PDA

View Full Version : business cards

Leatherneck
08-19-2008, 03:34 PM
Does any one want too sho off there business cards? I think we had a post like this on the old forum.

KristineS
08-19-2008, 04:30 PM
I currently have three, same title, different companies. I'll have to see if I can find them.

Dan Furman
08-19-2008, 06:10 PM
Thank you for reminding me - I need to get new ones made.

vangogh
08-19-2008, 07:22 PM
I'm ashamed to say I don't have one at the moment. I know, I know. Bad business person, bad business person. I do need to get on that and create one.

billbenson
08-19-2008, 07:59 PM
I haven't needed them since I got married :)

Evan
08-19-2008, 08:57 PM
I need to create new business cards for my new business venture. Still haven't completed them yet.

vangogh
08-19-2008, 09:22 PM
Funny how must of us don't seem to have cards and yet we all probably know how important it is to have them.

orion_joel
08-20-2008, 01:59 AM
Hmm, surprisingly i have a huge pile of them at home, when i started my business i though gees it is so much cheaper if i get 1,000 then a smaller amount. However more fool me, i still probbaly have 900+ sitting at home. However they are a fairly plain card just black on white in a standard typeface. I did consider ditching them and getting a new colour one done however have not had the time to think about it since i have been working.

KristineS
08-20-2008, 08:09 AM
I have cards for each of the companies and I rarely, if ever, use them. I guess they're kind of a "just in case" thing, it's better to have them if you need them, then it is to need them and not have them.

Leatherneck
08-20-2008, 08:12 AM
I heard one time that Bill Gates said that all business people should pass out at least 10 to 15 cards a day. Who am I too argue that one. They are really cheap asvertising for the return you could get.

Blessed
08-20-2008, 08:20 AM
Front & Back of my primary cards - I have different ones for the magazine I sell advertising in.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm73/CrazyDogsBlog/BusCardforWeb.jpg

Blessed
08-20-2008, 08:25 AM
Oh and if any of you who know you need cards but don't have them decide to go ahead and get them - I'm a broker for a printing company and I can probably get you a better deal than you will find elsewhere so if you're interested PM me.

And Moderators - if this post breaks the rules, I'm sorry - please delete it :)

vangogh
08-20-2008, 11:39 AM
No worries on breaking the rules. Your offer is certainly relevant to the discussion going on.

Nice card too.

KristineS
08-20-2008, 12:08 PM
I heard one time that Bill Gates said that all business people should pass out at least 10 to 15 cards a day. Who am I too argue that one. They are really cheap asvertising for the return you could get.

I don't think that's a bad idea if you're in a situation where you're meeting new people. I do send my business cards to people when it's warranted, but I don't get out of the office much. So handing out cards is kind of pointless for me on most days. All of my colleagues at work already know who I am and what I do. :D

Blessed
08-20-2008, 12:34 PM
No worries on breaking the rules. Your offer is certainly relevant to the discussion going on.

Nice card too.

Thank you! they certainly stand out from the crowd :D I can always tell just by glancing if I've already dropped one in the "enter to win a free lunch" drawing at the local sandwich shop :)

KristineS
08-20-2008, 01:27 PM
I can always tell just by glancing if I've already dropped one in the "enter to win a free lunch" drawing at the local sandwich shop :)

I use mine for that purpose too on occasion. Too funny!

cbscreative
08-20-2008, 02:19 PM
I would participate in this too, but I am in the process of redesign which should be complete in a matter of days and I prefer not to post my old card since I am ditching it. I do get a lot of compliments on it though.

My site resign is going quicker than expected, so I'll drop a note on the forum for anyone who wants to see it after launch. If you were to visit now, it would allow you to see the difference once the new one launches (hopefully this week).

Aaron Hats
08-20-2008, 05:09 PM
Shame on all of you who don't have a card. ;)

I use two different designs. One has our names as owners and the other has strictly the business info on it. These get taken and handed out by the dozens. I have them at the checkout counter and on the way out the door. I also have a card holder on the outside of the door so in case somebody is walking around town after-hours they can take a card with them.

