PDA

View Full Version : snow boarding

huggytree
12-17-2009, 07:59 PM
I always go sledding with the kids...i have a large blow up sled (3 people)..it wont fit in the minivan...it must go on the roof..

i keep seeing snowboarders at the local sledding hill....im interested....anyone have a type or brand of snowboard to recommend for a 39 year old starter?

Ive done down hill skiing a couple of times and always planned on getting the whole family involved in downhill skiing someday when they are older, but maybe snowboarding would be better.

Patrysha
12-17-2009, 08:15 PM
I have no idea...but I would love to try it myself one day.

Do ski hills rent snowboards like they rent skis? That'd be where I'd start

And likely where it would end too...with how often we'd get out if we actually did pick it up, I don't think we'd get our money's worth out of them during a season and they'd suck up garage space too...we already have four sets of cross country ski's that have been used all of once because we only have four sets and five people...of course now we can't use them because the boots got lost in the a summer move and we didn't figure it out until after the landlady had sold the house we'd been renting...

Dan Furman
12-17-2009, 08:40 PM
anyone have a type or brand of snowboard to recommend for a 39 year old starter?

Lazy Boy?

Barcelounger?

nealrm
12-17-2009, 10:39 PM
Go with the model with built in airbags.:)

Spider
12-17-2009, 11:28 PM
I tried skateboarding once, a long time ago.
Once!

Now you they have snowboarding? I had difficulty enough standing up on two skis - now we should try standing up on one fat, short ski?

You can have the mountains and the snow - give me the beach, the sun, and scuba-diving. You know - WARM!

billbenson
12-18-2009, 02:11 AM
You can have the mountains and the snow - give me the beach, the sun, and scuba-diving. You know - WARM!

I agree Frederick.

If I were to take up a winter sport, I would think snowboarding would be the one. I suspect it is very similar to surfing, where momentum and balance is critical.

I think I have read that the snowboarders are restricted to certain slopes at the ski resorts as they don't mix well with skiers.

I suspect its something thats going to require a 40 y/o a year of working at it every weekend to pick it up to the point its fun. I also bet the kids pick it up right away. If you have really good balance and coordintation, you might be the exception. Everything gets more difficult to learn when you get older.

I'm working at perfecting not spilling my martini in the hammock right now. That is a sport for us old guys.

huggytree
12-18-2009, 07:24 AM
when i take the kids sledding i could be snow boarding...the board is extremely wide..atleast the ones i see (i assume its the beginner board)...this way ill be 5 years ahead of my kids into the sport...no ski hills for a while or rentals...i just want to be on the same hill as the kids doing something different once in a while

billbenson
12-18-2009, 01:09 PM
try a beginning snowboarding search on youtube. There were some good tutorials on the basics. Also you might try a craigs list search for snowboards.

Looks like fun.

Dan Furman
12-18-2009, 01:16 PM
when i take the kids sledding i could be snow boarding...the board is extremely wide..atleast the ones i see (i assume its the beginner board)...this way ill be 5 years ahead of my kids into the sport...no ski hills for a while or rentals...i just want to be on the same hill as the kids doing something different once in a while

Kind of a serious question... you have good disability insurance, right?

Patrysha
12-18-2009, 01:55 PM
I can't imagine snowboarding on sledding hills...you guys must sled different around there than here...

huggytree
12-19-2009, 10:44 AM
the local sledding hill has 2 sides...each side is 25 yards wide x 50 yards long+...sometimes there are no people on one of the sides, other times there may be 15 kids/parents on each side...they bury garbage barrels to make 3' tall ramps for the snowboarders...(i wouldnt be doing that ever)...there is typically a few snowboards everytime we go sledding....any accidents ive ever seen are sled to sled crashes

id just be happy to go down the hill next to the kids...just like i do now in a sled.

yes i have very good disability....i take the least amount of risk in everything i do..