PDA

View Full Version : What will you do differently in 2010 ?

Harold Mansfield
12-26-2009, 12:27 PM
The end of another year is always a good time to reflect on what we have learned, and how to be more efficient, and tackle those things that we let slide in the previous year.
Personally, I have already started downsizing and I am getting rid of websites that I never had time to properly promote, or that I feel are a waste of time and want to get to the core of what can make me the most money.

I learned in 2009, that I like putting sites together, but lose interest in them really fast once they are up, or don't have time to run them..because I have too many...so I will put more emphasis on providing services within my "expertise", and building on my technical knowledge.

In 2010, I plan on making the sites that do make money..better..and getting rid of the ones that I have no interest in anymore...and stop putting up sites on a whim because I found a good domain.

I also plan on sticking to a definite work schedule, and start treating my office time like I work in an office, and stop wasting time when I'm in the chair.

What business resolutions do you guys have for the upcoming year ?

Spider
12-26-2009, 02:50 PM
I will spend more time promoting my book - I did virtually nothing in this regard during 2009.

I will spend more time speaking - I let that slip, and spent more time than I should have on frivolous topics. I shall focus on speaking to groups that can hire me as a coach.

I intend to dress better.

Harold Mansfield
12-26-2009, 04:15 PM
I intend to dress better.

Ha ! I love that one ! I don't think I've put on a suit more than 6 times this entire year.
At this point, I have more sweats, shorts and T-shirts than I do anything else, since I don't go to an office anymore.

Spider
12-26-2009, 06:14 PM
Part of my reason for that one is, last year I vowed to raise my standards and one of the areas was to be in my dress. But.... I hate shopping! It's about the only thing in the world I hate. So, I didn't get to buy much in the way of new and better quality clothing.

Then the economic slump came and Jos.A.Banks had some ridiculous price reductions. $500 suits for $300 and a second suit free. $400 camelhair sportsjacket for $99. 50% off everything in the store. Well, I hope Jos.A.Banks survive this, because they sure sounded desperate at times.

I now have more suits than I know what to do with, jackets I haven't worn yet, and shirts still in their original wrappings. When thinking about how long it has been since I did any substantial clothes shopping, I figure I now have enough clothes to last me until I die. IOW, I will never have to go shopping for clothes again!

Which is fine by me!

Evan
12-26-2009, 06:25 PM
I learned in 2009, that I like putting sites together, but lose interest in them really fast once they are up, or don't have time to run them.

Sounds like me...almost. I ran a website development firm and hated creating the websites, but loved managing it (which wasn't much). Led to my studies in business and accounting, completing an AS in business administration, BS in accounting, and very soon an MBA in global business leadership and accounting. Phew!

Steve B
12-26-2009, 08:28 PM
More of the same.

Re: dress - I only put a jacket and tie (not a suit) on once in the last 3 years. Frankly, that was way too much for me.

Spider
12-26-2009, 08:43 PM
On this question of dress, I must draw attention to the improvement in work performance with improvement in dress. If you are smarter and more meticulous in your appearance, you cannot help but be smarter and more meticulous in your performance.

It's not a matter of the best work is done by people in suits. Obviously, that is not always the case. But they don't pay guys in suits more, on average, than guys in blue jeans out of the goodness of their hearts! No-one can separate their attitude from their performance. An attitude of living to a higher standard must manifest itself as much in one's appearance as in one's performance.

Harold Mansfield
12-26-2009, 09:22 PM
On this question of dress, I must draw attention to the improvement in work performance with improvement in dress. If you are smarter and more meticulous in your appearance, you cannot help but be smarter and more meticulous in your performance.

It's not a matter of the best work is done by people in suits. Obviously, that is not always the case. But they don't pay guys in suits more, on average, than guys in blue jeans out of the goodness of their hearts! No-one can separate their attitude from their performance. An attitude of living to a higher standard must manifest itself as much in one's appearance as in one's performance.

Much the same logic as the nightclub business. Normal people tend to act as if they have some sense when they are wearing their best diggs as opposed to allowing jeans and ball caps in the club.