I'll post the two tomorrow when I'm back in the store.

Aaron Hats
08-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Blessed, Love your design. Not sure I like the use of a gmail address but I love the design.

Blessed
08-20-2008, 05:16 PM
Blessed, Love your design. Not sure I like the use of a gmail address but I love the design.

Thanks!

Yea, I know, I need to buy a domain name... I just haven't done that yet - spending too much money on diapers :) Although... I love the way gmail handles email and I know some other business people who have switched to gmail from their "business" accounts. Right now my gmail account gets a little full I have emails from 3 different accounts landing there :)

KristineS
08-20-2008, 05:26 PM
You can set up gmail to reflect your domain name. We use Gmail for EnMart and GSI and you'd never know it was Gmail. I don't know how one accomplishes that, but my IT gurus do.

Blessed
08-20-2008, 05:30 PM
Kristine - that is good to know... I'll be doing that after I buy a domain name :)

In the meantime...
Here is my Wise Ads card - that's the shopper magazine I sell for and design

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm73/CrazyDogsBlog/WABCforWeb.jpg

vangogh
08-20-2008, 05:40 PM
No excuse for not buying a domain name. They cost less than $10/year so it's not exactly a huge investment. The hard part about domain names is finding one you like that's available. The one that's available today may not be tomorrow and likely won't be next month.

If you have a domain name you like it really is a good idea to get it as soon as possible. Trust me, nothing is worse than finding the perfect name, waiting a few days, and discovering that someone else now owns it when you go back to register it.

Blessed
08-20-2008, 05:52 PM
OK, OK already....

I just bought my domain:

www.crazydogcreative.com (http://www.crazydogcreative.com) - I guess now I really do need to get on the ball and learn a little about web design :eek:

that was a weeks worth of diapers... poor Lil Sugar :D

vangogh
08-20-2008, 05:54 PM
Cool. I didn't want to see you lose it.

Send my apologies to the little one. You can teach him a lesson about the harsh economics and realities of life.

"Sorry junior, but we had to trade your diaper money for this domain thing..."

Blessed
08-20-2008, 05:56 PM
I'll be sure to explain that to her... I don't think she'll get it though :D

Dan Furman
08-21-2008, 01:21 PM
No excuse for not buying a domain name. They cost less than $10/year so it's not exactly a huge investment. The hard part about domain names is finding one you like that's available. The one that's available today may not be tomorrow and likely won't be next month.

If you have a domain name you like it really is a good idea to get it as soon as possible. Trust me, nothing is worse than finding the perfect name, waiting a few days, and discovering that someone else now owns it when you go back to register it.

I've woken up in the middle of the night with ideas, got up, went to GoDaddy, and bought the domain at 4am. I buy domains for one year almost anytime I have an idea - at $10 or so, it's a bargain.

Now I'll admit, most of these domains I let expire as I never run with the idea, but a few have really paid off. For example, my latest book title ("Do the Web Write") comes right from me having an idea about a website geared towards web writing and website conversion, and buying the domain. I never did do the website, but the domain came in very handy when deciding on a book title.

By the way, another small piece of advice - if you do something with a "clever" spelling like I did with "write", I urge you to spend the extra $10 and get the correct one too (I have www.dothewebright" also). Because if I'm interviewed on the radio, and I say "go to www dot do the web write dot com", well, which "write"/"right" will the listener put in? Now I'm covered.

vangogh
08-21-2008, 02:53 PM
I've let a lot of domains expire too over the years. I remember when I was looking for a name for my first business. Every time I came up with something I liked the domain was taken. Then I'd hit on something I liked while in bed and did the same thing where I ran to the computer to see if it was available. It generally wasn't.

KristineS
08-21-2008, 03:58 PM
We've had domains expire on us too. We'll get an idea, buy the domain and then something happens and the site that was planned never materializes. Then, a year later, I get an e-mail from IT, "do we still want this domain"?

