PDA

View Full Version : Safety Site REDO

Safety Guy
12-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Alright...
I know it's been awhile, but this site ROCKS!

I've been busy trying to apply many of the things a few of you said just had to happen.

Well, here is the new begining - Needing more help with WP. I'm not up and running on Google searches the way I was hoping.

National Safety Consulting (http://www.nationalsafetyclasses.com)

What's next? Step one only please... I dont need to get all overwhelmed.

lav
12-09-2009, 04:46 PM
I didnt read much of your conten but as far as the way the site looks great job, I love the grey feeling with just a touch of color. Dont let people tell you that it needs more colour you have just enough as it will draw attention to any color in your posts. I think you could make more use of the sidebar than just the calendar but Im sure you will get to that in time.

Only thing I would be worried about is that your footer has a link to "bulk email software"

vangogh
12-10-2009, 01:15 AM
I think the site looks good too and I was also going to mention the bulk email software. That alone would be enough to make most people leave I think. Is that link there for a reason?

One thing you should do is fix the page titles. For some reason WordPress shows page titles as

Blog Name | Post or page title

by default. It should be the other way around. There are some plugins you can install that will fix it as well as do some other things, but the code is located in header.php between the title tags if you want to dive into the code.

Also you're urls are still set to show as page_id=2, etc. You want to set permalinks. Log into the admin side of your site and looking under Settings > Permalinks. Choose the custom option and then add either

/%postname%/

or

/%category&/%postname%/

The first will show only the name of the post or page and the second will show the category and then the post or page name. I like using the category/postname, but I've seen reasons for using either one over the other.

rezzy
12-10-2009, 01:45 AM
Also you're urls are still set to show as page_id=2, etc. You want to set permalinks. Log into the admin side of your site and looking under Settings > Permalinks. Choose the custom option and then add either

/%postname%/

or

/%category&/%postname%/

The first will show only the name of the post or page and the second will show the category and then the post or page name. I like using the category/postname, but I've seen reasons for using either one over the other.

I was just about to suggest the same thing. This will help with Search engine optimization.

vangogh
12-10-2009, 02:21 AM
Ha ha. Beat you to it :)

Safety Guy
12-10-2009, 03:36 PM
Okay... did I do it?
<please set up a signature>

vangogh
12-10-2009, 11:55 PM
Looks like you did. If I'm correct you went the /&#37;postname%/ route.

Just look at your URLs and how much more they let people know what the page is about. They're so much more usable now. With search engines having the keywords in the URL probably offers some small benefit. Better is that anytime someone uses your URL as the anchor text of a link to the page you get the keywords into the link.

The page titles still show Blog Name | Post or Page Name

Fixing that is your next assignment :)

Safety Guy
12-11-2009, 07:53 AM
I tried category / postname

1. How do I check URLs?
and
2. What plugin should I use to remove blognam, post name...?

Thanks for coming back Vangogh...

vangogh
12-11-2009, 01:05 PM
The URLs look fine. Just click around on your site and see what shows in the address bar of your browser. Before they were showing something like domain.com/?page_id=4 and now they show as domain.com/name-of-page which is much more friendly.

For the page title you don't need a plugin. Looking in the folder for your theme and find the file header.php. Towards the top there should be some code in between <title></title> tags. The code will be php, but I think you'll be able to tell what does what. It's not complicated, though it will probably look a little foreign to you.

What you want to do is reverse things so that the page or post name shows before the blog name.

I think the All in One SEO plugin will let you control the titles, but I'm suggesting you look first in the file and see if you can figure it out first since that will help you learn a little more about WordPress. The more familiar you are with your theme files the more you'll eventually be able to do so it's worth the time to look at them. The more familiar the less foreign the code will be.

Safety Guy
12-11-2009, 03:02 PM
I'll try...

vangogh
12-11-2009, 03:40 PM
Sent you a PM

camp185
01-14-2010, 04:01 PM
First a question, what is the calendar for? If it is not being used, I would get rid of it.

Second thing I would do is increase the font size. Is this site targeting 18 year olds? I think not. It's probably the 40 something crowd, and a lot of them use glasses. I would use nothing less than 1.0 em or 10px for your main content. Use em if you can so it's easy to edit with browser.