PDA

View Full Version : Business Logo Font, Potential Problem, Need Opinions.

MikeNetFX
12-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Hello all, first time in the forum, and i am looking forward to being quite active here.

I am in the start-up phase of my small computer repair business, and i am worried about my logo i designed.

I obtained the font for free from a font website, and i have come to find out that the font was designed after the logo for Mercury Marine Motors (http://www.mercurymarine.com/). I was hoping to get some opinions from some of you to see how close my logo compares to theirs and if it is something i should worry about before i proceed to trademarking.

Here is Mercury's logo, and my logo:

(imaged removed, because problem is solved and i don't want these up here to long)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Evan
12-09-2009, 10:07 PM
I don't think it resembles it at all. There doesn't seem to be any violation of trademark laws.

If you made marine motors, I'd probably be more concerned.

For example, take eBay's logo. People have started similar auction sites and used a similar layout and subsequently got sued for trademark infringement. Had they taken the concept, and modified it accordingly -- they could have used it for something like a search engine. Like Google!

handprop
12-09-2009, 11:29 PM
If you plan on having a service van or something similar you may want to reconsider the aspect ratio. Being as it's pretty long for the width clarity could be an issue depending on what your planning to print it on.

Just a thought

Mike

MikeNetFX
12-09-2009, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, i really do appreciate your thoughts.

I don't think it resembles it at all. There doesn't seem to be any violation of trademark laws.

If you made marine motors, I'd probably be more concerned.

For example, take eBay's logo. People have started similar auction sites and used a similar layout and subsequently got sued for trademark infringement. Had they taken the concept, and modified it accordingly -- they could have used it for something like a search engine. Like Google!

So you don't think that the font alone is to similar? This is good news!

I'm just not sure how altered something has to be. I've heard stories of people having something that looks closely like another product, etc. and they got in trouble.

And @ Handprop, i had thought about that before, and i have been very careful so far when it comes to printing, placement, etc. It is still kind of a "prototype" i guess you can say. I have a feeling it might be cumbersome in the future. Thanks for that second opinion!

vangogh
12-10-2009, 12:26 AM
The logo itself looks different, but the font does look the same. If you are using a font with a license that prohibits it's use then you need to either get permission from the creator of the font (for a fee most likely) or you can't use it.

Do you remember which site you downloaded the font from or at least the name of the font? You should be able to find the license if one exists. Not finding a license doesn't mean you can automatically use the font though. See if you can find either a license of the name of the person or foundry who created the font.

MikeNetFX
12-10-2009, 12:42 AM
The logo itself looks different, but the font does look the same. If you are using a font with a license that prohibits it's use then you need to either get permission from the creator of the font (for a fee most likely) or you can't use it.

Do you remember which site you downloaded the font from or at least the name of the font? You should be able to find the license if one exists. Not finding a license doesn't mean you can automatically use the font though. See if you can find either a license of the name of the person or foundry who created the font.

Yes, i am actually already in contact with the creator of the font. He had to discontinue the font himself because Mercury had contacted him about the infringement. Although it was something to do only with the 'wave' part of the letters which i do not intend to use anyways. I am not sure how this would effect my ability to buy a license from him to use it (if possible). I have yet to speak to him about using the font officially.

Near the download link from the download site i got it from, it said "free for personal or commercial use".

EDIT:
http://www.fontmesa.com/famous_font_usage.html
I just found this on the creator's website. According to them, as long as i don't actually re-create their logo i should be ok.
What do you guys think about this?

vangogh
12-10-2009, 01:06 AM
You're way ahead of me then. Assuming it is free for personal or commercial use you should be fine. I think the creator will be able to tell you more than any of us, though.

How wedded are you to that particular font? I would imagine you could find something similar to it that would work just as well. Is that an option?