PDA

View Full Version : Ficticious names and LLC

MikeNetFX
01-03-2010, 10:58 PM
Hello all,
I had a quick question about when it was possible, or required to display the LLC part of the business name.

I understand that if the legal name is "United Desks, LLC" the LLC must be displayed. But if i have a DBA or Fictitious name, and it was something like "Office Furniture United" would i be able or be required to display the LLC on the DBA like "Office Furniture United, LLC"?

I'm in the state of Florida by the way!

Business Attorney
01-04-2010, 01:06 AM
I can't speak specifically to Florida fictitious name requirements, but generally unless the DBA is "Office Furniture United, LLC" you should not tack on the "LLC". You should use the name exactly as you register it.

For more information, see the Florida Secretary of State's webpage Fictitious Names - Frequently Asked Questions (https://efile.sunbiz.org/ficfaq.html).

texperience
01-04-2010, 02:45 PM
For Iowa, if you use a fictitious name, you do not need to include the LLC portion. The LLC is attached to the original name of the LLC, such as 'Texperience, LLC'. I believe, at least in Iowa, any LLC being formed and not using a fictitious name MUST include the LLC somewhere within the name of the company.

Business Attorney
01-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Just to be clear, in most states an LLC can adopt a fictitious name with or without the LLC. My point was that you should use the name EXACTLY as you file it.

In other words, if the fictitious name of "United Desks, LLC" is "Office Furniture United" you should NOT append the LLC on the DBA like "Office Furniture United, LLC". Conversely, if the fictitious name is "Office Furniture United, LLC" you should not OMIT the LLC when you use the DBA.

Steve B
01-05-2010, 05:30 AM
What I have done on occasion is used the DBA of my company and in small print state "XYZ is a DBA of ABC, LLC".

phanio
01-05-2010, 03:27 PM
I agree with Steve B - even if you are just using your assumed name - you should provide some referrence to your legal enity or the LLC - just my opinion.

In Texas you are only required to use the assumed name if it is legally filed. If someone has questions as to who you are, they can just go to the SOS and find out the legal entity.

Evan
01-06-2010, 11:27 PM
Many states prohibit you using "LLC" in the fictitious name, as that isn't the business.

ABC, LLC is the legal entity. If you want to do business as "JKL" and "NOP", fine -- but they are not "JKL, LLC" and "NOP, LLC" unless they are actually seperate LLCs. ABC, LLC d/b/a JKL. Or ABC, LLC d/b/a NOP.

MikeNetFX
01-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Thanks everyone, you have been very helpful!

yoyoyoyoyo
01-15-2010, 08:50 PM
In Oregon, if you have registered a plain LLC, you MUST use L.L.C. in your business name.

However, if you file for an "Assumed Business Name" or what it's also called "Doing Business As" and you do not include L.L.C. into this name that you are doing business as, you do not need to include it.

However, if you didn't file for an ABN or DBA, you are REQUIRED by law to state that you are an L.L.C.

---

Also, people are able to look up your ABN or DBA and find out the name of your registered L.L.C.