For the amount of money it costs us, it's worth having the domain reserved should we want it.

KristineS
08-21-2008, 03:59 PM
OK, OK already....

I just bought my domain:

www.crazydogcreative.com (http://www.crazydogcreative.com) - I guess now I really do need to get on the ball and learn a little about web design :eek:

Congratulations on buying your domain!

Lil Sugar may not understand now, but she will some day.

Paul Elliott
08-22-2008, 09:40 PM
By the way, another small piece of advice - if you do something with a "clever" spelling like I did with "write", I urge you to spend the extra $10 and get the correct one too (I have www.dothewebright" also). Because if I'm interviewed on the radio, and I say "go to www dot do the web write dot com", well, which "write"/"right" will the listener put in? Now I'm covered.

Excellent strategy, Dan. It may or may not be worth it to buy some of the other TLD extensions--.net, .org, .info, .us, .mobi, etc.

Paul

lav
10-21-2008, 03:29 AM
http://www.coedesign.com.au/card1.jpgI have details on the back of course but it seems that people are surprised that I have a photo of myself on the card. I just think it makes it more personal. Of course they are printed on 100% recycled stock

lav
10-21-2008, 03:29 AM
oops thats a big image isnt it...... a learning experience.....hehe

KristineS
10-21-2008, 08:54 AM
That's an interesting card. Looks kind of like the poster for a movie.

vangogh
10-21-2008, 12:38 PM
I like the card too. It would definitely be noticed.

I'm also glad to connect a face and real name with the username. Now I can connect comments on my blog from Jason Coe with lav that I talk to on the forum. I think I've linked to you before too without realizing it was you. Small world sometimes.

Remipub
10-21-2008, 10:42 PM
That's a great card lav ... the front anyway!

Here's mine ... front and back.

Also - I wrote an article (which has been posted on other forums) I could post here if anyone is interested - entitled "A guide to effective business card design." Just let me know and I'll post it in a separate thread.

cbscreative
10-21-2008, 10:49 PM
Welcome Remi, feel free to start your own intro thread.

Just an FYI though, if you post the article, you can link to it in a relevant thread (or start one) once you have 10 posts. Do not post the article itself though. Thank you for asking before just posting. I hope you enjoy the forum as a great resource.

vangogh
10-22-2008, 12:41 AM
Tim (I assume it's Tim based on the card) that's another nice biz card. I like your use of bright colors to emphasize the full color printing.

I'll echo what Steve said. We'd rather you link to the article if it comes up in a discussion, but we're not looking to have people post articles as thread starters if they exist elsewhere. Your article does sound interesting, but we'd just as soon have you link to it. If you want feel free to list the link here. The system may not let you post a live link, but I can change it to a live one or repost it as a live link.

fsbo
08-07-2011, 07:42 PM
I have found that if I pass out business cards like they were candy, I begin to convince myself that I am really out their building my business. I had someone suggest that I only pass out a business card when I have set a clear future to reconnect with that person. It has helped me to focus on my contacts and to stop collecting business cards.

fsbo
08-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Regarding the earlier post about including your photo on your card, if your looks are an asset go for it. Some of us that come up short in that area should keep the photo off.

Paul Elliott
08-07-2011, 09:09 PM
FSBO, that means you are now working on relationship building, the business we are all in, rather than simply posting billboards.

Paul

Paul Elliott
08-07-2011, 09:19 PM
I just bought my domain:

Jenn, I realize it's been a while. You can certainly post some of your artwork, logos, graphics, etc., etc., on your site and get some testimonials. You can make it a showcase.

Paul

fsbo
08-08-2011, 05:35 PM
I have been taught to treat my cards like gold. I don't just pass them out to everyone I see. If I do that, I start to think that I am actually doing something to build my business. When in reality, all I am doing is hoping that if I pass out enough cards someone will call me back. I only pass out my card when I have a clear next step with the person. I either arrange a meeting (set time and date), a time to call them, or I get a list of specific information that I will send to them and then follow up. Another trick that works well is to use magnetic messenger (http://http://www.magneticmessenger.com/christening_invitations.htm) cards. Always remember to tell them to stick it on their refrigerator or file cabinet for future reference. It is a polite way to let them know you will be waiting for their call and business in the future.

fsbo
08-08-2011, 05:52 PM
Paul, And my results have soared since realizing the difference.

