PDA

View Full Version : Dundee wedding photographer - Barry Mitchell

barry100
01-06-2010, 04:50 AM
Hi all. I have recently completed my new website for providing services as a wedding photographer in Dundee (http://www.barrymitchell.co.uk/wedding-photographer-dundee.php) Scotland. I would be grateful for your opinion on the website and what you think i can do to improve the website. i am starting up the business as a wedding photographer in Dundee as i think there is a hole in the current market for the less well off people who cant afford to hire a more expensive wedding photographer so I am going to fill the gap. I have been providing services as a photographer on more of a commercial basis for many years and i think it is not time to move in to wedding photography as more of a full time venture.

Any ways as you will see from my site I have used a tableless CSS design and some Jquery to make things look a little dynamic. Please head over to my website using the link in my sig and I look forward to reading what you have to say about my site.

Steve B
01-06-2010, 05:12 AM
I like the look and feel of your site.

I couldn't help but notice you only show b&w shots on the wedding page. I might have most of them in color with one or two in B&W just to show the possibility.

I also would take out the short paragraph about your pricing. I don't think you need to explain that it's based on what you think is fair for your time etc.

thx4yrtym
01-06-2010, 06:47 AM
Barry,

on the studio page third paragraph, should childrens be children's ??

nighthawk
01-08-2010, 09:41 AM
A few problems:

Your website does not work in IE6 - the width is set wrongly, causing all text and top navigation buttons to wrap.

On index.php you have pictures with text links underneath - the images should be clickable as well as the buttons. Links are the same colour as text, but in italics, they are hard to spot, and inconsistant with links elsewhere

wedding-photographer-dundee.php - page title has some typos, wedding is spelt wrong. Page contains too much text, and sections are not well enough defined.

Top header image is fairly low quality and looks poor. Text is difficult to read on email address.

PS. Any chance of you guys building a bypass? every time I travel south I have to battle through Dundee's roundabouts, 7 in 7 miles is a little excessive! :P

KristineS
01-08-2010, 01:30 PM
I would agree with Steve B about taking out the paragraph with the bit about pricing you think is fair. That's unnecessary.

In fact, I'd probably rewrite that whole section. Start out talking about capturing the couple's special day and how these are memories they want forever. Talk about how these photos are beyond price and something they will treasure for the rest of their marriage. Build them up so when you lead them into the pricing section, you've got them prepared to spend a lot more than what you're charging.

Writing this sort of website copy is an artform, but it can be done. The idea is to lead them step by step to a place where they are almost locked into buying.

By the way, I like your pictures. The one of the little girl with the cupcake is very sweet.

vangogh
01-08-2010, 02:08 PM
First impression is the site looks nice and professional.

I know you have the slideshow on ever page, but why not integrate more images throughout the copy instead of them being all in one place?

Since the main text is white why not make the headings a different color to make them stand out more. Right now there's no hierarchy to your content since it's all visually the same.

The button on the make a gift voucher page needs improvement.

Link your logo to point back to your home page.

Overall nice job.