PDA

View Full Version : Eny Time Cleaning - Please review

Blacktalon
12-02-2009, 05:41 PM
Good Evening,

Please review this site I've developed for a client of mine. While reviewing, it is important to keep these points in mind:

- When looked at via IE, everything is as it should be. The issue is that when viewed in Firefox (the scourge of my web-building existence), the lines do not wrap properly, nor do the padding parametres seem to kick in. IF someone may have an idea as to how I can remedy this, please PM me or post in this thread.

- I have to change the font on the contact us page to match that in the opening paragraph. I also still have to insert the .php code for the form to work, which will take a moment or two.

- I'm debating on whether to keep the colours of the links static regardless of whether they are being viewed, have been visted, or active.

- After looking further, I think the top header where the blue gradient image is looks rather empty. Perhaps I should put some text in there to help with the SEO approach.

Your feedback is, of course, appreciated.

The link is here -> Clicky (http://www.enytimeservice.com).

Thanks for your time and patience,

Blacktalon

Spider
12-02-2009, 11:17 PM
I notice that your fixed width panel suits someone using a 1024 x 768 resolution. That represents only 20% of my visitors - your stats may be different. Nearly half of my visitors are now using 1280 x 800.

Why not make your panel widths variable so more of your visitors get to use the full width of their screens? If you must fix the panel width (I see no reason to do so, but if you must), at least center it so it's not lopsided for people using a wider format.

Of course, everyone still on 800 x 600 will have to scroll sideways to accomodate your page - which they probably won't do. Not so many, these days, perhaps, but 13% of my visitors are still using that old format. Not to mention 22% unknown, who knows what they are using. You are probably turning a lot of people away setting it up as you have.

I hope this helps.

handprop
12-02-2009, 11:47 PM
Great marketing has purpose

Here is my opinion..........

The photo in the background, why is it so tall? What's the purpose. Make it smaller and you have more room for quality content.

No headline. All you have is small words, think about a newspaper, they have a headline to draw you in and read further. Not that the site is a newspaper but it's confusing.

Why do you have a logo on the right and on the left? What's the purpose?

The title "cleaning services" in white on a yellow leaf, doesn't look clear. People look for titles so just make it simple and easy to read. You won't gain a customer because the title is on top of a leaf so I wouldn't do it.

The links on top are small and almost look to blend in. Why?

Older people still look for blue to identify links so why not give it to them. To have black links doesn't make sense.

Just trying to help.

Mike

vangogh
12-03-2009, 12:09 AM
Overall it seems ok. It's not the most beautiful design I've ever seen though it's certainly not bad either.

I like how the top of the T frames the logo and I like the slogan eny time anywhere. Why not have that slogan near the logo on the left. I agree with Mike that the logo doesn't need to also be on the right. Once is enough and the big one at the top left should be that once.

There's a lack of whitespace. You don't want everything butting up against the borders. Add some padding to the text and around the images. That extra space is good.

The headings should be larger and maybe have a splash of color.

Links would be better blue or at least another color. Underlining them is good, but make them more obvious.

The links in the navigation are very small. They're also a little too close to the top edge.

The page isn't centered and it isn't against either edge. I think it should be one of the three. Right now the site is a little bit away from the left edge. The site is centered if you view it at 1024x768, but most people will not view the site at the resolution.

I'm looking in Safari now by the way.

Also one thing about browsers. If your page looks good in IE, but not in Firefox, it's more likely you that's done something wrong and not that FF isn't displaying the page right. I'm guessing you developed for IE first and then tried to make it work for FF. That's not the way you want to go. Develop to the standards. If you do that then your site will work in all browsers with the possible exception of IE. Then you tweak a couple of things for IE.

Steve B
12-03-2009, 03:27 AM
I know this isn't about the website - but, I thought the name of the company was a typo when I saw it in the subject line of your post. Now I see that's the actual name of the company. That's kind of weird. I'm assuming they did that because someone else is using "any time cleaning service" - but, I bet this change in spelling doesn't avoid trouble for them. I know that was your client's selection and not yours, but I thought I'd comment on it.

Re: the website.

I like the general look and feel of it. The colors are nice and layout is pretty good.

I think there is too much white space next to the photos on a few of the pages.

I'd prefer a larger font size on everything (I'm over 40 and I probably need new glasses however).

I would get rid of the photo of the mop bucket - it's not even a clean mop bucket. But, even if it was... what's the point?

The navigation bar was across the top on the home page - then it went to the side on the other pages - I'd pick one.

What's the point of the photo of the chick with the low cut shirt? I just don't get the point unless it's to show off that the have their logos on their shirts.

I agree with Mike - you could eliminate the logo at the top and make more room for good content.

"Eny Time provides exquisite industrial services to our clients" - I know everyone is in love with their own business and industry - but, I think, "exquisite" is a stretch when describing a cleaning service.

I hope this is helpful.

Blacktalon
12-04-2009, 08:20 PM
I appreciate the feedback.

Also one thing about browsers. If your page looks good in IE, but not in Firefox, it's more likely you that's done something wrong and not that FF isn't displaying the page right. I'm guessing you developed for IE first and then tried to make it work for FF. That's not the way you want to go. Develop to the standards. If you do that then your site will work in all browsers with the possible exception of IE. Then you tweak a couple of things for IE.

As I said before, I'm not specifically designing for IE. I design using Dreamweaver under the assumption that everything done in Dreamweaver will be static regardless of the browser. Can you tell me where it states that Dreamweaver automatically assumes one is designing strictly for IE?

Your assistance is appreciated,

Blacktalon

vangogh
12-05-2009, 03:11 AM
Can you tell me where it states that Dreamweaver automatically assumes one is designing strictly for IE?

Dreamweaver just creates code based on your choices. It doesn't specifically create code for IE, but if you're checking the site in IE while you design and making decisions based on how it looks in IE then you are designing for IE. Also Dreamweaver doesn't necessarily put out the best code to begin with. It's pretty good as far as WYSIWYG editors go, but it still produces poor code in places.

Blacktalon
12-08-2009, 09:24 PM
I'll have to make css in an actual code-based way then. No problem. I like the WYSIWYG editors because I'm a visual learner: I like to see what I'm putting together as I'm doing it.

No worries. I'll be alright.

Update: I've fixed up the header section a smidgeon. Also changed some pics as well and removed that leaf on the front page.

Blacktalon

billbenson
12-09-2009, 01:54 AM
I've never done this myself, but I bet if you took a pad and paper and scetched out the layout you want, then added the div's and other code around it you would pretty much have a wysisyg page along with a lot of the css?

Blacktalon
12-09-2009, 02:52 PM
I myself tend to sketch out designs prior to putting them together; that tool has been quite beneficial for whenever I develop sites.

It usually helps a lot under that pretense, Bill.