PDA

View Full Version : Tumblr

Paper Shredder Clay
12-15-2009, 01:35 PM
What is your guys opinion about tumblr? Do you use it? I think its pretty cool, you can basically consolidate your tweets with your blogging in one platform. I have recently started using it pretty regularly.

(A link to my tumblr account is in my signature.)

vangogh
12-15-2009, 05:18 PM
I opened an account a couple of years ago, but never used it after a day or two. I don't remember why. After awhile you can only deal with so many social sites and I guess that was one that didn't do it for me. I might give it a second look, but for now I'm fine tweeting through Tweetie.

One of the things I've discovered about social sites and how much I use them is what tools I can use to interact with one and how much I like those tools. If I have to visit a site in a browser to use it, then it's probably not happening. My browser is too full with other things.

None of that's meant to be a knock against Tumblr, by the way. I've generally heard good things about it. It's more that I haven't found a way to integrate it with my workflow or generated enough interest to see out a way.

ChrisHeggem
01-14-2011, 04:28 PM
I actually like Tumblr as a way to communicate and engage friends and family. It's extremely simple and the ability to post from almost any device is wonderful.

Using Tumblr for business is a completely different story. Tumblr doesn't have the same features or community backing it like WordPress does. What were you thinking of using Tumblr for?

Harold Mansfield
01-14-2011, 05:35 PM
I'm with VG. I opened an account a while back but there just isn't anything about it that appeals to me that makes me want administer another profile somewhere. It also doesn't really do anything that I can't set up myself on any other social site, or blog or whatever it's supposed to be.
Not saying that I don't like it. I just don't get what's so special about it.

vangogh
01-14-2011, 10:42 PM
Chris what advantages do you see in Tumblr other than the ones you've mentioned so far? Not that those are bad by any means, just curious. In recent years most of the talk about Tumblr is as a blogging tool where the blogging is more short form. I use WordPress and I wonder what the big deal is. I can publish short or long posts with WordPress. I'm wondering what I would gain with Tumblr that I don't currently have using WordPress. I honestly don't see a lot. That doesn't mean someone choosing between the two now has to go with WordPress, but what would I get from switching?

I also see Tumblr is always on the Tumblr domain and I prefer building content on my own domain as opposed to someone else. I'll certain post content to other sites, but the majority is staying on my domain.

None of the above of course deals with the social nature of Tumblr and it's not meant to be a knock on Tumblr. It's more a lack of knowledge about Tumblr on my part. Anything you could share would be appreciated.

savantcreative
01-29-2011, 04:06 PM
I'm not sure what to make of it. According to me daughter I am too old to be on it :)

greenoak
02-01-2011, 11:10 PM
i think ill stick to facebook.... since about everybody is there already...

savantcreative
02-02-2011, 09:03 AM
I am trying to keep an open mind to it. FB wasn't respected when it first came into vogue either.

KristineS
02-02-2011, 01:55 PM
I've never really looked at Tumblr nor do I know much about it. I thought it was primarily for pictures? Is that not the case?

savantcreative
02-02-2011, 03:25 PM
No. It's a bit like a social networking/blogging platform.

KristineS
02-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Hmm, all I've ever seen people use it for is pictures. Guess I should investigate a bit.

vangogh
02-02-2011, 11:50 PM
It's blogging in between the longer form blog post and the 140 characters of Twitter. I haven't looked at it enough to know how it functions socially.

greenoak
02-03-2011, 08:53 AM
vg..i really think about your view of putting your main efforts into your own domain...but it just doesnt seem to fit our our business...... .one trouble i see for me is ease...i can put things on my blog or facebook so fast and easy...if i wanted to do that on my website 3 or 4 times a week i would have to hire a new worker...and a huge portion of my customers use facebook daily...
so i figure i will keep my website as good as i can and use the blog and facebook as well as i can while they are still interesting and being used daily or weekly by my customers...and my customers really like it...so i never quite see the downside of using those things majorly...things always change i know that..but right now i know my main customers ...women from 30 to 70 are on facebook in a totally revolutionary way and i want to be there....
i would guess if 10 to 50 saw my website last week about 1500 saw each of my facebook posts ......probably more...and its a whole different experience...if they need a map or hours or more info they can go to the website...
im local....which is different from many on here...

jamesray50
02-03-2011, 09:39 AM
I didn't even know about Tumblr. I use Twitter. I can write something short and sweet, or I can include a link to my blog, or another website, or I can retweet something someone else wrote. And everthing thing I tweet is posted to my facebook page and LinkedIn page. That's enough for me. I've been getting more followers on twitter and comments now on facebook.

vangogh
02-03-2011, 10:56 AM
Ann would you run your store by putting all your efforts into someone else's store? That's essentially what you're doing if you put all your efforts into someone else's website without putting any into your own.

I've never suggested not having a Facebook fanpage or ignoring Facebook. It's good that you use it and connect with people there. It's more that you're missing out on opportunities if you're not also working on your own site. The main reason more people currently visit your Facebook page over your site is because you promote your Facebook page more and you put more effort into Facebook. It's not proof that Facebook is better. It's proof that's where you put more of your effort.

I think it's great that you're successfully marketing through Facebook. I'm just suggesting your own site has more potential for your businesses success.

greenoak
02-03-2011, 11:59 AM
thanks vg...i guess we just continue to disagree on the value of fb..in a cordial way of course!!! ...... i dont see you addressing the fact that i interact with 1200 , mostly actual customers at least 2 times a week on my facebook....im not sure how you are saying the website could do that, or even come close... or what i should do locally to get that kind of response to my website....
...do you get that many very potential or actual customers visiting in a week.?..
...that just never happens on my website...and ive worked it hard on it for a lot of years.and figure it is used way above normal for a non selling site... guessing there but i hear compliments on it a lot.....the website is very satisfactory too...but nothing like the facebook traffic...
i just cant put facebook way below my website in value to the store.......they are different and in my eyes about equal in value...its like our pick up truck and the box truck....both good and needed.and doing different jobs...
right now my problem is getting the american express ...small business saturday... widget on my business page not my friend page...its on my friend page this morning and getting a lot of good response....but i want it on my business page...so frustrating .

vangogh
02-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Ann I've never suggested that Facebook doesn't have value. I think it has great value as a marketing tool and it's great that you interact with 1200 people there. I've never suggested that Facebook doesn't have value or you shouldn't be there. I'm just saying a website also has value and ultimately has more value than Facebook if you use your site well.

do you get that many very potential or actual customers visiting in a week

You certainly can. It may not happen as quickly and easily as it will happen on Facebook, but if you do it right you can get more potential and actual customers visiting your in a week or a day or an hour than you will from Facebook.