PDA

View Full Version : Get The Benefit of Testimonials Without Having Any Testimonials

vangogh
08-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Testimonials can be a great way to establish trust with potential customers and clients. Some people simply won't do business with you unless they know others have been happy doing business with you in the past.

What do you do if you can't get your customers and clients to write a testimonial for you?

A post at CopyBlogger, How to Profit from Testimonials ...Even with no Testimonials (http://www.copyblogger.com/no-testimonials/) has some ideas about how you can still gain the trust of testimonials without actually having any.

A few sample ideas from the post:

Show pictures of people using your product or service
Provide case histories of some of your best customers or clients
Display the number of customers or clients you serve
Show important or well-known people using your product or service
Cite mentions in the media

There are more tips in the post for establishing trust.

Do you use testimonials and have you found them to be an effective way to build trust with potential customers?

cbscreative
08-22-2008, 02:14 PM
I definitely use testimonials and sometimes have people ask for referrals before I am hired to do a job. I would say they are very important in establishing trust, and they do work. Getting them can take time, but it's worth it, especially on the web. I myself am influenced by testimonials and reviews. I have made buying decisions, both in favor and against, based on testimonials or reviews.

I would just add this in using testimonials because just having them does not automatically instill trust. First, use them appropriately. If you see scam sites using testimonials (many do), that is the best example of how not to use them. Second, make them credible and verifyable whenever possible. When I use testimonials, I usually include links so the testimonial can be verified.

And of course, you do need permission to use them. If you're just starting out, getting testimonials in return for price discounts can be a win-win. Your customer gets a good deal, you get to use their testimonial, whiich has great value and helps get your name out.

vangogh
08-22-2008, 02:53 PM
One thing I've noticed is that my testimonial page is one of the more visited on my site usually be first time traffic. People want to know what others say about you. It counts a lot more than what you say about yourself.

I've seen many, many examples of testimonials working. And I completely agree with all you said. I always link back to the source (assuming there's something to link to) and always ask permission to use them.

One tip I've found when asking for testimonials is to ask just before you finish a project. Your clients are usually happy at the point (assuming you've done a good job) because the work is close to being finished, but since you haven't quite finished they're more likely to actually write the testimonial.

The article I linked to has a lot of ideas for what to do when you can't get testimonials. They'll work even if you do have testimonials too. You want to establish that trust and the post lists a number of ways to establish trust with your visitors to help turn them into paying customers.

Steve B
08-22-2008, 07:21 PM
VG - as you know I'm very happy with the way the testimonials have worked for me. The links to e-mail addresses is an easy way for potential clients to verify that you didn't just make them up. I think people are reluctant to call people on the phone - so an e-mail works better. Always ask permission to include the e-mail and don't include it if they admit they don't check their e-mail often (a lack of response may work against you). I also included picture of my clients to make it look more personable.

Check out my website (Testimonials Derby's Pet Fence, Louisville, KY | Invisible Protection for your Dog (http://www.derbysfence.com/testimonials.php)) for what I think is an effective use of testimonials. I even got one from someone that got a refund because I wanted to show they were real and not just a bunch of fluff.

vangogh
08-22-2008, 09:12 PM
Steve I was thinking about you as I typed the question and was hoping you'd find your way to this thread. You're a perfect example of how testimonials can work since you know of a few people who let you know the testimonial is what closed the deal for them.

I think the pictures help a lot. They make the testimonial more real and with your site including the dog(s) also inspires trust.

ErinWrites
08-23-2008, 12:43 PM
I also think the best pitch (and the nicest surprise) is when you come across a positive review of your business, or testimonial, that wasn't solicited! You know, on a local business-review site, or a forum, etc...

When your potential new customers discover it from a source other than your own business website, it is a true gem... invaluable!

Long story, short: Offering exceptional customer service, exceeding client expectations, and conducting yourself in a honorable way is ALWAYS good practice. Plus it usually pays off in many unexpected ways!

:-) - Erin

vangogh
08-23-2008, 01:45 PM
That is nice when it happens. It's one reason why it's good to be involved on the web outside of just your site. I think some people focus on their site to the exclusion of the rest of the web, but by getting involved other sites you can actually bring more benefit back to your own site.

exceeding client expectations

That's really the key to happy clients and customers isn't it. Give them more than they expect.

Spider
08-24-2008, 08:56 AM
Okay. I believe you. And all the others who swear by testimonials. But I have to admit that I don't read testimonials and they form no part of my decision making process. Of course, the testimonials are going to say nice things - you know that before you read them, because the business owner isn't going to display letters of complaint. Or, if he does offer one in order to appear "real," it will be a carefully chosen one.

Testimonials, genuine or made up, must, by definition, be contrived. And for me are thus meaningless.

KristineS
08-24-2008, 09:43 AM
Testimonials, genuine or made up, must, by definition, be contrived. And for me are thus meaningless.

There is a section of the customer population that thinks as you do Frederick. I've read several marketing columns that argue against testimonials for precisely the reasons you give.

I'm guessing the best way would be to have a mix. Testimonials for those who like to see such things, and other information for those who testimonials won't influence.

billbenson
08-24-2008, 01:08 PM
But I have to admit that I don't read testimonials and they form no part of my decision making process.
Got a cold call once by a guy selling seo and reverse engineered some of his testimonials sites. They used a lot of spam / black hat techniques to get their testimonial sites to the top for particular searches. Things that if you used them for seo for your site could get you banned from google.

The point being, for something like a seo company I think they have to be there. Depending on the type of testimonial, it may be useless information or good information.

Spider
08-24-2008, 01:35 PM
Actually, I realise that some people like them and have added some testimonials to my site (genuine, of course.) But they are almost hidden, so someone looking for them can find them and someone not looking for them is not likely to stumble over them.

Hopefully, that is an effective way of having them but not having them!

vangogh
08-24-2008, 05:53 PM
Frederick I'm generally the same as you. They don't really convince me either, but when you look at people in terms of their personality type a certain segment of the population will consider them the most important part of the sales process. Some people just need to know others have been happy and successful with your product or service before they'll commit to buy.

KristineS
08-25-2008, 12:14 PM
I'm not terribly convinced by testimonials, but I think that is more because I know how they have been manipulated by certain companies in the past.

I do, however, also know that a lot of companies are much more aware of and savvy about what is being said about them on the web. Given that, a bad testimonial can be a good weapon in the hands of a customer who isn't getting what they want or need.

Hmm, maybe it's time to write another negative post about the cable company.

the goat
08-25-2008, 01:41 PM
I do some freelance writing and I have actually had companies approach me about writing multiple testimonials for their products (without having ever used them).

I politely declined and have never looked at testimonials in the same light.

KristineS
08-25-2008, 02:55 PM
I do some freelance writing and I have actually had companies approach me about writing multiple testimonials for their products (without having ever used them).

I politely declined and have never looked at testimonials in the same light.

That's part of what I mean. I also know companies that have taken a testimonial and just snipped out the positive parts, so what may have been a relatively negative review becomes something that sounds like a glowing review.

Testimonials are like anything else, they can be manipulated.

vangogh
08-25-2008, 04:18 PM
It's sad that they get manipulated like that, but the truth is if something works than some people will look for a may to manipulate the success.