In business, it comes down to professionalism..if you look like a million, you tend to act like a million.
Tough for guys like me who don't work around others, nor do I meet with potential clients unless they are local and insist on it...which hasn't happened yet...but it's easier to act like you are wearing a suit when no one can see you.
For all my clients know I'm in a kilt, Wisconsin Cheese hat and Scoobie Doo slippers.

huggytree
12-26-2009, 09:33 PM
I had a good year in 2009...hours worked were up, sales were up 15%, profit was up 20%

I just finished my 3rd year in business and I plan to continue doing exactly what im doing. Im learning the difference between where im at (minor success) and where i want to be is down to subtle/small things. I always look for someone who's where i want to be and copy them. I found an electrician 2 months ago who is wildly successful (20 employees) and has a different way of looking at service and advertising.When i look at his advertising its obvious why he's successful..its that good and is noticably better than his competition....im planning on adapting my service & advertising in 2010 to make my company look and act a bit more like his.

I am going into 2010 believing the economy in WI is going to be worse off than 2009. My goal is to be close to my 2009 sales. unless im wrong i dont see myself getting a 15% increase again. All my thinking is towards survival. I was hoping by summer 2010 to have hired an employee...i am completely giving up on that idea and feel while the rest of the country may be pulling out of the recession here in WI were going down still....are we at the bottom? it hasnt gotten worse in 5 months now. This winter will be worse than 2009 for work.....my goal is not to use any savings.

Spider
12-26-2009, 10:31 PM
...but it's easier to act like you are wearing a suit when no one can see you... How do you act like you are wearing a suit? I can see acting like you are happy when you are not, or acting like you are stupid when you are not, but how do you act like you are wearing a suit when you are not?

Spider
12-26-2009, 10:50 PM
...I am going into 2010 believing the economy in WI is going to be worse off than 2009. My goal is to be close to my 2009 sales. unless im wrong i dont see myself getting a 15% increase again. All my thinking is towards survival.....Totally the wrong attitude!

"If you believe you can or if you believe you can't, you're right!" - Henry Ford.

If you believe you cannot do better, then you won't. Simple logic.

I am focussing on dealing with people who believe they can succeed. And only people who believe they can succeed. Anyone who comes to me believing the best they can do is survive, will not get any help from me. Why waste time with such defeatism?

greenoak
12-27-2009, 12:02 AM
i go by thoreau....beware of all things that require new clothes...lol..
thats such a good question for the year end review,,,,what would i do different? thats on my mind too...now is such a good natural time to focus on everything...we are getting our numbers in which is always stimulating....i blogged on this subject a few days ago.my shoptalk blog..... and am working on my answers,,,,
ann

Harold Mansfield
12-27-2009, 03:26 AM
How do you act like you are wearing a suit? I can see acting like you are happy when you are not, or acting like you are stupid when you are not, but how do you act like you are wearing a suit when you are not?

I just meant I act just as professional as if I were in a big office wearing business clothes.
Just because I speak to most people while I'm in shorts or sweats, doesn't mean I act like I'm lounging around with a beer in my hand, munching potato chips.

Steve B
12-27-2009, 04:34 AM
You all make good points about professional attire.

In 2010 - I'm going to act like I'm wearing a suit more often.

Spider
12-27-2009, 09:16 AM
No-one can separate their attitude from their performance. An attitude of living to a higher standard must manifest itself as much in one's appearance as in one's performance.

huggytree
12-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Spider,

hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. The market dropped off significantly 4 months ago around here and the outlook for atleast 2 more months is horrible....i dont see anything wrong with being in a survival mode....to pretend there is no recession is to fail....

if it gets much worse its going to be very difficult to make a profit...my goal is to make the same as 2009..its unrealistic to expect another 15% increase in sales....its possible, but from where i sit i dont expect it.

KristineS
12-27-2009, 05:32 PM
Two things

Dress better. I hate shopping and I hate fashion so I tend to find something simple and get it in multiple colors and wear it until it is in rags. I'd like to find some style in 2010.