Paul Elliott
08-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Paul, And my results have soared since realizing the difference.

Good for you, fsbo! Contact each person whose card you have acquired and offer something of value ... to them. As you exchange cards, learn what it is that they value or need help with and see how you can help them. This begins the process of "know, like, then trust."

Paul

NineDesign
08-10-2011, 11:37 AM
Here's a look at my business cards – the first iteration of them at least.

I always find that as a designer, it's really hard to design for myself. When I'm both the client and the designer it can get pretty rough. Apparently I'm a very hard client to please. ;)

http://ninecreative.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/nd_bcards-preview.jpg

vangogh
08-10-2011, 12:22 PM
I always find that as a designer, it's really hard to design for myself.

I know exactly what you mean. Designers make terrible design clients the same way doctor's make terrible patients. :)

Nice card by the way. I really like how the blue 9 looks against the background.

thebizinator
08-10-2011, 04:04 PM
If you're looking to buy quality business cards, the site in my profile reviews the best business card printing companies and orders them according to customer reviews. It's a useful website to use if you're ever looking to buy business services.

NineDesign
08-10-2011, 04:42 PM
I know exactly what you mean. Designers make terrible design clients the same way doctor's make terrible patients. :)

Nice card by the way. I really like how the blue 9 looks against the background.

Yeah, at some point we just have to remember to keep it simple and get it done! You should have seen how many logo concepts I did. I must have had close to 30 variations of that 9 with very small differences in each one.

And thank you for the compliment on my cards, I really appreciate it!

vangogh
08-10-2011, 05:01 PM
we just have to remember to keep it simple and get it done!

Easier said than done. :)

Dan Furman
08-10-2011, 08:02 PM
Yeah, at some point we just have to remember to keep it simple and get it done! You should have seen how many logo concepts I did. I must have had close to 30 variations of that 9 with very small differences in each one.

And thank you for the compliment on my cards, I really appreciate it!

I like it a lot too!

cbscreative
08-16-2011, 12:47 PM
I always find that as a designer, it's really hard to design for myself. When I'm both the client and the designer it can get pretty rough. Apparently I'm a very hard client to please. ;)

So true! Many of the members here will probably remember the process when I redesigned my own logo a few years ago. I made some of the same mistakes I teach clients to avoid. Had it not been for some honest feedback from members here, I don't know what might have happened. It's way harder to design for yourself even when you do it professionally for others.

JeremyJ
08-25-2011, 04:01 PM
I like your makala fence logo. here is our card.

Paul Elliott
08-25-2011, 04:42 PM
OK, OK already....

I just bought my domain:

Perhaps the diapers won out. GoDaddy says your domain expired 5 days ago--8-20-11. Perhaps you missed the warnings.:eek:

Paul

greenoak
08-25-2011, 06:57 PM
9 design...very classy!!!

bxlnt
08-25-2011, 10:20 PM

I know the feeling!

Here are mine, or at least the first draft of them.
http://beauxlent.com/images/art/id-001.png
Couldn't decide between the two colors.

alphadore
08-26-2011, 05:24 AM
The red one seems pretty good and creative.

Paul Elliott
08-26-2011, 12:34 PM
Zainab, your designs are attractive.

Some thoughts.

Are most of your clients women? Keep in mind that 2-5% of the male population of the planet have a partial red-green color blindness. The pastels would appear as varying shades of gray to such men--that would be white "ink" on a light gray background. That
may provide too little contrast and produce confusion that will not serve you well.

The very stylized typeface is also a little difficult to decipher, e.g., As and Os. One of my marketing principles is that "Anything that is difficult to be read will not be ... read."

