but I think tomorrow with a fresh nights sleep and a better attitude I can get that done..for now I have too much other stuff to do to the site.

Here's what all the Hub Bub was about...this one little thing:
The Basic Cookbook (http://www.thebasiccookbook.com/)

Spider
02-13-2010, 09:25 AM
I know you're not going to like this suggestion - and VG may even consider banning me from the forum!!! - but.....

in order to equalize the black border to the left of the movie screen, you could add an empty narrow vertical table with a black background. If you make the table the full height of the black panel, it will just look like the whole panel is a little wider than it is now, and will center the movie screen in the middle of a black frame.

No?

Harold Mansfield
02-13-2010, 09:34 AM
I know you're not going to like this suggestion - and VG may even consider banning me from the forum!!! - but.....

in order to equalize the black border to the left of the movie screen, you could add an empty narrow vertical table with a black background. If you make the table the full height of the black panel, it will just look like the whole panel is a little wider than it is now, and will center the movie screen in the middle of a black frame.

No?

LOL, why would he ban you, because of the Tables suggestions ? That's funny!

I'm going to work of tightening up the dimensions today..unfortunately, I may not be using any tables for that...sorry Spider :)

vangogh
02-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Frederick recommending tables = Ban! (rushing off to add that to the official forum rules) :)

Harold Mansfield
02-13-2010, 06:10 PM
table......empty narrow vertical table....table the full height ...... middle of a black frame.....

http://www.1stinternetmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/soup-nazi.jpg

"NO SOUP FOR YOU !"
"You come back...ONE YEAR!"

Harold Mansfield
02-13-2010, 11:35 PM

No?
Just envisioned what you were saying, ya know, you could also get the same effect without using a table by using a text box:

<div style="border: 1px solid grey; padding: 10px; width: 600px; height: 330px; background-color: #000000;"></div>

And as far as I know, still have any text inside seen by the SE spiders.

Spider
02-14-2010, 09:47 AM
Yeah! That's what I meant!

(er.... Can you read this? Am I banned yet?!!!!)

vangogh
02-14-2010, 11:58 AM
No one can respond to you. Only you can see your posts. I'm not even sure how I'm replying. I must be guessing at what I think you would have said. :)

cbscreative
02-15-2010, 10:22 AM
Looks to me like you learned a lot about Flash. Congrats, Harold!

Harold Mansfield
02-16-2010, 11:28 AM
Looks to me like you learned a lot about Flash. Congrats, Harold!

I wouldn't go as far as to say that. I would put it more like "I tooled around with it long enough that I finally lucked up on what I needed to do".
(insert your own verb for "Tooled")

I still have an issue or two that I can't figure out...like why aren't any of my new changes showing up?

cbscreative
02-16-2010, 03:19 PM
It probably won't seem like it at first, but you do get used to the program and it even grows on you. It's definitely intimidating at first. I took a class to learn it better, but that was back when MX 2004 was the newest version. CS3 introduced the AS3 which I have mostly avoided simply because it requires learning a completely new language.

I had to force myself to begin the migration when using video. I don't see the option for full screen video supported in AS2. Even if it is (pretty sure it's not), I still figure it's time to get my feet wet on AS3. I figure it's only a matter of time before AS2 is phased out anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if the upcoming CS5 (due out approx mid year) no longer has the AS2 option.