Write. I have article ideas and blog posts and book ideas swirling around in my head and I'm not doing anything about them. I'm going to make time to write and to promote my writing.

Patrysha
12-27-2009, 06:35 PM
In a nutshell...
Laugh More. Bitch Less.

I've got a lot of big goals for 2010 - speaking engagements, clients I want to land, projects to complete...I am really looking forward to it.

I already have as many speaking gigs booked for 2010 as I delivered in all of 2009 :-)

Oh and this thread made me realize I hadn't updated my goals in the personal appearance department...of course clothes only scratch the surface for women...blah!

I already started with working out (irregular but better than never), electrolysis treatments & a chemical peel in 2009 but for 2010 I really have to add more frequent haircuts & manicures to the mix and need to keep expanding the wardrobe too...especially the shoes. I have one pair of dress shoes, a pair of runners (that I actually swiped from my eldest son when he grew out of them) & a pair of winter boots...apparently this is an absolutely inadequate supply of shoes despite the fact that I can actually only wear one pair at a time.

orion_joel
12-27-2009, 08:55 PM
Interesting topic, I think that there is going to be a lot that i will do differently in 2010.

On the Style Front there are two interesting posts you may like to check out on the website of Steve Pavlina where he has started to learn about Fashion and sharing what he has learnt. They are quite long and in depth articles, but worth a read i think. Part 1 (http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2009/12/learning-about-fashion/) - Part 2 (http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2009/12/learning-fashion-part-2/). I personally am not fashionable. I do not care if i am wearing the latest shirts and such which are out. But what i do, do is take care in how i dress, always neat and presentable. Sometimes even with some very bright ties to get people's attention (which is does)

- I want to make more of an impact in business (this should not be difficult, 2009 was small business year for me)
- Actually get started on some projects (changing the focus of my business from IT to ??), books (Writing, i have an idea or two i need to flesh these out more), and hobbies (Photography, i have just bought a Digital SLR, may as well learn to use it, and make use of it)
- And also as someone else mentioned reduce the number of websites i am working on and build the ones that are doing well. While I can see the benefit in many small sites, i think it helps you to only lose focus on getting a few bigger ones producing even more. But in this as well, start focusing a little on building websites for others, as a business partnership with the people, so the money i make from this is linked to the success of the site. This can be a dicey area i know, but i am seeing some people with good ideas and i think that there is potential in some of the ideas to go well, and rather then putting a price on the setup and design of the site i am happy to risk some of my time for potentially a percentage of what the website generates in revenue.

Business Attorney
12-27-2009, 09:10 PM
Use my time more wisely.

Spider
12-27-2009, 11:22 PM
....to pretend there is no recession is to fail...That's an interesting remark. What would you call, pretending there IS a recession? To succeed?

I think to pretend there IS a recession is more likely to result in failure than pretending there is no recession.

The term "recession" applies to the economy as a whole. It never happens that everybody's business is down at the same time and by the same amount. Some businesses will improve and some will decline, but that happens at the best of times as well. In a recession more businesses will decline than will expand, but some will still expand.

So, make sure you are one of the businesses that expands. You cannot do that by going into survival mode and by setting up your business for the worst. That's how recessions happen - by more businesses preparing for the worst than businesses preparing for the best.

You see a recession does not cause the economy to decline. It's the other way round - an economy that goes into decline causes a recession. And as you are part of the economy, your preparing for the worst is part of the cause of the recession.

So, to keep this on topic - One thing I will not do differently in 2010 is in preparing for the future. I will do exactly as I did last year and prepare for the best, maintain a positive attitude, see the good in everything around me, grab every opportunity that presents itself and go out and make my own opportunities in between times.

And I will win in 2010 as I did in 2009.

Steve B
12-28-2009, 04:19 AM
C'mon Frederick, we all knew the recession was HT's fault, but none of us were going to say anything!

