PDA

View Full Version : Walmart quality/service stuck it to me again

huggytree
11-30-2009, 04:57 PM
Took my van in for service issues(Chevy Dealership)...had 4 new back tires put on my van...they noticed my new Walmart tires were incorrect on the front....

Walmart put CAR tires on my 13,000 lb work truck....also wrong size....
truck tires - 80psi pressure
car tires -40psi pressure

The name on the side of the tire matched and i never checked the details..i specifically asked for 'E' rated tires (super heavy duty rated)...i think i may have paid for those tires too...im sure i atleast looked at that part of the job.

very dangerous with the weight i carry....of course i threw out the reciept, so i had to throw out 2 -4 month old tires at a total loss....

all i buy from Walmart anymore is motor oil and office supplies...

if my tires had blown out on the freeway i could be dead with the weight i carry....thanks Walmart.

I am amazed people buy from them.....i feel sorry for people who cant afford better....their fruit/meat is 3rd world country bad....we tried food shopping there to save $20 a week.

i just had to vent

Patrysha
11-30-2009, 06:14 PM
Our Walmart doesn't have a service station...I need to trust the place I get my tires and tire repairs taken care of. Luckily, there is a local place that does just that and I like going there. On my old car it seemed like I was up there once a month...for one tire or another.

orion_joel
11-30-2009, 07:16 PM
Huggy, i think that the first mistake here is throwing out the receipt. I am not sure about the US really, but in Australia it is a requirement for Tax purposes to maintain all business records for a period of 5 years minimum i believe, some businesses even up to 7 years.

Being that your van is a business vehicle i would have thought you would keep such receipts for tax records, even if you did not have to. To me it is just common sense, to keep these sort of records.

Hopefully this experience will help you to remember to keep the receipts. So many things these days if you have no receipt it is as if you did not buy it, having the receipt can can useful for more things then just where the company makes a mistake, but can be a requirement to claim on the warranty of a product.

billbenson
11-30-2009, 09:40 PM
For papers that I may or may not need in the future I toss them in my "one year box". I would have filed a tire receipt, but even if it is something trivial, that I say to myself, "I'll never need that" I toss it in my one year box. When it gets full, which is usually every 6 months or so, I throw the bottom half of the box out, keeping the most current. I don't keep things like food receipts, even though if you ever bought some tainted food, you may even want that.

Seems like if you throw something away, you are going to want it. Its a system that has worked for me.

billbenson
11-30-2009, 10:05 PM
As for service, I've said it before, use Walmart for what they are good for. For cameras, you have 30 days to return it. I bought a camera for my wifes birthday from walmart. Popular Sony for about the same price as online. I bought it in the evening so I didn't wait in line or need to park a mile away. I just returned it after my wife used it for just under a month. She decided she wanted a different one. I went back early evening, didn't wait in line and there were no questions, they took it back. That's great customer service.

Don't buy things like meat there. Most of it is old. Buy what they are good at and do it in off hours so you don't wait. Use them for what they are good at, not for things they are not good at and complain about it!

The grease monkeys at walmart, midas, etc all could care less about your car. I've had horrible service from midas which is why I would always watch to be sure it was actually aligned, fluid levels checked etc. All of these tire and minor repair places have questionable service to my experience. I'd say a good part of the blame is on you for not verifying the work. That's why auto repair companies have to keep old parts to show you. Thes places are legislated because they have a history of screwing customers.

Evan
11-30-2009, 11:46 PM
Huggy, i think that the first mistake here is throwing out the receipt. I am not sure about the US really, but in Australia it is a requirement for Tax purposes to maintain all business records for a period of 5 years minimum i believe, some businesses even up to 7 years.

Being that your van is a business vehicle i would have thought you would keep such receipts for tax records, even if you did not have to. To me it is just common sense, to keep these sort of records.

