PDA

View Full Version : Age discrimination?

Leatherneck
08-20-2008, 09:00 AM
I have a question i want too ask? It has been on my mind from time too time. As some of you know I'm a small business that makes quality my number one prority.

I have been doing every thing myself since the economy has slowed down. I had a person selling for me, but i have even taken over that job this year. I think I do a good job selling my self, but i have been wondering if I sell my self too much when I mention too the customer that I do all the installations my self instead of hiring subs that might not really care or even send another younger person that has no way near the experiance I have.

The question I want too ask is if you think my age could hider me in getting some of the sales i do. I am in real good shape for my age and in most cases I can get the job done just as fast as a younger person and done much better. Most people my age are long retired from the installations

I know it wouldn't matter too some peoples way of thinking, but I'm sure it would with some others. I just want too get your thoughts, and be honest abouit it. You won't hurt my feelings, I just want too try and do want is right too seel more jobs if that is one of the problems i'm having.

cbscreative
08-20-2008, 12:02 PM
I can only speak for myself on this one. If I were hiring a contractor for a fence, I wouldn't judge on age alone whether young or old. Skill and attitude mean more to me and that is not dictated by age.

KristineS
08-20-2008, 12:06 PM
I'd agree with Steve. Age doesn't matter to me, in fact, I'd probably expect someone who was more mature to do a better job and pay more attention to detail.

Leatherneck
08-20-2008, 12:15 PM
I agree with you on that, but I have to wonder if my age might hinder me as far a people thinking I might take too long for there liking, I know there are a lot of young guys that come in and say they will do a job in a day if it takes three just too sell it. Some might do it in a day and cut so many corners while doing so. My competion is real cut throat. They will lie and cheat any way posible too steal work from there competitors.

I refuse too do the same thing they do, by lieing my way too get a job.

cbscreative
08-20-2008, 12:55 PM
Mak, I'd say that integrity will win. These competitors will have a hard time getting referrals while you are looking to establish a solid reputation. It may take longer to win, but the victory is worth it.

Paul Elliott
08-20-2008, 01:07 PM
Mak, how about emphasizing the quality of the materials you use, the installation job, the guarantee, etc., etc., without pointing out that you do your own installation.

That way, when and if the subject comes up you can acknowledge that, "Of course, I do the installations. I don't want to trust that critical job to someone making minimum wage!"

Maintain your position of excellence. DO NOT get into the "commodity' zone which we've discussed before.

Paul

KristineS
08-20-2008, 01:25 PM
Mak, how about emphasizing the quality of the materials you use, the installation job, the guarantee, etc., etc., without pointing out that you do your own installation.

That way, when and if the subject comes up you can acknowledge that, "Of course, I do the installations. I don't want to trust that critical job to someone making minimum wage!"

Maintain your position of excellence. DO NOT get into the "commodity' zone which we've discussed before.

Paul

Paul,

That's good advice.

Mak, Even if you think something may be a liability, try to turn it into a positive. Talk a lot about experience and how much that can contribute to a job that lasts and is done properly.

Paul Elliott
08-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Mak, Even if you think something may be a liability, try to turn it into a positive. Talk a lot about experience and how much that can contribute to a job that lasts and is done properly.

Precisely!

Mak, it's the rare liability, real or perceived, whose perception cannot be turned into a positive. "Perception is everything!" (From the "88" below)

Never run from a liability. Meet it head-on and reframe the customer's thinking (perception) about it. In other words, you want to seize the dialogue going on in your customer's head and reframe and refocus it at the subliminal level to your (and your customer's) advantage.

Never apologize for a liability, only for damage or injury, if they even occur. If either does occur, you can then seize that opportunity to overdeliver on the "compensation/restitution." You will still come out the winner.

Paul

KarenB
08-20-2008, 04:51 PM
I think I do a good job selling my self, but i have been wondering if I sell my self too much when I mention too the customer that I do all the installations my self instead of hiring subs that might not really care or even send another younger person that has no way near the experiance I have.

Hi Mak,

I agree that age will always be a factor to some people, whether they think that we are too old or too young. None of us (young or old) have a whole lot of control over that. What really matters is the quality of our work.

What we DO have control over is our self-confidence, reputation and dedication to quality. Those things are timeless and will never go out of style. As long as you continue to believe in your own skills, integrity and quality of service, so will your customers.

I'm sure that some of your customers have already referred your services to others through word of mouth. Perhaps you could offer new customers a rebate (say 10%) if they refer you to others?

When you sit down at a client's kitchen table to discuss the details, I don't think that it's really necessary to elaborate on the fact that you are a one-man operation. You will likely instill their trust just because you know what you are talking about.

If you bring up the subject of age, then they might focus more on your age. You could just say something like, "We have a long list of satisifed customers and I can provide you with referrals if you like."

Truly, I don't think your customers will particularly care WHO does it, as long as it's done right.

Karen

orion_joel
08-20-2008, 09:10 PM
Not to say that you are necessarily doing it intentionally or even knowingly. However you may find that the only reason why people believe that age or you are a one person show, is because you find it a problem.

Age is only an issue if you make it one. Seriously myself i do not know of any one of my clients that asked my age not even when i was 17 or 18, and i have never asked anyone that i have had do work for me their age, or had a thought they are to old to young, whatever. To me it did not matter if they could do the job and do it properly, that was more important.

Evan
08-21-2008, 12:26 AM
Age can be a huge factor, on either side of the spectrum. You really need to know how to turn things into a positive.

While I'm only 21, I started my first business at age 13. I can tell you a lot of people were not going to take me seriously. Some still don't, but luckily my height and build make me seem older than I really am.

lav
08-23-2008, 10:20 PM
When I think about it age would have an influence on me if I were buying a product but it depends on the product as to whether it would be a positive or negative. An example would be If I were buying a mobile phone I think I would buy one off a young person as USUALLY they would be more up to date with the technology and would know the real benefits and be able to show how they work (remember this is based on what I would feel comfortable with Im not insinuating it is fact)

If I were buying a fence though I would need to know that the person building it has years of experience and isnt going to just slap anything together so they can get to the beach on time to see their mates, so I would be looking at an older person who I have faith in to build my fence. On top of that I think it would be an extra incentive for me if I knew the sales guy was actually the one going to build it, there is nothing worse than a contracter turning up at your house to do a job and the first thing they say is "so what are we doing here?"