In HT's type of business, I agree he is doing appropriate planning to anticipate things will be the same or worse as far as construction activity in his area. Sure, some businesses can prosper in a recession - but, it's not likely going to be a plumbing company in the middle of the country.

If he "hope's for the best" and invests in new equipment which doesn't get utilized, or spends a lot of money on advertising that falls on deaf ears, he runs the risk of financial ruin. Platitudes are great -but, at some point, you have to look at the reality of the potential market for your product/service and adjust some business decisions accordingly.

Spider
12-28-2009, 11:44 AM
I am forced to take odds with you, Steve. First, in defence of Dave, he alone is not the cause of the recession, and I said only that he is part of the cause (or will be if he continues his present attitude) - as is everyone who postpones purchases, puts expansion plans on hold, and saves rather than spends. In fact, I contributed in a roundabout fashion by buying a lot of clothes just recently at 50% Off sales, instead of paying full price.

I find it quite amusing, really, how people seem to think that a recession is something that happens to us. Like some malevalent outside force decided to give the world some pain by bringing a recession upon us. Recession is a state of the economy, and we are the economy. Recession doesn't happen to the economy -- the economy - us - brings it upon itself.

The fact that you agree Dave is doing appropriate planning to anticipate things will be the same or worse for him is also rather interesting. Officially, the recession is over - has been since May 2009, according to Forbes and ABC, July according to Newsweek. Why on earth would planning for a recession many months after the recession ended be appropriate action? Also, consider that all last year, apparently in the heat of the recession, Dave was filling these forum with various advertising he was doing or intending - postcards, fliers, telephone book, door hangers, van wrap, and so on. And even as the recession ended, he reported that he had just had his second busiest month ever. Plus, just a few days ago, he indicated that 2009 was a good year with profits up 20%. I just don't understand how his upbeat results and positive attitude could suddenly turn into defeatism on such a scale. Especially when conditions seem to be favoring him.

You say, Steve -"some businesses can prosper in a recession - but, it's not likely going to be a plumbing company in the middle of the country." I ask, Why not? - when that is exactly what happened in 2009, by Dave's own account.

I'm sorry to see that you consider my words as platitudes. I am especially sorry that you - and others I hear about me - choose to put down, hold down or drive down others whose idea of reality is somewhat different from their own. It's all very well insisting on being realistic, but I do believe one should take into account that what is realistic in one person's opinion isn't the same for everyone. For that's all it is - opinion. There are no facts about the future.

I think it is very realistic to expect 2010 to be a pretty good year. It could be a great year all round, if the doomsters were to keep their negativity to themselves and if everyone got on with their business planning to do well. That won't happen, though, so I temper my "great" to "pretty good." Whatever it turns out to be, good or bad, we will be the cause.

vangogh
12-28-2009, 01:04 PM
Interesting thread with a few sub topics going on. I'm a bit late to the party I see.

I don't that different is the right word to describe what I'll do in 2010, though I don't expect I'll do things exactly the same. I think of it more as continuing to grow, both as a person and a business. I'll change and my business will change, but they were both doing that in 2009 as well.

Every year around this time I think of a few major goals I want to accomplish in the coming year. I keep those goals realistic and also somewhat flexible. Realistic so I can actually achieve them and flexible so I can change as the year goes on. I can't tell you what's going to happen 6 months from now and an idea I have now may not seem as great this summer or maybe a new opportunity will present itself that I can't possibly account for now. This forum is one such opportunity. When 2008 started I had no idea the old SBF would fall like it did. But it did and that presented an opportunity to start again here. It wasn't a goal when the year started, but the opportunity presented itself and the work spent getting this place going superseded other goals I had made at the start of the year.

As far as clothing is concerned, I've never been one to dress up. In fact I always found myself being less productive if dressed well. I find suits restrictive and I work best when I'm comfortable. I don't think you need to be dressed well to be professional, though I do accept that many will view you that way. I don't even own a tie at the moment. I've found that if I need one it's likely a family function like a wedding in which case I'd be back in New York and would borrow one from my brother. I have a jacket and a pair of pants at his place and maybe even a nice shirt.

