PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Fan Page for my business - advice

cvsols
12-14-2009, 09:29 PM
I'd really like to setup a Facebook Fan Page for my business, however, I'm still gainfully employed at a full time JOB. I have several of my co-workers as friends on my personal page and am more than a little nervous that they could stumble on to my business page. Has anyone had this same dilemma? What would you do? ;)

Thanks for the feedback
Susan

Spider
12-14-2009, 10:37 PM
While there are all sorts of security and privacy settings in many places on the web, your information is out there in the wide blue yonder. I work on the basis that if I don't want anyone to know, I don't put it on the web. Period. Thus, I have no security or privacy concerns whatsoever.

I accept that many people feel differently, but this way has worked well for me. If you have secrets you want to keep, and you want to post them on the web, then I would prepare a backup plan, ready with answers in case you are found out.

To refer to your specific question, Susan, when you create a FaceBook page (was called a fanpage, but they don't seem to refer to it as such, anymore, even though members are still called fans) you are listed somewhere as the creator. I have two pages and never seen my name mentioned. When I post on the page's wall or elsewhere on the page - discussions, for example - my posts are named the page name, not my personal name. Go to either of --

Self Improvement | Facebook (http://facebook.com/selfimprove)
KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE PRIZE | Facebook (http://facebook.com/keepyoureyes)

... to see what I mean and look around.

eborg has a couple of great pages, too, that you may want to check out.

So, there is a good chance that if one of your co-workers stumbles across your page, they probably won't know it's yours.

Patrysha
12-14-2009, 10:55 PM
Hmm the only times I had to deal with that, my full time employers were aware that I was a business owner already so it really wasn't an issue. I think if it is not known that you should not have one until you can afford to be without the job. JMO.

vangogh
12-15-2009, 01:53 AM
Like Frederick said if you put it on the web it can be found. As it is your site can now be found and I would think your co-workers could stumble upon that as well. As you build your business your clients could end up knowing your co-workers. And it goes on.

I understand the dilemma though. Would it help if your fan page didn't use your name, but only the business name? That might be one level of obscurity.

Are any of the co-workers you friend on Facebook in a position of authority over you? Do you trust them enough to keep your secret temporarily? It's also quite possible they would never stumble upon the fan page, though more likely at least one of them would.

At some point people you work are going to know about your business. You could explain to them it's something you're doing part time in order to protect yourself against another downturn in the economy.

This isn't a problem I had since I plunged full time into my own business without the safety net. I knew unless I gave it my full attention my business wouldn't get to where I wanted it to get. I don't know that it would have bothered me to have co-workers find out, though. I wouldn't have run out and told them, but I wouldn't have hidden it from them either.

Steve B
12-15-2009, 03:57 AM
If you put it on the internet - you have to accept that anyone will be able to find it. Just ask Tiger Woods!

As a matter of fact, they will probably be able to find this discussion on this forum one day if they Google your name. Your intro thread shows up at the top of the second page when I google "Susan Mershon".

I went through that phase when I started my business, but still had a regular job. I missed out on some of the free press that a new business can get because I wanted to stay low key. I tried for "low key" but I knew I couldn't totally hide it.

KristineS
12-15-2009, 08:30 AM
I'll echo what the others have said, if you put it on the Internet, people will find it. My advice is don't do it unless you can afford to lose your full time job. If you're comfortable with that risk, then forge ahead, if not, wait until you are comfortable.

greenoak
12-15-2009, 09:02 AM
whats the problem?
unless you are doing it on the employers time or you are trying for the same business he is why does it matter?
i sure agree there probably wont be any secrets for long...
my faceboook page is new and i want my name out there.....in about a month i have about 180 fans.....most came from knowing me or my store in some way .... anywhere i am online..blogs site or personal page on fb i have a way to get to my fan page....
ann

Spider
12-15-2009, 09:23 AM
There's another way -- Tell your boss what you are doing and try to get his help. Not all bosses are intent on holding their employees back.

When I went out on my own my boss knew exactly what I was doing and started to encourage me. No, not because he was glad to see me go! In fact, my old company became one of my first customers, and was a great boost to the early business.

vangogh
12-15-2009, 11:06 AM
Tell your boss what you are doing and try to get his help. Not all bosses are intent on holding their employees back.

Very true. Susan you know you're boss better than we do, but is it possible you're starting your own business on the side wouldn't be a problem?

Harold Mansfield
12-15-2009, 02:22 PM
You already have a business website, so you have already crossed the threshold. Anything else (Twitter, Facebook, Linked In) is just an extension of that..I don't see any greater risk to your livelihood more than what you have already done.

Best advice is to treat your side business completely separate from your work life..in other words..treat it like "Fight Club"...don't talk about it with your co-workers. Don't talk about it at work. Don't bring attention to it around anything having to do with your current job.

As far as a Facebook fan page is concerned, don't invite any co-workers to join it. Keep it completely separate from your personal page.

cvsols
12-15-2009, 10:08 PM
Thanks everyone for posting a response to this thread. I agree that since I've got my site up and running, anyone I work with could stumble across it. I understand that and am willing to take that risk. I was not clear on who sees what in Facebook and now have a better idea. I think I"m going to move forward with creating a page for my business. I'm willing to take my chances.

I'm not sure its a good idea to let my boss know about my business. Its hard to tell how she would react. So, I'm going to keep it quiet. I'll cross that bridge when and if we come to it.

This is a wonderful site, thank you all for being so generous with your thoughts and ideas. I appreciate it!
Happy Holidays
Susan ;)

Harold Mansfield
12-15-2009, 10:27 PM
I'm not sure its a good idea to let my boss know about my business. Its hard to tell how she would react. So, I'm going to keep it quiet. I'll cross that bridge when and if we come to it.

This is a wonderful site, thank you all for being so generous with your thoughts and ideas. I appreciate it!
Happy Holidays
Susan ;)

That's a big NO!
There's no reason for your boss to be in your personal life or side projects, unless you are going to go into business together.

Remember the first 2 rules of "Fight Club" (FYI: Fight Club is a 1999 movie with Ed Norton Jr and Brad Pitt)

1. Don't talk about Fight Club.
2. DO NOT talk about Fight Club!

Treat your side business the same way.

I lost a good job once because everyone knew I had a second job where I made good money and when it came time for cut backs..the guy with 2 jobs was first.

cvsols
12-15-2009, 10:44 PM
Hi Harold - I agree with you. I'm not going to be sharing any information with my co-workers. If they find it on their own, then I'll address it as needed.

I like your fight club reference! Its a great line from a great movie.

Susan

vangogh
12-16-2009, 03:28 AM

We try. One of the best things about this community is that I think we genuinely care about each other and want to see each other succeed. Some of us have been typing back and forth for years.

Makes sense about your boss and co-workers. Sounds like you're plan is get your business going and eventually leave the full time job. No reason to let the people at work know just in case, but no reason to hide it either if it means holding back on your business.

KristineS
12-16-2009, 01:30 PM
The key thing is just to know the potential risks and then to be at peace with whatever might happen. If you analyze the worst case scenario and then decide you can deal with that if it happens, then forge ahead. It sounds like you have a plan and you're ready to deal with whatever comes, so good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.