PDA

View Full Version : Printing website name

handprop
12-01-2009, 10:48 PM
I have a strange question for all of you. I don't mess around with small businesses these days but I had a phone call earlier from an old friend who asked me a question I just wasn't sure about.

When lettering a work van (muffler shop) with a website address what are your thoughts about spacing the words apart just a little so people can read it? An example would be: WWW.MARKSMUFFLER.COM, as you can see it's hard to read. But what if you printed it with a space or a half space to make it more readable? WWW.MARKS MUFFLER.COM, it's a little easier to read.

Is this ever put into practice, any of you do this? Any reasons why you shouldn't?

Mike

handprop
12-01-2009, 10:49 PM
The above shows a link and it shouldn't because it's fake.

Mike

billbenson
12-01-2009, 11:03 PM
MarksMuffler.com or any other way of differentiating it is probably desirable in your example. The only issue I can think of is people don't always realize domain names and emails aren't case sensitive. I wouldn't use all upper case either as that annoys a lot of people.

Evan
12-01-2009, 11:06 PM
I think I'd prefer "MarksMuffler.com". Putting a space in it will inevitably lead people to type it in with a space... or add a hypen (or even period!).

Spider
12-01-2009, 11:31 PM
You could also accent/embolden the capitals -- MarksMufflers.com

Or use different colors -- MarksMufflers.com

Or different sizes -- MarksMufflers.com

Adding a space would not be correct, because in cyber-speak a space is a character.

KristineS
12-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Definitely agree with those who say don't add a space. Adding a space or a hyphen or whatever totally changes the URL.

Paper Shredder Clay
12-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Mixed caps is what I always use. Go with MarksMufflers.com

You could also accent/embolden the capitals -- MarksMufflers.com

Or use different colors -- MarksMufflers.com

Or different sizes -- MarksMufflers.com

Adding a space would not be correct, because in cyber-speak a space is a character.

vangogh
12-02-2009, 11:25 AM
I agree with everyone on adding the capital letters to the start of each word. You can add a little space as long as it's not too much space for people to think there's an actual space in the domain.

Odds are as long as the letters are large enough in general it will be readable. The mixed caps will help and it's the way I would go too.

handprop
12-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Thanks folks, I have never had that question asked before and being as i'm not to swift with anything online I figured I could get good advice here.

What I did was copied and pasted your remarks in an email and sent it to him with the words "Here is some opinions from folks on a forum...take your pick"

Thanks for the help!

Mike