PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone

magicman
01-07-2010, 11:16 AM
I am going to be taking myself off a shared cell phone plan that I'm on with my mom and going on my own.

In order to use the bill as a write off/deduction, does it have to be put under my business name, or can it be under mine?

I am a sole proprietership, so my name is on all of the business papers.

Thanks

Evan
01-07-2010, 11:01 PM
Even if you were a corporation, it could be under your personal name and claimed as a business expense. To qualify as an expense, it must be ordinary and necessary.

magicman
01-07-2010, 11:49 PM
So it can be under my name? Verizon told me they need it under my business name in order to use it as an expense.

Now, if I do use it as an expense, it must only be used for business? It is my advertised number and used mainly for business, however I have received personal calls on it.

Steve B
01-08-2010, 01:59 AM
I don't think there's a phone out there (cell phone or otherwise) that doesn't get a percentage of calls that are personal.

As long as it's primary purpose is for business it should be O.K.

I wouldn't take your tax advice from the folks at the cell phone store.

Evan
01-08-2010, 06:42 PM
Verizon told me they need it under my business name in order to use it as an expense.

Ask them when they became an accountant...

Now, if I do use it as an expense, it must only be used for business? It is my advertised number and used mainly for business, however I have received personal calls on it.

Figure out the percent of personal to business. If it's 50/50, then if it costs you $50 a month, call $25 of it an expense.