PDA

View Full Version : GoArticles, ArticlesBase, EZArticles

Paper Shredder Clay
02-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Does anyone here utilize article content sites, such as GoArticles.com, ArticlesBase.com and EZarticles.com to provide informational articles while building a reputation and receiving links?

Patrysha
02-08-2010, 11:40 AM
I have in the past. I prefer targeted guest posts and articles though :-)

vangogh
02-08-2010, 11:47 AM
A few yeas ago submitting articles to article directories was a good strategy. The idea was you'd get to write your own anchor text into any links and your article might be downloaded and published on a bunch of sites. So you'd get a bunch of free links with anchor text you could control for the price of writing a short article.

Now though, the articles downloaded would likely be considered duplicate content and the links probably won't count for anything. The only links you might get are from the article directory itself, but since Google and the other engines are aware of the tactic and know that you are creating all those links with your anchor text, they probably don't count those all that much either.

A better strategy is to find real authority sites on your topic and find a way to get them to publish an article you write. That's how you build a reputation in front of your market and gain links that are worth something.

Submitting to article directories is more likely to be a waste of time.

Paper Shredder Clay
02-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Thanks, yeah that was sort of what my hunch was telling me.

A few yeas ago submitting articles to article directories was a good strategy. The idea was you'd get to write your own anchor text into any links and your article might be downloaded and published on a bunch of sites. So you'd get a bunch of free links with anchor text you could control for the price of writing a short article.

Now though, the articles downloaded would likely be considered duplicate content and the links probably won't count for anything. The only links you might get are from the article directory itself, but since Google and the other engines are aware of the tactic and know that you are creating all those links with your anchor text, they probably don't count those all that much either.

A better strategy is to find real authority sites on your topic and find a way to get them to publish an article you write. That's how you build a reputation in front of your market and gain links that are worth something.

Submitting to article directories is more likely to be a waste of time.

Harold Mansfield
02-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Man, there was a time when I was an article posting hound dog. Had the submission software and everything.
But it's been a while since I even thought about it.

Like VG said..it's a old strategy to manipulate incoming links and SE's are getting smarter about that and are now leaning more towards actual natural links and referrals.

The way things used to be, you only needed to have more time and "tricks" to manipulate your position...now it's a lot harder, but also a little more fair.

Some of the old stand by's are still good, but submitting to article directories is on the bottom of my totem pole now.

Articles: Still good if you can get them posted or linked to from an industry site. And of course blogging new content is still king.

Article Directories: It's not a waste of time..if you have it.. but they are saturated with spam. Choose any one of them and see how many "Acai Berry" articles they have.

KristineS
02-08-2010, 12:38 PM
I used to pursue this at one time too. I don't bother with it any more. A far better strategy, as has already been pointed it, is to find industry blogs or magazines that will allow you to write articles. It's a higher quality of link and most likely a much more targeted readership.

cbscreative
02-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Yeah, basically these all started out with noble intent and provided a valuable service to both authors and those needing content. Then abuse quickly set in. Liike Harold indicated above, those places are a wasteland of article garbage because they allowed it to happen.

Last I knew, Go Articles tried to put quality control measures in place, but it was too little and way too late. Ezine Articles is probably the best of the bunch, and have always monitored submissions with human eyeballs, but even they are flooded with useless content.

I suspect most of the "authors" are heeding outdated SEO advice from a few years ago touting the wonderful benefits of flooding these directories with ooze.

SEOStrategiesByTJ
04-16-2010, 04:40 PM
So how do you guys get your articles to appear on industry blogs?

Patrysha
04-16-2010, 05:10 PM
Guest posting and contributing directly...networking in industry circles can lead to a lot of cross promotion opportunities. I've appeared on several leading blogs and websites over the years just by asking.

Harold Mansfield
04-16-2010, 05:52 PM

That's pretty much it. Just ask them.
Also make sure that your RSS feed is available and submitted to a few of the services, some blogs or niche news aggregators will pick up articles through feeds based on tags and keywords to display as additional content..sort of like a "what others are saying" type of thing.

It's not exactly a featured article, but it can still lead to additional traffic. I get traffic from All Top (http://music.alltop.com)all of the time.

I also built my own "All Top" type site for niche music news, leading with my own of course, and that gets some click through traffic as well.

When I first started my main blog, I had a hard time getting anyone to post anything that I had to say, let alone linking to it... so I turned the tables and started asking the industry for their articles and press. Now I'm the source and people ask me to post their stuff.

It was very easy to do, just like you, everyone want's their stuff posted and mentioned.

Sometimes you have to be "sneaky" to get noticed, not dishonest, just use a little ingenuity.

vangogh
04-19-2010, 11:28 AM
Pay attention to the blogs in your industry. Some will have links asking for guest writers. Make sure the quality of your articles is so good that other people will want to have you write for them. When I guest post I usually try to write a better post than I would for myself. My goal in guest posting is to have the post do very well for the site in question.

Sometimes you just need to ask. It will always help if you've done some networking with the people you hope to write for. Comment on their posts, get to know them through social sites like Twitter, link to their sites in the posts on your blog.

Above all else make sure your writing is good to the point where others want to see it on their site.

Harold Mansfield
04-19-2010, 01:14 PM

Just curious, is your industry SEO ? That's a tough one with a lot of saturation.
You may want to consider changing your approach. No one who doesn't know anything about SEO, wants to read about it, so you have to come at "regular" people with a different approach and keep plugging at getting your articles picked up through syndication and social bookmarking and networking.

Also, I wouldn't even fret over getting published on and SEO industry website, because people who would be clients, don't read them. IF you want to attract possible clients you have to get at them where they are most likely to be reading about something they do understand like a small business marketing website or social media resource, and then rebuild your article accordingly.

For instance, if you title an article: "The 5 principle methods of strategic link building."...no one is going to read it outside of other webmasters who aren't going to hire you anyway, they are more apt to do it themselves by learning from articles and trying different "Tricks".

If you want to attract "regular people" you may want to title such an article something like:"If you can use Twitter, you can grow your website" (just an example), and word it in a way that compares Twitters popularity principle to gaining back links from Networking acquaintances.

The biggest draw back in getting SEO clients is people don't understand it, so they have no idea what you are doing and what they would be paying you for.

Articles that entertain them and (I hate to say it) but dumb it down using terms and things that they do understand, are more likely to get reads from "regular people"and maybe even a contact or 2.

vangogh
04-19-2010, 04:10 PM
is your industry SEO ? That's a tough one with a lot of saturation.

That will make it harder to stand out as a voice within the seo community, but if anything it also means there will be more opportunities for guest posting. Most every seo site has a blog and the people behind the sites will notice you commenting and linking to them.

Plenty of seo sites have blogs with multiple authors. Maybe have forms on the site to submit an article. Start following them if you aren't already doing so and compile a list of sites that clearly allow guest posting or have multiple authors. With that list stat approaching those sites about publishing your content.