The same principle would apply to the stylized logo--beauxlent ... I think based on your web address. You know what it says, of course, but those seeing it for the first time have to study it. Psychologically logos should not call attention to themselves. If a logo calls attention to itself in such a fashion, it is not serving you well. Logos are for visual identification and anchoring rather than for enjoying or studying.

Keep up your good work!

Paul

AllCeasonsDesign
08-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Business cards are one of the cheapest, yet most effective ways to market your business.
Tip: hand them out with every piece of paper you leave anywhere. (reciepts, checks, you name it) You never know who will get their hands on your card and need exactly what you provide. They are so inexpensive to have printed these days that you really cant go wrong.

cbscreative
08-26-2011, 03:38 PM
I like your makala fence logo.

I'll say thanks on Mak's behalf since I designed the logo and he hasn't been here in while.

AllCeasonsDesign
08-26-2011, 04:36 PM
9 - Very nice. I like the colors and the "simplicity". I put simplicity in quotes because I know it can be the hardest thing to do!

SCUBA9097
09-06-2011, 05:37 AM
Here's my current rendition:

onestepatatime52
09-07-2011, 06:11 PM
I remember a few years ago when people said that business cards were not going to be needed. I agree with an earlier post about how simple and cost-effective business cards can be for marketing. As an added bonus, they may help you win the free lunch drawing at your local restaurant.

On a serious note, the use of business cards is still a key business functions. In a global business environment, it pays to have your cards with you when working with international client/potential clients.

mailorder
09-07-2011, 07:22 PM
As an added bonus, they may help you win the free lunch drawing at your local restaurant.

I've been told they pulled out the best looking, most professional card for the free lunch or the free copies at the office stores.

I carry my estimators card every where I go and hand out about 400 a month and about 150 of them were from doing estimates.

I don't like the cards that are printed on both sides. If I’m having a good conversation with someone and we trade cards I like to take a few quick notes on the back so I can follow up with the person at a latter time.

cbscreative
09-07-2011, 11:09 PM
I don't like the cards that are printed on both sides. If I’m having a good conversation with someone and we trade cards I like to take a few quick notes on the back so I can follow up with the person at a latter time.

Good point. Many people do this, and I have done it many times myself. Printing on both sides, and worse yet gloss or lamination, are major annoyances to many people. It's best to avoid the practice. If you REALLY must add more info than what reasonably fits on one side, there better be good reason for it, and it would be more advisable to do a fold-over card that still allows writing space on the back.

Spider
09-07-2011, 11:38 PM
I would recommend, if you are going to make notes on the back of someone's card in their presence, that you ask permission - or at least a "do you mind?" Mention was made above about international settings - some cultures traditionally treat business cards very seriously and you could inadvertently insult someone by writing on their card.

Still, Americans are not noted internationally for their inter-culture savvy, and you will probably be forgiven (or tolerated.) It depends on how much they need you as opposed to how much you need them.

Noelle
09-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Business cards with QR codes on them are pretty cool, and also serve as a great conversation starter.

mobile resolutions
09-14-2011, 01:28 AM
I have a digital business card.

Text LeslieDavis to 90210 to see it.

RMMarketing
09-14-2011, 06:38 AM
Ive acutually have 3 diefferent ones for my business. A personal one, one that caters to Residential Clients and one to Commercial.

scottish
09-22-2011, 02:08 PM
I'm thinking of redesigning my business cards. any thoughts on including prices on them? I basically only offer a few services and it's not much trouble to reorder the cards if the prices change. I don't want people to be put off by having to ask for a quote.

cbscreative
09-22-2011, 02:33 PM
I'm thinking of redesigning my business cards. any thoughts on including prices on them? I basically only offer a few services and it's not much trouble to reorder the cards if the prices change. I don't want people to be put off by having to ask for a quote.

Business cards typically don't show prices, but if you can get everything on 2-3 lines without crowding the card, it could work to your advantage depending on your business. Without knowing more, your question is hard to answer.