Hopefully this experience will help you to remember to keep the receipts. So many things these days if you have no receipt it is as if you did not buy it, having the receipt can can useful for more things then just where the company makes a mistake, but can be a requirement to claim on the warranty of a product.

Aw, you took the words from my mouth. You're not the accountant! :mad: (kidding!)

In the United States, the statute of limitations is three years for your return to be audited. If they suspect fraud (at least a 25% understatement of income), they can go six years. Accordingly, I recommend clients keep records for seven years, or indefinitely.

Steve B
12-01-2009, 07:04 AM
He should have kept the receipt. That's just common sense.

But, I bet HT claims mileage on his van - so individual receipts for routine maint items are not relevant to an IRS audit.

Harold Mansfield
12-01-2009, 11:01 AM
That really sucks, sorry to hear about that..and dangerous too. I don't think any of the Walmarts here have auto service either...actually this is the first I have ever heard that any of them did.

I like saving a buck or two when I can as well, but there are some places I shop for specific things. Never had a problem with WM food, actually just had a steak from there last night and it was delicious.

I think I would probably take my work truck to a place that specializes in trucks or the dealership, just as I would only take my computer to an authorized dealer.

Lesson learned on this one, next time save the receipt cause I would definitely raise a stink about it and get my money back from them.

rezzy
12-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Even though you didnt have your receipt, dont they store that at their store? Maybe not wal-mart but most places keep that information for a short amount of time.

billbenson
12-01-2009, 01:35 PM
Or just use a business debit/credit card for all business purchases.

nealrm
12-01-2009, 04:47 PM
My wife made us a great item for keeping receipts and mileage. She took one of the file folders with sides. Drew a quick grid on the front and back for a calendar. We have one for each car. The receipts go inside and mileage is recorded on the calendars. Every two months I stick it into my file cabinet and we put another folder in the car.

Harold Mansfield
12-01-2009, 10:43 PM
Or just use a business debit/credit card for all business purchases.

Or any debit or credit card for that matter. Unless you paid cash, there is a record of the transaction that you can probably access online. All you need is the product, price and store location or number.

huggytree
12-01-2009, 10:54 PM
i deduct milage

vehicle and repair costs are my personal expenses...not the business

i typically save everything, but of course the time i needed a reciept was the rare occasion i didnt save it.

the point i was making wasnt me

it was a company putting the wrong size, type, rating on a vehicle...and putting 80 lbs in a 40lb tire....i could be dead because of poor quality and service....

Walmart made several mistakes and the final check should have been while putting 80lbs while the tire says 40lbs...

the good thing i can say is about GoodYear....just think about 13,000 lb vehicle with passenger car tires double inflated driving 80 miles an hour for 10,000 miles without a problem...it says they are worth the extra $

nealrm
12-02-2009, 12:22 AM
This isn't the first time I have heard of Walmart's auto department making a bonehead mistake. Due to some past issues with their service, I will never have my car serviced by them. Lucky for you it is hard to blow out a tire by over inflating it. You might not have been so lucky if they had inflated a tire to 40lb when it needed 80.

Steve B
12-02-2009, 05:34 AM
I wouldn't be too hard on Wal-Mart. The employee that did this will probably be working down the road at another mechanic shop next month. Even if you go to the best place in town, they usually don't put their best employees on the tire installation (or oil change) duty.

Ultimately, on important things like the safety of you and your family - the buyer needs to do the double checking.

I'm not making an excuse for Wal-Mart - but mistakes happen in every aspect of service. I hope you all know how many deaths there are each year from medical mistakes. Medical mistakes are the 5th leading cause of death in the U.S. (some studies have it as high as 3rd). Double check what your doctor writes on the prescription, double check what the pharmacist gives you, etc. etc.

Dan Furman
12-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Walmart put CAR tires on my 13,000 lb work truck....

Did they botch your root canal too?

Really, this is how I feel about getting your vehicle worked on at WalMart.

handprop
12-02-2009, 04:17 PM
That's funny