The recession talk her is interesting. I can see both sides. Naturally if you're unsure of the economy you're more likely to save instead of spend just in case. On the other hand those that can afford to spend or are willing to take the risk of spending will find themselves in a much better position both now and in a few years. I don't run my business based on the larger economy. I run my business based on my business. While the economy shrunk in 2009, I raised my prices because I felt my experience and abilities were being undervalued. I raised my rates to better reflect the value I and my business offered. I never once considered the larger economy in that decision.

I understand being affected by the larger economy and adjusting to it. In some years it makes sense to raise or lower prices or to alter your budget. More often though I think you need to make business decisions based on your business and your market. Business succeed and fail in any economy. The larger economy changes conditions that make some businesses more likely to do either and it also presents new opportunities and closes some old ones.

Some very successful companies grew out of recessions and I suspect the same will happen this time around. While you have to be aware of the recessions I think it's a mistake to focus too much on it. Focus short term things on the current conditions, but don't lose site of longer term things that will still be there when the economy changes for better or worse.

huggytree
12-28-2009, 07:01 PM
from my point of view the recession has not ended....it may be getting worse..

it got significantly worse from Sept till present day....no one is calling, no one is buying.

for me to stock up on supplies would be just plain stupid........spend thousands on materials to sit in my shop for years....i am only purchasing monthly what is needed...id rather have $5k-$10k in my pocket incase i need to live on it.

as far as my personal life i am in the middle of spending $62,000 on improving my house.. im taking advantage of the good deals since i still have money....i somewhat regret spending so much since work went bad after i signed both contracts.

maybe the recession has ended, but here in WI 95% of people would disagree with you and as long as 51% think were still in a recession we still are...i cant just pretend my phone is ringing...the only calls i get are emergencies and price shoppers getting 20 bids...i run my business like the economy will be bad for 2010.....id love to see it improve this spring....its possible...im hoping were at the bottom, but i thought we were at the bottom last summer and i was very wrong...the bottom was 50% worse.

Spider
12-28-2009, 11:20 PM
Interesting. I have just been looking at a chart of housing starts for Wisconsin (madison.com) that clearly shows housing starts tripling from the low of January 09 to June 09 and then halving through Novemebr 09. The result is that November housing starts are 50% higher than January housing starts.

But you say that no one is calling and no one is buying. Are you continuing to advertise, Dave? Are you still sending out your monthly fliers and postcards? Are you still attending your networking events and business lead swap meetings? What advertising or promotions are you doing, right now?

orion_joel
12-29-2009, 04:30 AM
I think that the state of the economy to it being in recession is relative. Just because a news program says the country is out of recession doesnt mean the entire country is out of recession. Areas may be improving and if enough areas are improving the figures may be looking better for the country as a whole. But areas can be going down and others up.

However I agree with Spider, Recession is a relative term, HT just because you are not getting calls does not mean that the demand for a plumber has dropped off, you are just not getting your business in front of the right people it would seem. Especially if the figures spider has shared are correct.

huggytree
12-29-2009, 09:08 AM
i dont live in a bubble....i talk often with other owners of plumbing companies, electricians,heating contractors, builders, remodelers, supply house salesman...

I have more work than most do right now....

no..its not me....its dead here......D.E.A.D.

demand for a plumber is down to 90%+

everyone is laid off or working 16 hour weeks right now....so there are 2,500 side job plumbers in my area...every plumber must do sidejobs to survive....so i assume a large portion of the work is being done for cash....i dont blame them, but it will take a long time to get back to normal.

