PDA

View Full Version : Software as a Service

MrGamma
01-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Is anybody applying this methodology to their business? I am currently under the impression many people have begun to focus on one click installers and continuing development from that point forward.

Is this working for everybody? Technically it can be seen as a way to exponentially increase the amount of work required to maintain software installations long term, essentially making them impossible to maintain.

Are the developers here familiar with Code Versioning Systems, or are they finding that clients are happy with one off websites?

I seem to be meeting resistance with those who would prefer the ability to develop thier own websites through a trial and error process. Unless things have changed in the last few years, they will most certainly dispose of the website given enough time and after going through enough upgrades which break their installation.

Just opening a thread in hopes to get some feedback. No real question. Just trying to better understand the climate.

Are people successfully migrating to CVS systems or are they falling into the realm of web hosting, where space is rented out and the development aspect is not organized?

vangogh
01-11-2010, 10:57 AM
I'm not entirely following what you're looking for. What kind of software are you talking about. Who would the market. I think it sometimes makes sense to offer software as a service and other times it doesn't, depending on the details of what's being offered and the person it's being offered to.

If you're talking about SaaS in regards to websites then I generally don't care for it or offer it as a solution to clients. While there are benefits to SaaS, there is (to me) one major con, which is the inability to have full control over the site. You only have what control the SaaS provider gives you. When it comes to your business website I think it's important to have the extra control. If it's a personal site no big deal.

the realm of web hosting, where space is rented out and the development aspect is not organized?

I'm not sure why you think development isn't organized if you're hosting your own site. I don't see any connection between the two.