PDA

View Full Version : Problem uploading images in WP 2.9.1

Harold Mansfield
01-23-2010, 08:56 PM
This really sucks. I was all set to finish up a clients site today and move it over to the main root when all of a sudden Wp started giving me error messages and wouldn't upload any images.
After checking all of my permissions (even though I didn't change anything since yesterday), plug ins, and anything else that could be the problem, the other images on the site started disappearing and now they are all gone with the exception of the ones uploaded into the Next Gen Gallery.

I did a database repair and still no change.

I checked all of the image paths and they are all there, but when I went to view them in the "Media" section of the dashboard, all I see is blank space.

At this point (after going online and seeing other complain of the same thing) I am sure it has something to do with the host's databases. (1and1). Out of 100mb of space, I have barely used 0.50 mb so there should be 99.5mb left.

I already contacted the host..amazingly enough, they don't offer back ups ( did I mention I hate 1and1 ?), but they are running some kind of check up that takes 30 minutes.

I have never seen this before with my own WP sites. Worst case scenario, I'll have to reinstall all of the images..the install of WP itself is functioning just fine.
Does anyone else have any ideas of what happened ?

jamestl2
01-24-2010, 03:40 PM
So what was the message you were seeing? Could you still see the rest of the website, just no images, where red X's might be?

And you did say you just moved over to the main root? So if yes, were they relative or absolute paths? I ask because sometimes images wouldn't show when I used specific relative paths, like this:
images/something.png

But I could get them to show if it was more generalized, like this:
wp-content/themes/theme-name/images/something.png

And I never had any problems with images showing using absolute paths.

Also how were you attempting to upload them? FTP? Or through the dashboard?

That's all I can think off the top of my head. Although since others have complained about it on 1 and 1, it's likely not an issue with your site in particular.

billbenson
01-24-2010, 05:37 PM
Have you tried uploading it to another domain to see if it works there? James had a good idea with the absolute paths. Could try uploading a short file with a relative path and see if that works?

Why is it I think its a 1 and 1 problem. You are right, they really suck.

Harold Mansfield
01-24-2010, 07:48 PM
No I haven't uploaded it to the main root yet, it's still on a folder.
All of the images in the media section are gone...everything I uploaded. The still seem to be there when I look at them via FTP, and they are listed in the dashboard, but there is nothing there.

After 3 calls to 1and1, and them saying they don't see a problem, I just decided to do another install of WP all together and just reload the images...all the content is still there.

This really burns me up because I know I didn't do anything. How could hosting be so flimsy ?

billbenson
01-24-2010, 10:19 PM
Well, they are known for domain squatting as well...

Do the images show if if you type domain.com/path/image.jpg ? I gathered from your earlier post that they do.

PM me and I'll see if the site works from here?

Harold Mansfield
01-25-2010, 12:02 PM
Well, they are known for domain squatting as well...

Do the images show if if you type domain.com/path/image.jpg ? I gathered from your earlier post that they do.

PM me and I'll see if the site works from here?

Well, I did a fresh install of WP using the same DB information and it seems to be holding well now. Everything is in place, I just need to re-upload the images and so far no problems.

Another thing that is making this go painfully slow is that I can't access the server files using my own FTP. I tried 3 different ones, even with 1and1 tech support on the line, and it just won't let me in. they have a "site explorer" FTP on in the account users dashboard that is painfully slow and only lets you up upload one file at a time...no drag and drop and folders have to be zipped in order to upload and then you unzip them from within the Site Explorer.

It's like I've gone back in time.

Good thing is, I only needed to upload the images again, not replace the path. One they were uploaded from the dashborad, they started reappearing again based on the path that was already there.
Very strange issue.

Harold Mansfield
01-25-2010, 07:20 PM
Found out some other interesting things about this 1and1 account.
They are running PHP 4.4.9 and I need at least PHP 5.0
They are also running an older version of My SQL, SQL 5.0.8.1 and I am almost certain that under my personal account (with a real host) I am running SQL 12.

billbenson
01-25-2010, 08:18 PM
last night after one of your posts I went to their site. I couldn't find "real" hosting there, just site builder packages. Certainly no info on php versions etc. It's probably there if you dig hard enough, but they certainly aren't pushing quality.