AllCeasonsDesign
09-22-2011, 04:26 PM

Scottish,
I dont believe your business card is the right place for prices. Generally, business cards should be simple with your logo and contact information inluding your website. Your website or corresponding advertising materials is a much better place to list your prices. I dont think anyone would be put off by having to go to your website to see what you charge. They still dont have to ask for a quote and its a more appropriate place for pricing info.

lowbudgetcopywriting
10-16-2011, 02:31 AM

It depends on the business, but I like the idea. However, if your prices change, you could find yourself with lots of splainin' to do -- even a year or two (or three) down the road. :)

I once wrote the copy for a services company's card and the base price for their primary offering was part of their value prop.

But more often, instead of price I'll suggest using the back of a card for an evergreen promo. ("This month get a FREE ____ when you ____. ") You can also add tracking to the back just like you would on any ad. ("Ask for Ralph when you call and get a special discount.")

AvidTexting
11-10-2011, 06:42 PM
Like the others said, pricing on a business card usually isn't a good idea unless you're undercutting other businesses substantially. You want the contact details and website on there as a minimum. Some random facts, or information on there to help the card receiver be more interested or remember you better is great as well.

KMcVey
11-10-2011, 08:00 PM
I like the QR code as well. It's simple for everyone to be able to scan the card and have your information automatically programed into their smart phone.
I worked with a woman once who gave me a metal business card. I thought it was the coolest thing and had a lot of guilt about throwing it away. It felt like it was substantial and had value. She told me that a client once told her their child used it to play with their Playdough. Now that seems like a great way to keep you in a customers mind :) Mostly business cards get lost in the dark recesses of my purse in a way only Mary Poppins can understand.
I don't have business cards, but this is a great thread to review when thinking about a game plan.

vangogh
11-11-2011, 11:15 AM
The thing about QR codes though is how many people actually use them. I see them all over the place and yet I've never scanned one. How many people are scanning them and how many people know they even can?

j.dunning
03-12-2012, 12:25 AM
I thought I'd jump into the convo here.

I just finished these recently for a new branch of my business. I don't have any feedback on the QR code yet.

vangogh
03-12-2012, 11:42 AM
I like the textured look of the cards. Definitely stands out from the usual cards that get passed around. I don't think I'd have a hard time picking yours out of a stack. I'd be interested to know what you find out about the QR codes. I think most people still have no idea what they are and I wonder how useful the codes are to businesses at the moment. Does your's lead to the home page of your site?

MyITGuy
03-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Does your's lead to the home page of your site?

Looks like it does...which in my opinion should lead to an entry page so the results of the QR code can be quantified.

Paul Elliott
03-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Jon, my background and focus are on the subliminal aspects of human response. What goes on in your client's subconscious, BEFORE any conscious processing occurs, is the most important. The subconscious is where the attitudes toward you and your business are formed in milliseconds. Your information should be acquired at a glance as much as possible. The more mental work it requires to "capture" your information, the less likely the client is to respond the way you wish.

The following ARE NOT comments on your superior ability as a graphic artist. They are intended to help you apply your talent and experience in a more effective manner for you and for your clients. It is your clients who will be subconsciously affected, either good or bad, by your designs.

Your card designs are dark and somber--dark colors, blacks, and grays. Do you want that to be the first subconscious feeling the viewer of your card has? Likely not.

The background of the first image is "too textured." By that, I mean that the heaviness of the texture makes the subconscious and conscious decoding of you message more difficult. There is not much constrast. More contrast is good.

The typefaces are too ornate to allow rapid mental decoding. Remember that human brains and computers decode written text rather differently. You are writing and designing for human brains rather than computers.

Much of what I said in post #58 last summer applies to your card designs. (See quoted below.)

In the second image the red instruction to scan the QRCode is in a black background. My comments about red/green colorblindness below apply. Those men who are wired witll not see your instruction very well, if at all. They will see it as dark gray print on a black backgound. Do you wish to abandon that 2-5% of the male population? I suspect not. Use reds and greens carefully. Those colors on a WHITE background are much more likely to be read. At the worst, they will appear as gray ink on a white background.

