PDA

View Full Version : New Site!

rezzy
11-30-2009, 11:46 AM
So, I decided to revamp and redo my website.

There are some things, I did that were not good, I will admit and it needs a few last minute tweaks to improve everything, but I wanted to get your thoughts on the site first. Resnodesigns > Site Design (http://www.resnodesigns.com/)

I am having a nightmare getting some stuff aligned. Some pages, even have content which doesnt use Wordpress (but should), I was excited to release it out into the wild, for better or worse! Hopefully, for the better.

I have not run it through multiple browsers.... yet, so if something looks screwy to you, let me know. (Note, starting testing now)

KristineS
11-30-2009, 02:40 PM
First things that come to mind just from seeing your front page:

1. You need to rewrite your copy
2. You need to proofread

Will the About Me page be expanded? Will you go into detail about the Featured Project? Right now there isn't a lot there to entice me to hire you, and certainly no call to action.

I recognize this is a work in progress and maybe there is a lot more you're planning to add, but right now this site isn't doing a lot for me, particularly if the service you're selling is web design.

Sorry to be so blunt, but I figure the time to hear this stuff is now while you're still working on the site. This is also my opinion for what it's worth. Others may disagree.

rezzy
11-30-2009, 04:28 PM
Yes, I totally agree. At this time, the focus has been on improving the layout. The copy, call to action and other aspects is being improved in the "next phase". Thanks for your comments though!

Ill post a thread for copywriting, once that phase is completed!

Spider
11-30-2009, 05:09 PM
I'm not a great fan of dark backgrounds. They look great at first glance but text gets quite difficult to read in places - like your pale blue Featured Project text wasn't pale enough for me.

The blue first words of all the headings didn't quite match the blue of RESNO, due probably to the dark markings in RESNO but not the others. You might have an exact color match but it doesn't look so because of the markings in one but not the others - try darkening the "unmarked" blue font to get a visual match rather than an actual match.

vangogh
11-30-2009, 10:04 PM
I don't mind the dark background, but the dark text is almost impossible to read. You're going to have to make it much lighter.

The footer clearly isn't working yet, but I can see the direction you're going with it. In fact I can see the direction you're going with the entire design and think it looks good overall. The main thing for now is making sure the text is readable. Dark text on a dark background won't work.

rezzy
12-01-2009, 09:25 AM
Thanks all for the C&C's.

True, Steven the footer has a mind of its own at the moment. I nearly forgot why its out of place, there's a logo in the footer, that wont place right, but that should be fixed shortly.

Thanks, Fredrick (Spider), I never even considered the fonts not being high enough contrast. I will try to match the colors more closely though. I think that will help it be more visible.

In case you didnt notice, this is a Wordpress blog. The homepage is using a "custom" page. Ive got a few more customizations to complete, which should make the site flow better from front page to blog, etc. The homepage now, is almost a static page, that I manually update, aside from the footer and twitter feed. I am going to integrate that using the Wordpress functions.

KristineS
12-01-2009, 12:54 PM
I guess I tend to focus more on words than layout, since I'm a writer. Sorry if I jumped the gun a bit.

rezzy
12-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Its quite alright. My wife took a look and brought every error to my attention as well. So, I am fixing alot of the glaring errors but working on writing better copy.

Paper Shredder Clay
12-02-2009, 11:43 AM
I don't have a problem with the dark colors. I do have a small problem with the white at the bottom, I think this is not intentional. The blog pages need to be tweaked a lot. There needs to be more padding, the comments box looks out of place, and the white background for the script is too bright, should try a tint, but not pure white. I wouldn't turn the site live until you had a few things in your portfolio and the blog posts are tweaked.

I also tried the search in the blog, it's breaking out of the container when it returns several results.

rezzy
12-02-2009, 01:09 PM
I also tried the search in the blog, it's breaking out of the container when it returns several results.

Oh, that was one space I didnt realize such a huge problem existed.

Even with the shortcomings/bugs of the current site, this one is still much improved over the previous version. at least imho. Thanks for brining that to my attention, that should be fixed today. Plus the footer things is in need of a fix.

camp185
01-14-2010, 03:51 PM
As a web designer you should know to stay on topic. I would kill off the Flickr photos unless they are screenshots of sites you have done. Also, I would rethink the quick contact form in footer as well. It doesn't look professional or match the style of the site.