Harold Mansfield
01-25-2010, 09:36 PM
last night after one of your posts I went to their site. I couldn't find "real" hosting there, just site builder packages. Certainly no info on php versions etc. It's probably there if you dig hard enough, but they certainly aren't pushing quality.
Nooo, they are not, and it's a good thing because they don't have it.
I will give them credit on one thing...every time I called, I did get someone on the phone at all hours..but that means squat if they can't help you.

This is the first time that I have dealt with them. I almost want to charge more for having to deal with substandard hosting..there are so many scripts and plug ins that require at least PHP5.
I need an image gallery and now I have to hunt down an old one, or install a previous version of a good one that works on PHP4...or just hand code one.

Harold Mansfield
01-26-2010, 12:54 AM
Nooo, they are not, and it's a good thing because they don't have it.
I will give them credit on one thing...every time I called, I did get someone on the phone at all hours..but that means squat if they can't help you.

This is the first time that I have dealt with them. I almost want to charge more for having to deal with substandard hosting..there are so many scripts and plug ins that require at least PHP5.
I need an image gallery and now I have to hunt down an old one, or install a previous version of a good one that works on PHP4...or just hand code one.

Now I'm really perplexed. I decided to call them one last time and see if they could upgrade to PHP5. They informed me that they do have it available, but they won't upgrade it.
I'd have to do it myself...so the guy proceeds to tell me how to add a line of code to my .htaccess file to allow PHP5.
I did what he said, and it didn't work...it returned a 500 server error.

Am I just spoiled with my hosting company and others that i have dealt with?
First of all , you don't have to ask for the latest version of anything, they just do it. And then to think that PHP 5 is what 2 years old now, and PHP 4 is not even supported anymore and they wouldn't just make it right ?
They are the hosting company, but I have to do the upgrade ?
I'm amazed.:eek:

vangogh
01-26-2010, 12:13 PM
That's strange that they want you to install php5. Most hosts would prefer you not upgrade software like that and will do it for you.

For awhile after php5 was released, hosts were hesitant to upgrade, because some php4 applications would break. More recently it seems like at the very least, most hosts are offering a choice of php4 and php5. In that case, though, you just need to let the host know and they set it up for you.

If all you need to do is add a line of code to .htaccess then maybe they are all set up and it's not too difficult on your end. Is it possible you mistyped something in the .htaccess file? It's also possible support gave you the wrong line of code. Something tells me with what they gave you and a little searching you can make it work. Might not be too hard.

Harold Mansfield
01-26-2010, 12:26 PM
That's strange that they want you to install php5. Most hosts would prefer you not upgrade software like that and will do it for you.

For awhile after php5 was released, hosts were hesitant to upgrade, because some php4 applications would break. More recently it seems like at the very least, most hosts are offering a choice of php4 and php5. In that case, though, you just need to let the host know and they set it up for you.

If all you need to do is add a line of code to .htaccess then maybe they are all set up and it's not too difficult on your end. Is it possible you mistyped something in the .htaccess file? It's also possible support gave you the wrong line of code. Something tells me with what they gave you and a little searching you can make it work. Might not be too hard.

You are probably right, but we ( the client and I) didn't discuss me doing anything like that, so I thought it best to let him handle it since he has other things on that account. I apprised him of the situation and right now he doesn't seem to concerned about it.

The frustration was mostly mine, and I found a way around it, but I am not happy with dealing with 1and1 right now.
I don't like their set up at all.

Business Attorney
01-27-2010, 02:35 AM
Another thing that is making this go painfully slow is that I can't access the server files using my own FTP. I tried 3 different ones, even with 1and1 tech support on the line, and it just won't let me in.

I have several sites which are hosted in a shared 1and1 account. While I personally prefer cpanel to the 1and1 proprietary dashboard, I have never had a problem uploading or downloading files with whatever FTP program I happen to be using. For the last couple of years, I have used Filezilla for all my FTP'ing and have never had a problem with 1and1.

Harold Mansfield
01-27-2010, 01:10 PM
I got used to it over the last few days, but I guess I am so used to direct FTP access to drag and drop files at will and edit files on the spot without having to upload zipped files only, and having to download files to my computer, edit and then re upload them to make changes...it's just really slow for my needs.

Thankfully, I am down with that job and all is well.