PDA

View Full Version : Why do you do what you do?

Aaron Hats
08-21-2008, 12:35 PM
I do what I do so that I can live in a place where seeing this is a regular occurance:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b209/AaronHats2/IMG_0446.jpg

and so that I can do this every fall:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b209/AaronHats2/Pheasant-SmallImage.jpg

You can really tell I grew up in a city can you?

Why do you do what you do?

Blessed
08-21-2008, 03:52 PM
I do it so that I can stay home with my little one and because I really enjoy the field I landed in out of high school (there was nothing deliberate about how I ended up doing graphic design and marketing!).

KristineS
08-21-2008, 03:55 PM
Because I've always been a writer. I'm happiest when I'm writing and being creative. Given that, Marketing seemed a natural field to pursue.

cbscreative
08-21-2008, 04:56 PM
I do this because it's what I enjoy. I used to do graphics production (signs, screen printing, etc.), which is great for experience, but it's rare to be able to do both design and production. Production requires volume which doesn't leave much time for design. This way I get to create rather than mostly replicate. And I get to be at home.

Steve B
08-21-2008, 08:22 PM
I love dogs. I love saving their lives and I love the amazement and gratitude that their owners have when they know they can let their dogs outside without worrying about them getting hit by a car.

Getting out of all those stupid corporate meetings is also a huge plus (it's been over two years since I've heard a sports analogy to describe a business situation).

orion_joel
08-21-2008, 11:27 PM
The reason i went into my own business was so that i could work when and where and how i wanted. Initially this worked really well, i generally only spent about 2 to 3 hours actually even thinking about work each day, and was making more then i could working for someone else. Go off for a coffee or whatever when i wanted to (the good things about working from home). This was even before i got all the portable items (Mobile Broadband, Battery Power HP Printer, Laptop) In theory now i could work from literally anywhere, but am stuck working for someone else to make up the shortfall. I think i will have to put in a good solid effort to get back up there.

Aaron Hats
08-22-2008, 05:46 AM
Getting out of all those stupid corporate meetings is also a huge plus (it's been over two years since I've heard a sports analogy to describe a business situation).

I love it. Can't think of a better reason than that. ;)

Leatherneck
08-22-2008, 11:05 AM
I guess the main reason is, I have worked outside most of my life, and been seff employed as a carpenter. I would have a real hard time working indoors, but mostly I don't think I could ever work for someone over me especially some one who is arogant and knows it all.

cbscreative
08-22-2008, 12:29 PM
I agree totally, Mak, although as I outlined in another thread that I wasn't planning on a business until I started this one, I could never go back to having someone else control my destiny. And the guy I worked for before I started this...just what you indicated.

Marcomguy
08-22-2008, 07:34 PM
I do this because I absolutely love my work.

So many days, time gets taken up with client phone calls, emails, follow-ups and so on, I have no time to write. Then, suddenly, all of the non-writing demands on my time end and I'm free to think and write. I love those moments.

That I can do this and be paid for it and only answer to one boss - my wife - is the best deal ever.

Leatherneck
08-23-2008, 11:42 AM
I forgot too mention to you Aaron that I have been up your way several times over the years, I went too the top of Mount Washington a few years ago. It is simply beautiful up your way. Nice pictures also.

the goat
08-25-2008, 01:55 PM
I have pretty much done everything I have ever done because it made me happy. I am a hedonist.

KristineS
08-25-2008, 02:44 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with that. If you can find a way to make a living and enjoy yourself, why shouldn't you do so?