PDA

View Full Version : Shameless Brag!! My girls on ESPN!

Patrysha
12-09-2009, 11:36 AM
Okay, they aren't my girls...they are clients.

But I just got word that the video and photography teams just left after a five hour shoot in three locations :-) (School, Home and their dad's photography studio)

The footage and pictures from today were for the tv channel and the Girls Magazine as I understand it.

These are two teen girls (sisters) who started a part time online business with a single product (in a variety of colours) they loved a few years ago.

You can imagine what a thrill it has been to be part of the journey. To go from no media attention to being able to land national media coverage in their niche over the course of a year...it's very WOW to me.

This isn't really the first national recognition (they were in Volleyball magazine last year) but it is the biggest to date.

vangogh
12-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Cool. Any idea when they'll be on. My tv is practically frozen on ESPN throughout most of the day so my guess is I'll see them. I take it I'm looking for a story of two teenage girls who started a business and have a connection to volleyball?

I'll let you know if I see them and if you have any more information about when I should be looking let me know.

Patrysha
12-09-2009, 01:05 PM
I'll check with the client to see what they said about airing time.

Yeah the product is pre-wrap and I'm not sure if it is a Volleyball story or not...I'll have to see what sport led to all this.

How this came to be is that there was a high level athlete using the product and ESPN made contact because of that...then when they discovered it was a teen/athlete owned business...a story unfolded.

No idea how this will all play out, but the journey sure is fun.

When I started out this was all just theory and I wasn't sure what my results were going to be. I mean, it all sounds almost too simplistic to work, but then you try it and see it does work in small markets...well then you can't help but go after larger media with the clients that want it.

It's a good feeling to have tangible results :-)

Spider
12-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Well done, Patrysha!

Business Attorney
12-09-2009, 04:57 PM
Well, I had no idea what pre-wrap was so I put the term into Google to find out and ... voila!... it appears that your clients have the #1 position. Not bad.

Patrysha
12-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Yeah, their mom rocks in the SEO/Web stuff and their dad is a photographer so they had a lot going for them in addition to being the first to really market pre-wrap as a fashion accessory (it's been available for years as a sports/medical product).

vangogh
12-09-2009, 07:31 PM
The story might be on E60. It's a program (Tuesday nights?) where several of the ESPN reporters present different stories like this. That's not the only place it might air, but I have a hunch that's where it will air.

Patrysha
12-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Entirely possible :-) There are some publicity clients that I go so far as being their media spokesperson, but with some I just write and consult and help develop strategy. This one was more of the latter, so I'm not as directly involved in the day to day of publicity. I'll find out the details after they recover I imagine ;-)

KristineS
12-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Wow, that's pretty cool. I love hearing stories like this.