PDA

View Full Version : facebook

greenoak
12-01-2009, 09:55 AM
im trying to figure how many times i should i post on my facebook fan page..... its different than the email blasts and the blog....
i dont want to overdo it...or be a pest....
how do you look at it? what seems right to you? as a giver or receiver....
ann

Harold Mansfield
12-01-2009, 11:16 AM
I use Facebook as an outlet for news that I don't put on my blog, local events, videos, and pretty much short blurbs that aren't full stories. I also run all of my contests and giveaways through facebook and allow others to post links, podcasts and announce events.

Since you are an actual brick and mortar business, I don't think you need to overdo it, once or twice a day, or even a few times a week may be enough. Information about new finds, shipments, and photo or 2 every now and then, (just off the top of my head) blog entries, decorating tips, holiday ideas, local events that appeal to the same demographic.
Maybe post quick messages to customers that are on Facebook who have purchased items recently ("when you get that new piece set up, send us a photo"), that kind of thing.

Spider
12-01-2009, 12:17 PM
My "fan page" is about Self Improvement ( facebook.com/selfimprove (http://facebook.com/selfimprove) ) and not about me. I have my contact on the Info page. I have enlisted the help of four other people in exchange for their contact details on the Info page, too.

This has created a buzz and keeps the posts flowing. I post once or twice a day but not about my coaching business - I add quotes, video clips, etc, all in a personal development vein. I'll also comment or "like" whenever I can to add to the flow of comments.

I don't know how you might use that informations, but there it is, anyway!

KristineS
12-01-2009, 12:48 PM
I'd say two or three times a week. Also, don't post every small detail. Save your posts for more major things that will inspire comment and interest.

greenoak
12-01-2009, 07:21 PM
thanks for the info.......i guess im going with the idea of a bit more than my regular monthly emails....
i wish i had something fun to offer like eborg comes up with...
thats what i try to think about...some ways to be an interesting destination...
ann

TmasterMind
01-14-2010, 02:32 AM
I may say it would depend on the brand of the fan page or the topic that it talks about. Some fan pages do offer contests, daily updates, etc. so there might be better reasons for them to post much volume regularly. Although for most, it will still be always effective and "attention-getting" when moderators have will often just have to post those major events, big breaks and announcements as stressed by KristineS, which may be limited say twice a week and yet will gather more followers.

BizPals
02-10-2010, 07:37 AM
You know your business and you know your customers, so if you think you have something interesting to tell them you should post it. I don't think it matters how often you post as long as you are posting something that is interesting and relevant to your customers. I would say the minimum would be twice a month, just so your "fans" know that you use the page. Also, everyone has something interesting to offer, the knowledge you have about your industry or service you provide may seem dull to you but may be interesting to others.

BizPals

KristineS
02-10-2010, 01:55 PM
I have to revise my answer, now that I'm using Facebook more for our business. I usually try and post a couple of times a day now. I do agree that what you post has to be interesting. I generally try and post when I have something to say that will be helpful or interesting to our fans, and I stay quiet when I don't.

David Espino
03-11-2010, 02:45 AM
I agree that about twice a week would be good.

Remember that each of your posts is "broadcast" to all your fans' pages so you don't want to be overly intrusive as people might begin to "un-fan you. ;)

Dave

greenoak
03-12-2010, 12:32 PM
we seem to be around 3 or 4 posts a week....and im hearing about it in the store about every day...also am getting a few convos going on the page, like do you have any ----? .... also we are streaming? is that the word, ? jons blog onto it....as his blog is very current and a picture of something that we just made....
im kind of shocked at the power of facebook and how much its changing how i look at marketing.....its making me neglect my blogs too..its changing my emailing too...
..im just thrilled that i could buy an ad at my perfect target audience, including geography...
we are up to 368 fans...
but i have dropped several pages that send too much, or arent as interesting as i thought..... ....so its a fine line...
p.s. kristine, i just read your outdoor blog post on blogging...so good!!! i put a link to you on my business blog, hope thats ok...
ann

David Espino
03-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Hi Ann,

Great job on developing your fan base!

A marketer / speaker friend of mine is fond of saying: "You are not in the speaking business, you are in the business of marketing your speaker services" (James Malinchak)

In your case, I would rephrase that as: "You are not in the antiques business, you are in the business of marketing your antiques business".

Sounds like you are on track! The only thing I would caution against is reducing the number of other things you do online.

Instead, look for ways to tie them together - this way, you develop a leverage to all your activities that will be far more powerful than any one of these activities would do by itself.

Dave

greenoak
03-12-2010, 02:23 PM
thanks david....the intertwining them is sure on my mind too..any ideas on that?
..im going to try and learn what FACEBOOK CONNECT is and what it offers....Green Oak Antiques | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rochester-IN/Green-Oak-Antiques/128260302593?ref=share)
i do have links on everything to everything.....
my blog has brought me lots of money!!!! but i have time issues too...
does google pick up facebook ? i try to put lots of good words on my blogs....i know i get traffic from that....
we are different because we are mostly selling to locals and dont have a national selling desire..... except for big time buyers who come here in trucks....
now im going to go look at spiders fb...
ann

David Espino
03-12-2010, 03:38 PM
I have a lot of ideas on that. ;)

Facebook Connect sounds like it's more for developers or app builders, which is fine. And, in answer to your question, I just learned that Google will soon be adding Facebook pages (for business) to their search results, which is huge!

Link to article: Google Adds Facebook Fan Pages to Search Index - Website Magazine - Website Magazine (http://www.websitemagazine.com/content/blogs/posts/archive/2010/02/27/google-adds-facebook-fan-pages-to-search-index.aspx)

It sounds like you're advertising your FB page on FB and targeting local prospects, which is great. You're doing a lot of things right!

I've visited your site and, with all due respect, it could use some updating that aims for ease of navigation and clarity of focus - this could make a big difference in all your metrics, but more importantly in sending people where you want to send them as opposed to where they may wander off to. (wandering is something you want to encourage in an antique mall, but not so great on a website. ;))

As far as your blogs - they are making money for you, now just be sure to use your local keywords, such as Rochester Antiques, Rochester Indiana Antiques, Rochester Collectibles, Rochester Antique Mall (and other keywords that you research) so that you rank for those "traffic-getting" keywords.

In my sig line below, we offer a free video training course that covers these strategies and more. It's brand new and up-to-date.

Since you've taken action on so many good things with regard to marketing your business online, you sound like the kind of person who is internet savvy enough to really take that info and run with it!

The combination of Internet + a local business is one of the ultimate leverage points in business, in my opinion! That's why I'm excited to be able to help people with this.

Dave

greenoak
03-12-2010, 05:01 PM
i hear you on the website!!! but it just grown like topsy...and starting over or whipping it into shape just isnt on our schedule right now...you do one thing ...then it throws some other thing oout of whack.... and its redundant....but honestly i get tons of compliments on it from people who have driven to us.... so i know its actually doing its job of being tempting....... but could be better ...its in house...i design, or try to, and someone else does the work...

. wandering is really pretty acceptable in antiques....its mainly a brochure or billboard site...so the main things to get across is the hugeness, the variety and unusual....in other words a whole lot of pictures....the store is kind of a big conglomeration too!!!a couple of years ago one guy on here said it made him sick..lol!!!..but i do make a lot of money thru it...im sure of that..
ann

David Espino
03-12-2010, 05:06 PM
Hey, you're preaching to the choir - I love hunting for pop culture collectibles, at flea markets and antique malls, so I understand!

As for the site - if it's working and doing what you need it to do, that's great!

Dave