PDA

View Full Version : Using Google AdWords Keyword Tool To Increase Traffic to Your Blog

vangogh
08-20-2008, 01:45 PM
If you're marketing online understanding keywords and keyword tools is a must. One excellent use is for market research for your blog topic and post titles.

Darren Rowse posted today about how he uses Google's AdWords Keyword Tool for choosing a topic for your blog and for writing better post titles (http://www.problogger.net/archives/2008/08/21/adword-keyword-tool-how-to-use-it-to-hone-post-titles-and-choose-blog-topics/).

Simple stuff that can greatly influence the potential traffic you generate for your blog as a whole and to individual posts.

KristineS
08-20-2008, 03:49 PM
I never thought of this, but it's an interesting idea. I'm the queen of writing awful titles for my blog posts, because I just write what amuses me and not what will rank well for certain keywords. I may have to rethink that.

vangogh
08-20-2008, 05:34 PM
Titles definitely play an important role in ranking so it's good to consider them.

However you also have to think of enticing people to click. Sometimes a keyword rich title isn't all that exciting and while it may rank well no one is reading. One thing some people do is write post titles with the goal of getting the title to stand out in a feed reader and get people reading. These might be the more sensationalist sounding titles. Then after a week or two when most people have seen the post title in their feed they change the title to be more keyword rich for ranking.

Business Attorney
08-20-2008, 06:56 PM
I've bought a few domain names from time to time and use Google AdWords Keyword Tool to decide on a name in a close call. In fact, in 2006 when I bought illinoisbusinessattorney.com I used the tool to decide between "attorney" or "lawyer". At the time (I haven't checked since), the word attorney was searched more often than lawyer, so I went with the one that was searched more often, since I was otherwise indifferent.