PDA

View Full Version : Franchising Your Business

KristineS
08-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Many people here have started their businesses from scratch. Say a company, like this one (http://www.mcgrow.com/) perhaps, approached you about creating a franchise from your business.

Would you do it?

vangogh
08-22-2008, 06:31 PM
I don't think my business lends itself to being franchised, but it's something I wondered about if I would have started my own store. I think assuming my store was doing well I might have opened a second and maybe a third. Naturally they'd need people to manage them and I suppose in time those managers may have wanted to purchase.

I don't know that I would have tried to force my business into a franchise, but if it evolved in that direction on its own I probably would have helped it along in that direction.

greenoak
12-26-2008, 03:47 PM
im not sure if ours could be franchised....i sure hear a lot that we would do so great somewhere, and that there is nothing like us in their city...
but it would be very hard to teach someone how to get the interesting secondary market inventory, how to buy like jon and i do....
i would love it tho....passive income~!!!!
ann

Aaron Hats
12-26-2008, 05:45 PM
Our business could be franchised and I've been asked about it but prefer not to at this point. I'd rather open additional stores (which I have plans to do) myself and slowly grow that way. As the saying goes "never say never".

Aaron

Business Attorney
12-28-2008, 04:14 PM
You need to be very careful when thinking about franchising. There are a number of so-called consultants who are more than happy to take on companies who have virtually no chance of creating a successful franchise program. I would recommend that anyone talk to a number of different experienced people in the business, and not just consultants who stand to earn a fee whether or not you are a success.

A successful franchise program requires a lot of elements coming together, not just a good idea. If the elements are present, however, franchising can be an excellent choice for expanding the business under the right circumstances.

Ad-Vice_Man
04-27-2009, 05:10 PM
im not sure if ours could be franchised....i sure hear a lot that we would do so great somewhere, and that there is nothing like us in their city...
but it would be very hard to teach someone how to get the interesting secondary market inventory, how to buy like jon and i do....
i would love it tho....passive income~!!!!
ann

Maybe (were you to franchise) you could develop part of your business into a wholesaler (supporting your franchisees) of interesting secondary market inventory.

vangogh
04-27-2009, 07:41 PM
I think Ann could do the same and then perhaps offer training to the franchises for how to get the secondary market inventory. Even with a franchise the individual owners success varies. Some add their own talents to the business and others don't.

The franchise is usually there to offer brand, marketing, training, and maybe product.

Patrysha
04-27-2009, 08:15 PM
My business is not franchise-friendly. There are some ideas and programs that I could pass on...but most of the ideas are fresh and come to me from consultations with the client, so it would be hard to replicate and duplicate...

vangogh
04-27-2009, 09:00 PM
Not all businesses lend themselves to be franchised. I'm the same. My business is me and there's only one of me. Most service based businesses would be tough to franchise, though even then you could still franchise some.

nighthawk
04-28-2009, 11:12 AM
Not all businesses lend themselves to be franchised. I'm the same. My business is me and there's only one of me. Most service based businesses would be tough to franchise, though even then you could still franchise some.

I'm in the same boat. Franchising isn't an option for myself, and probably most service businesses, as you say. It may work well for something like PC Repair or Training though.

For more tangeable businesses such as retail outlets it is definately an option in a lot of cases.

lindseyt
08-13-2019, 11:43 AM
Get your FREE admission to the Atlanta Franchise Show, courtesy of The Business Exchange: http://atla.thebizx.com/
Be sure to get your Free Tickets here http://atla.thebizx.com/
normally $10 at the door or anywhere else

The Atlanta Franchise Show gets you face-to-face with the hottest Franchises and Businesses looking to grow in your market. Plus, FREE seminars from industry professionals empower you with the information you need to know to own a business.

Don't forget to visit The Business Exchange Booth and learn how the #1 Lead Generator for Business & Franchise opportunities magazine can help you to maximize your exposure.

It's an opportunity not to be missed!

Click here for your FREE Ticket: http://atla.thebizx.com/