PDA

View Full Version : accepting tips from customers

huggytree
12-06-2009, 04:33 PM
Plumbers charge alot of $, so its rare i get offered a tip...sometimes i take it, sometimes i dont.

usually its $20

I was at a millionares house last week (he had a Ferrari Testarossa in the garage)....he was draining his little fish pond and needed a wrench...i borrowed him mine and offered to do it for him for free.....he grabbed the tool and it worked...then he tried handing me $10....i stepped back and said 'no thanks...i only want your money when i work for it....Instead you could hand out a few cards to your friends'....i gave him 4 cards.

i know if he hands out even 1 of those cards ill be 100x better off..

anyone get tips or refuse them? whats the largest tip?

Steve B
12-06-2009, 06:44 PM
I've had people round up the amount on the check. It's more of a PIA because then I have to figure out how to account for it. I have to change the amount that I "charged" him so it matches what they paid.

My employees have gotten a few tips. It's not very usual to tip the owner of the company.

greenoak
12-06-2009, 07:39 PM
ditto with steve b... i wouldnt take one...unless it was presented in some funny way...
but i know our workers get them sometimes...and thats ok....we really work hard loading furniture safely for the customers...
when we used to deal in gold....my buyer gave me a real gold coin necklace...i guess that was kind of a tip....or laginappe...
ann

Evan
12-06-2009, 10:48 PM
Accountant's don't get tips. We're just happy a client pays! :-)

Vivid Color Zack
12-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Every now and then a client needs something emergency rushed, or I will personally deliver something over the weekend or long after work hours. Sometimes these people slip me an extra 10 or 20 - and I'm ok accepting it when I haven't already charged extra to rush or deliver the job.

EVEN BETTER though, are my clients that bring food as a tip. Cookies, pastries, brownies, pizza - I enjoy those tips more than cash because it's hard to feel guilty about accepting cookies :)

huggytree
12-23-2009, 07:27 PM
i always accept food or a cold soda

i had one lady invite my kids over to decorate cookies with her...

yoyoyoyoyo
12-24-2009, 01:43 PM
...i know if he hands out even 1 of those cards ill be 100x better off...

good business sense here, that's 100% business-minded.

Harold Mansfield
12-28-2009, 01:28 PM
I normally don't meet people personally, so the opportunity doesn't present itself, but, as one who use to work for tips I do miss getting that cash in hand everyday.

I don't think I would ever accept a tip from someone, since I am not in the tipping industry anymore, like was said..referrals would be more desirable.

I do however tend to tip certain service people..delivery drivers come to mind. Most times they don't make much hourly and most are very pleasant and professional when they come to your home.

Last week I had a gas leak and ended up having to call the Gas company. I can tell the guy that came out was milling around for tip at the end of the call which I thought was completely unprofessional and I acted oblivious..but it did put me off quite a bit, especially since I didn't call them directly..it was an automatic dispatch from the fire dept since I called them first.

I always offer service guys a cold drink when they come out, but I don't feel like tipping the plumber or air conditioning guy is necessary, especially at the rates they charge.

huggytree
12-28-2009, 07:08 PM
you can tip anyone regardless of how much they charge per hour...remember that plumber who gives perfect service may not see as much as you think on his paycheck...his boss may be rich, but more than likely he's just living a average lifestyle.

i get soda's offered to me weekly...i always take them.

if a tradesman is working on a large project in your house its always nice to get a free lunch...it happens a couple times a year for me....donuts are pretty common though.

Harold Mansfield
12-28-2009, 08:20 PM
you can tip anyone regardless of how much they charge per hour...remember that plumber who gives perfect service may not see as much as you think on his paycheck...his boss may be rich, but more than likely he's just living a average lifestyle.

i get soda's offered to me weekly...i always take them.

if a tradesman is working on a large project in your house its always nice to get a free lunch...it happens a couple times a year for me....donuts are pretty common though.

That may be true, but you are talking to an ex-bartender and limo driver where tips are the majority of your income, if not the whole thing.

I can certainly see adding a little extra to someone who has gone above and beyond..for instance the cable installer that shows me some tips to keep my computer running smoothly, but not the tech that comes to fix the fridge.
I'm not saying that you should never... or that I wouldn't ever...I'm saying that I don't put plumbers in the same tip category as a waitress who makes $2.51 an hr. to sling food and drinks.

I may however tip the guy that installs my home theater system. There are some jobs where tips are part of the income..plumbing, fridge techs, and electricians are not them. Not saying they shouldn't get them..but they definitely shouldn't expect them anymore than I should for setting up someones website. Service is a part of every job, but every job is not a tipped position.

I'm not cheap..I'm actually a very good tipper when I go out, but it would take some exceptional service for me to tip a tradesman that makes a living wage. Waitresses and Bartenders don't make a living wage..their service and personality is why you tip them.

Tradesmen just need to know how to fix it. Although some personality, cleanliness, and manners are expected..I expect that from everyone who wants me to pay them for something..it's not above and beyond..it's common sense and courtesy.

KarenB
01-05-2010, 11:11 AM
I think that tips are a way for customers to show their appreciation for service that goes above and beyond their expectations.

The only time I would think accepting a tip might be deemed as innappropriate would be if you were a lawyer, accountant, doctor or some other professional where accepting a tip might be considered as a bribe in some way.

I recently prepared a 450-page manuscript for a client and they added a little something extra in the envelope that included their check. I was thoroughly surprised, but still needed to report it as income (at least with the Canadian tax folks). Then again, that opens another kettle of fish, doesn't it? :)