Spider
12-29-2009, 10:06 AM
You say that no one is calling and no one is buying. Are you continuing to advertise, Dave? Are you still sending out your monthly fliers and postcards? Are you still attending your networking events and business lead swap meetings? What advertising or promotions are you doing, right now?

huggytree
12-29-2009, 01:48 PM
yes...just send out my monthly fliers 2 weeks ago...also had some hits from it...new homes...i still attend everything...i even joined a 2nd networking group....im still doing everything i can....i started cold calling from my contractor list...

housing may be up 50% from last January...but a 50% increase from 25 houses is 37 houses...its a pittyful #....in its peak it was 200 a month+...i get the graphs on housing starts from my builder association every quarter...2009 is way down from 2008...2008 was way down from 2007....new housing starts are a small % of the overall picture...remodeling is way down....im 100% sure its not me...its the market....that 50% increase doesnt tell you its the homeowner friends doing the plumbing...yet ive had 3 in a row lost to that....ive only done 3 new homes this whole year...last year was 6..... so new homes is really not my main focus...there never was $ in it, so i just do them for filler and because i enjoy working on new homes...

everyone knows who i am...im very involved with 2 builder associations......ive had many referrals who told me they had 2 or 3 people refer me....everywhere they went someone brought my name up...one guy knew 4 of my contacts this summer...i even do Linked In

people are just not spending...and when they are its the lowest priced option they can find.

i finally stopped hearing layoff stories 1 month ago...i havent known anyone personally in 2 months...im not even excited about tax return time...last year very few people spent it on remodeling like they normally would...this year they wont either.

Harold Mansfield
12-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Someone told me a long time ago, no matter how bad the economy is, or what kind of "hiccup" we are going through, there has been and will always be people out there that still have money to spend and will continue to spend, you just have to find them and get them.

Only 10% of the workforce is filing for unemployment..that means that 90% of the people that normally work...are still working..and they still need stuff, and they will still spend on rest, relaxation, and entertainment. Maybe a little less because of some fear, but they are still spending.

we just aren't blowing money and running up ungodly amounts of credit right now..but there is money out there.

Spider
12-29-2009, 02:26 PM
I'm glad to see that you are maitaining your advertising and promotion, Dave - and even increasing it. That's good. When work is slack, you might as well get out and about, meeting industry people, as sitting at home watching television! You might get a copy of Guerrilla Marketing, if you don't have one already, and see what additional low cost/no cost advertising you could do.

Yes, I understand about the housing starts, but it was the only official statistic close to your home I could put my hands on quickly. While it alone may not be especially relevant to your business, all these things go in unison, to some degree - if housing starts are up, there's a good likelihood that renovations are up too - to differing degrees, some advance and some lag, but, by and large, it's best to use the information you have than guess about information you don't have.

I found I was able to get a lot of advance information just socializing with architects and engineers. Who are your local industry leaders that you might socialize with?

KarenB
01-02-2010, 10:13 AM
Great question, eborg!

1) I already started on one of my 2010 business resolutions late in December by increasing my team. I had already hit my 'ceiling' in terms of how much work I could do by myself and therefore my income would also be frozen at that level unless I expanded.

Scary stuff for me... since I'm a true control freak, but I'm already seeing the payoffs. I managed to find some top-notch folks to work with me and now I am free to market for more business in 2010. In fact, in 2009, I was forced to turn away some business and/or refer it to others because I just didn't have the bandwidth anymore.

2) Like Kristine said, "Write more." I try to update my blog at least once a week and am chock full of ideas, but I seem to never schedule any time for it. It's more or less a hit-or-miss thing and I need to be more organized about it.

3) With regard to the dress thing, after years and years in a corporate environment wearing those 'dress for success' clothes and high heels, when I first started working from my home office a few years ago, I kind of rebelled just on principle alone! Fuzzy slippers and jammies sounded SO good to me!

But like a lot of folks, I found that I didn't feel as professional or productive, so I at least now dress 'business casual', plus I actually put on my 'face' every morning. Yes, for you men out there, a lot of us women don't have a face unless we put it on. (I feel naked without my mascara even if it's only my cats and immediate family who are forced to look at me! LOL)

Kidding aside, this is a great thread and I hope to hear from a lot more of you on this very timely topic.

All the best in 2010 for everyone!

