PDA

View Full Version : Secrets of Internet Marketing

KristineS
08-19-2008, 05:52 PM
It seems I get an e-mail or see a web site almost every day that promises to help me make millions online through their easy "Internet Marketing Secrets". Does anyone ever fall for this sort of pitch? Do you really believe there are any "Internet Marketing Secrets", or is the road to making money online simply paved with common sense and hard work?

vangogh
08-19-2008, 07:40 PM
Someone falls for it. That's why you keep getting the email.

I think there are occasionally secrets that can help, but in general I think it's about hard work, common sense, creativity, hard work, etc Did I mention hard work?

theGypsy
08-22-2008, 12:57 AM
Well, if you consider 'business intelligence' as secrets...then YES...

There are many parts of what I do professionally that I never write about nor give away as they are part of my competitive advantage. So in that sense there are certainly 'secrets' out there... problem is, once U make them public of sell them... they aren't secrets any more :D

vangogh
08-22-2008, 01:57 AM
Wouldn't you consider those more secrets for your particular case? Are they secrets that apply to a single client or industry? Or are you talking about something that can be used for the majority of sites that most people don't know about?

orion_joel
08-22-2008, 02:00 AM
I think in general way to many people hoping to make a quick dollar fall for these programs. To some extent some of them may be able to help you for a short time until the so called secret's become well known and less effective.

If it is a particular advertising tactic, then the it will get overdone. A search engine marketing tactic, it will get overdone, Or any other type of tactic, once it gets sold it will get overdone. When something gets overdone we all know it becomes less effective.

I dont think that there is anyway to make long term profits from any of these programs that generally cost a lot more then you could probably figure it out for yourself.

vangogh
08-22-2008, 02:52 AM
Oh yeah the people falling for most of these are getting taken. I've read some of the ebooks after they stopped being for sale and you can tell that while some of the tactics may have worked at one time, they certainly won't anymore. Usually when you see someone selling an ebook of their 'secrets' it's because the 'secrets' are no longer secret or soon will be made public. It's the last effort to capitalize on some information before it becomes worthless.

That's not to say there aren't some good ebooks out there. There are some very good ones, but they usually aren't trying to sell you secrets, just good old advice.

theGypsy
08-22-2008, 10:37 AM
Wouldn't you consider those more secrets for your particular case? Are they secrets that apply to a single client or industry? Or are you talking about something that can be used for the majority of sites that most people don't know about?

Once more, I consider it business intelligence not secrets per se. But there are tactics I employ that I feel are seriously under-used in the SEO world... and I am certainly not about to write about them or otherwise give them away as it is part of the competitive advantage.

In the end it's methodologies more than secrets and most successful businesses have them IMO...

vangogh
08-22-2008, 11:17 AM
Makes sense. There are something I'm not going to share either. I think it's one reason why most of the seo advice is focused on the general and the beginner.

I guess it's in how you define secrets. Most of the stuff we may not be talking about technically aren't secrets in the sense that we're the only people who know about them, but they're secret in the sense that their value and effectiveness aren't well known.

billbenson
08-22-2008, 02:54 PM
Particularly in the case of SEO, nobody is going to do a core dump of information. If you hang out on webmaster forums long enough you trip over most "secrets". Reverse engineering sites done by good web marketers will expose a lot of "secrets" as well.