PDA

View Full Version : Wrestling match with a bug

cbscreative
12-08-2009, 04:02 PM
I don't know how the uninvited and unwelome bug even got into my gym, but I'd heard he had invaded other gyms. I just didn't think I would be invaded. From the moment he arrived, he showed nothing but disrespect: sticking gum under the benches, spilling pop on the floor, and leaving a sickening mess everywhere he went. I knew right away I was dealing with an arrogant punk and needed to get rid of him fast.

So I told him, "You better leave now while you have the chance."

Like a typical punk, he said, "Make me."

The fight was on!

ROUND 1 - He began immediately taunting and said, "It looks to me like your appetite isn't doing too well. What's wrong, can't hold down solid food? What's with the juice? How you gonna keep up your strength to fight? Oh, did I say strength? You're looking a bit weak and pale. And what about those chills and hot flashes as your fever goes up and down?" I said, "Don't worry about me, I've got plenty of surprises for you."

ROUND 2 - The badgering continues... "Still only drinking juice and not eating, eh?" So I changed the subject. "Let's talk about you and your future, or should I say, the lack thereof. First of all, you have no right to be in this gym and you're going down! Have you looked in the mirror? You're just a bug. You rule by intimidation like the playground bully. You have no substance and I'm not the least bit intimidated by you. You are the son of a mother devoid of discretion, and on top of that, you're a mutant! You come in here strutting your stuff like you're full of self importance. But you're nothing and it's time to leave."

ROUND 3 - Naturally he didn't like what I had to say, but I called his bluff and the only thing he had was incoherent ramblings. Round 3 went on without much incident as he made empty threats and I told him to prepare for defeat.

ROUND 4 - Now the gloves were off. I was done messing around. I ground that little punk into powder.

When he came to, I heard him ranting. "This isn't fair! I always keep these matches going at least 14 to 20+ Rounds, and after that, people are so worn out it takes them days, even weeks to recover. How did this happen?"

I said, "I'm not just anyone. I happen to be close personal friends with the creator of this body, and he's taught me a few things."

When I said that I could see the terror in his eyes, but he kept on ranting anyway. He made some comment that he was going after my family, expecting that would instill fear in me.

I repled, "That's not going to work either. You see...you're dead,"

Upon hearing that, the bug died.

©2009 Steve Chittenden

Steve B
12-08-2009, 04:23 PM
That must be too deep for me - it went over my head.

lav
12-08-2009, 05:02 PM
You are a big meany Steve......poor little bug :(

cbscreative
12-08-2009, 06:47 PM
That must be too deep for me - it went over my head.

Short version (analogy removed): I got sick last week from a bug that was going around. I shouldn't have caught it in the first place, but defeated the little pest in 4 days when most people battle for 2-3 weeks. I'm feeling better and the bug is dead.

cbscreative
12-08-2009, 06:48 PM
You are a big meany Steve......poor little bug :(

Yep, guilty.

vangogh
12-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Poor little bug. Do we need to call the SPCA? :)

Glad you're feeling better.

cbscreative
12-10-2009, 03:00 PM
What's with all the bug sympathy? There are good bugs and bad bugs. There are the ones God created, and then there are the mutants that arrived after the curse. This one was an evil mutant, a carrier of death and disease. Sympathy for that kind of bug is just wrong.

Now if this story had been about a honey bee, that would certainly be different. Maybe it's just the way the story was written.

Although it's strictly an analogy, it does contain a pretty decent outline of how I shortened the length of time I battled this thing and reduced the amount of impact the sickness had.

Medical science has at least 23,000 documented case studies that demonstrate that the attitude of the patient greatly determines how well the patient does. More recently, it was discovered that the speech center of the brain is directly connected to the central nervous system. You can litterally tell yourself how to feel. But even though this information is known, it is not generally taught.

What's funny to me is the ability to tell yourself how to feel is a "recent" medical discovery. Solomon stated about 2500 years ago that "Death and life are in the power of the tongue" so it's not really new information. At least now though, talking to yourself has a sound scientific basis. :)

lav
12-10-2009, 05:11 PM
Now if this story had been about a honey bee, that would certainly be different. Maybe it's just the way the story was written.When I started to read the story I instantlyassociated "The Bug" as a pretty lady beetle......now its hard to get that image out of my head. So the whole story came across as you having a "wrestling match" with a big red and black polka dot lady bug. Sorry CBS my imagination runs faster than I can read sometimes and quite often make up my own story ....hehe

GGGGoooooooo ladybug!!!!

vangogh
12-10-2009, 11:57 PM
This one was an evil mutant

I bet the bug's mom doesn't think so. :)

KristineS
12-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Glad to hear you are feeling better.

Those bugs (especially the mutant ones) can be a pain.

rezzy
12-11-2009, 11:53 AM
I started thinking he owns a gym?

lav
12-11-2009, 05:46 PM
I started thinking he owns a gym?aaaahhhh now I get it..... you Americans use a gym to "wrestle" in.........hahahahahhhaaaa I was picturing CBS on a treadmill or exercise bike lol

cbscreative
12-12-2009, 03:47 PM
I bet the bug's mom doesn't think so. :)

If you notice in the story, I made a derogatory statement about the bug's mom, so her opinion isn't worth much.

Perhaps a prologue to the story to build up the bug as the heartless, murderous thug character would help. A few demonstrations of his vile behavior would have the audience despising him the way they should. Then by the time he arrives in my gym, the reader would have the attitude of wanting him to get what's coming to him. There would be no visualization of a gentle ladybug. Instead, your mind would conjur up the image of an oversized dust mite foaming at the mouth as it tries to infect everyone it meets.

In trying to keep my story short, I failed to do a proper character development as I introduced him into the story. I guess I'm not used to writing short stories and shouldn't quit my day job.

vangogh
12-12-2009, 11:15 PM
I think a rewrite of the story is in order. If you showed the bug early on mistreating a dog...That always seems to work in the movies.