Karen

huggytree
01-04-2010, 05:25 PM
Fredrick, im just going to sit around for 2 months...until spring....its the beginning of my 4th year so i know what to expect...Jan. is just finishing existing projects and Feb. is absolutely dead(typically 40 hours all month)....i have enough work in Jan. to break even and Feb. will be a loss(it always is)....I will be calling every contractor personally starting next week..that typically takes 2-3 days...it rarely gets me anything, but it will clean up my mailing list..there are alot of employees let go and i dont want to be writing 'attention' to someone whos fired.

i have been getting to know architects...engineers are more for commercial and for builders...ive been working my way into clicks at builder meetings...im the only guy in a large highend click now...its all older ladies and they like that i pay attention to them..we pass work around....my newest phone book idea is working(small phone book in highend neighborhood...i used 'locally owned' phrase to be different)

im doing all i can...still.....always will....the one thing i cant do is make people spend $$

i hear positive news on the economy on the news....i dont see it here yet...there may be a slight glimmer of hope over the past 3 weeks...its too small to say its a positive trend, but i am getting referral calls again...its all small jobs and its not many, but its better than its been in 4 months.....its the only positive news i have for the new year... i still vote the economy being worse or the same as last year. i dont see sales being up

huggytree
01-30-2010, 08:52 AM
i had to resurrect this post because a couple of days after my last posting things started going CRAZY BUSY....i havent had time to even touch the computer in weeks.

3 weeks of 8-10 hours a day in the field and 3-4 at home(office)...i had 5 new builders contact me just this week..I went 4-5 months w/o much homeowner work...now most of my jobs are homeowner projects....every one i bid on i get...many sign on the spot...

i ask other tradesman and they dont see it....so im not sure yet if its a trend or just a lucky streak....this is now my best Jan. on record and I already know Feb will also be my best...i have enough work sold for Feb. to break even already....typically Feb. is a loss

1 week after Christmas people started spending again.

I have lowered my prices for Feb work also....im happy to make almost anything during a month where i typically only work 40 hours....better to work 100 hours for a bit less than sit at home making nothing...prices go back up starting March.

Spider
01-30-2010, 10:20 AM
...When work is slack, you might as well get out and about, meeting industry people, as sitting at home watching television! ...

Fredrick, im just going to sit around for 2 months...until spring....its the beginning of my 4th year so i know what to expect....

i had to resurrect this post because a couple of days after my last posting things started going CRAZY BUSY.....

I just had to pull these remarks together. It's funny how we "know" what to expect and then things conspire to prove us wrong. Glad to see you are busy again.

It might be the start of a trend, it might be a lucky streak, as you say -- it could also be the result of your continuing to advertise and promote yourself during the slump. I am inclined to think this is a result of your own efforts.

I have started promoting my book, as promised. I'm making plans to speak more. 2010 will be a great year!

huggytree
01-30-2010, 06:08 PM
i will never understand why i work 4 hours one week with no calls and 1 week later im working 10 hour days and the phone is ringing off the hook...i always get down on everything on my slow weeks and feel great on my up weeks..its a roller coaster for sure.

i went 4 months w/o hardly 1 water heater replacement call...then i had 8 calls in 1 week a week ago..(i think a few were other plumbers comparing though)..its all just odd.. i would think water heaters would be a steady thing...but its not

all i know is homeowners seem to be spending again..i have several customers who are now on their 3rd plumbing project w/ me...i find that surprising that someone could use me 3x when ive only been in business for 3 years, but i have over 10 customers who have.

the homeowner calls ive had DO seem to be looking for better quality lately too..they are getting my name from sources like builder associations

Spider
01-31-2010, 09:25 AM
You're doing great, Dave! As a one-man business, it will fluctuate. To get a more steady flow of work you will need large contracts, but that involves other headaches. You are not targetting large contracts, though, so prepare yourself to ride the roller-coaster.

