PDA

View Full Version : kiva

greenoak
12-05-2009, 09:45 AM
we are doing kiva Kiva - Loans that change lives (http://www.kiva.org/app.php?page=home) its pretty neat....a lot can happen with a little money ....

vangogh
12-06-2009, 12:49 AM
I've heard the name, but can't say I know much about how Kiva works. Is the idea that it connects people with money to lend with people who need the money?

greenoak
12-06-2009, 09:16 AM
yes with a real good feedback system about the administrater of the place where you give the money..... one of ours wants to sell groceries in her house....
..we have seen this in a documentary about micro loans...
ann

phanio
12-06-2009, 09:45 AM
Kiva is a micro loan program - but usually only works with small loans like $100 in developing countries. Not sure if they have programs or lend in the US. It is a great program - helping people who have no other choice but to start businesses in order to survive.

KristineS
12-07-2009, 10:55 AM
I've seen ads about this program and read about it too. It does sound like a good thing to invest in.

My problem is always figuring out where to put my charitable donations. There are so many worthy causes to support. I also wonder if I could do more good helping local charities or if I should just pick charities that I feel are worthy of support regardless of where they operate.

Still, I think supporting some organization that's trying to do good, regardless of where that good is being done, is better than doing nothing at all.