If you can learn to enjoy the down-time and not worry about it, your business life (and possibly your home life, too) will be a lot happier. I think happiness at work is vitally important. When you can maintain a generally happy state, problems are easier to solve, progress is easier to achieve and success is certainly more assured.

vangogh
02-01-2010, 11:16 AM
i will never understand why i work 4 hours one week with no calls and 1 week later im working 10 hour days and the phone is ringing off the hook...i always get down on everything on my slow weeks and feel great on my up weeks..its a roller coaster for sure.

Dave that's normal, especially for small businesses. All it takes is a few jobs one way or the other to make us slow or busy. Try not to get too down during slow weeks or too high during business weeks.

What I try to do is work on my own projects in between client work. For me that might mean developing a new site or putting more into my blog. For you it might mean more advertising or reworking your existing advertising. Maybe the slow weeks are the weeks you put more time into networking. The main point is to find something that can help your business that doesn't require working on a customer's job and spend more time on those things when your business is a little slow.

huggytree
02-02-2010, 06:56 PM
when you go a few weeks without a call its gets pretty scary....

when you go 3-4 weeks being burried you think maybe it will last....

ive had 4 great weeks now...next week...nothing...im on vacation for 2 days, so im glad for the break...

either im stressed that im slow or stressed that im too busy....id love to someday be steady and happy......yea it will probably never happen, but it would be nice.

Spider
02-02-2010, 11:12 PM
There are a number of things involved in running a one-man business - the work (in this case plumbing), estimating, materials purchases and stocking, accounts and bookkeeping, advertising and promotion, continuing education, analyzing and determining future trends, cashflow projections and budgeting, collecting and paying bills, and when you hire people there will be employee training, deployment and other personnel matters.

It seems as if you are considering only the plumbing as being "the work" and all the other stuff as "not work." It's all work - it's all the business of your company. When you are not plumbing, you will be doing the books, bidding, analyzing the future, preparing cashflow projections, etc, etc. So, sometimes you do more of one and less of another. But it all has to be done and it all takes time.

The stress you are describing is a result of your thinking, not a result of the workflow. You can be steady and happy right now, if you choose to be so.

vangogh
02-03-2010, 11:53 AM
Dave I understand how you feel about the ups and downs. The same thing happens to me and I would imagine to many of us here. It's easy to get caught up in a busy month or two and think it will continue and it's also easy to get down after one or two slow months.

It's the nature of the game though. For many of us the difference between a good and bad month might only be a small handful of jobs. It's hard to place statistical significance on such small numbers so you can't automatically assume next mont will be like this month. I try to compare how I'm doing now with where I was 6 months ago or a year. As you look at things over a larger time frame the numbers do become more statistically significant.

It's also why I say not to get too high or low about any month or two. You're generally never doing as well as you think in your best months or as poor as you think in the bad months. Not getting too high or low keeps you more on an even keel overall.

I also think it's a good idea to always have something you can be doing during slow months. Think of all the things you want to do, but don't have time for when you're busy. See the slow months as an opportunity to do some of those things. True you won't be making as much money during those months, but you will be preparing your business for growth in the months ahead. You busy months will be busier and your slow months won't be quite as slow if you use the downtime to work on some aspect of your business.

Blessed
02-03-2010, 10:26 PM
I'm late to this thread but want to chime in on the whole good month/bad month/level of stress thing.

I've finally learned to just look at quarters rather than weeks or months. It's greatly alleviated my stress. Yes I have some really slow work weeks and some really busy work weeks - even some slower months and busier months but over the course of 3 months it seems like things are pretty level so that is how I look at my income streams now. Whenever my work is slow I work on networking and all the other stuff I need to do to maintain my workload. One of these days I'll be putting forth extra effort to increase my workload!

vangogh
02-04-2010, 01:11 AM
I know with my business the difference between a good month and a bad could simply be a client paying late or a couple of jobs that get postponed a few weeks. I learned a few years ago that it was a good idea to have project of my own to work on when client work is slow.

Now I can always keep busy and moving forward even during those slow times.

Steve B
02-04-2010, 06:19 AM
I second the notion of looking at things in terms of Quarters instead of months. It will smooth out the numbers, yet still give you meaningful trends without causing overreactions.