Zainab, your designs are attractive.

Some thoughts.

Are most of your clients women? Keep in mind that 2-5% of the male population of the planet have a partial red-green color blindness. The pastels would appear as varying shades of gray to such men--that would be white "ink" on a light gray background. That
may provide too little contrast and produce confusion that will not serve you well.

The very stylized typeface is also a little difficult to decipher, e.g., As and Os. One of my marketing principles is that "Anything that is difficult to be read will not be ... read."

The same principle would apply to the stylized logo--beauxlent ... I think based on your web address. You know what it says, of course, but those seeing it for the first time have to study it. Psychologically logos should not call attention to themselves. If a logo calls attention to itself in such a fashion, it is not serving you well. Logos are for visual identification and anchoring rather than for enjoying or studying.

I thought I'd jump into the convo here.

I just finished these recently for a new branch of my business. I don't have any feedback on the QR code yet.

As has been said earlier, crisp and clean is best.

I'll discuss more about my expererience and suggestions with QRCodes later.

Keep up your good work!

Paul

Paul Elliott
03-12-2012, 02:06 PM
I suggest that a business use several QR Codes. If each one goes to a unique redirect page that, then, sends the customer to the site's home page, or wherever you want them, you can track the marketing campaign's results with programs such as Google Analytics. The code for a redirect page is simple.

You can use one for your business cards, another for a postcard mailing, another for another postcard mailing, another for a handout, etc. If all only go to your home page, you cannot properly test your different campaigns.

Paul

vangogh
03-13-2012, 01:06 AM
I suggest that a business use several QR Codes.

Does anyone have stats that QR codes work?

Granted I'm only one person, but I've never visited anything with a QR code. I have a hard time understanding why anyone would. They take more effort to use than a URL. There's little, if any, indication where they lead. They require yet another app to use.

Who here has visited something through a QR code and who has some kind of stats to show they work? I'm not trying to say they don't have any use. It's just that I have a hard time believing they get used and am curious about them.

henryz
03-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Hello Vangogh, I usually put qr codes on most of the real estate signage I do, but I actually used one for Christmas, I went to Home Depot and they had LED Christmas light for sale and had a qr code on the box that when you scan it it directed you to a you tube video of the light in actions, pretty cool so I bought them, the codes work...

MyITGuy
03-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Who here has visited something through a QR code

I've seen them used, and did scan them at a local art event that told more about the artist/sculpture(s) I was looking at as there was a need/want to know that information right away without typing out a potentially long URL.

In a normal business sense, I would be more likely just to wait until I get back to the office to visit the company website I find on the business card...but I could see where QR codes might come in handy at conventions or etc where you have displays.

vangogh
03-14-2012, 12:26 AM
pretty cool so I bought them, the codes work

Well we know they work on someone. :) I'm curious about overall stats though. I would bet most people still have no clue what they are or how to use them. Then there's another group (which I guess includes me) that knows what they are and how to use them, but hasn't bothered to download the tools to use them. I couldn't imagine downloading an app just because I want to scan a QR code.

I've seen them used, and did scan them at a local art event that told more about the artist/sculpture(s) I was looking at as there was a need/want to know that information right away without typing out a potentially long URL.

I can see that use case. That makes more sense to me as a way to use QR codes. You're not moving around so you have time. There's an obvious motivation and there's likely some explanation around as to how to use the QR code and why you'd want to use it. How long of a url are we talking though? Is it the artists name? The gallery's name? Is typing even a long URL more difficult than downloading a new app?

I guess the idea is to save people from typing out URLs. Ok, I get that, but are QR codes really the best way to do that. I can currently talk to my phone and have it type the URL. Maybe not something I'd do at a gallery, but easily enough when I'm home reading a magazine. I think it would work better if the cameras that are already on our phones could do what the apps do. Even better if you don't need to take an actual picture, but just center the code in the lens.

By the way, earlier today I came across an article, Four Questions For QR Code Designers (http://designfestival.com/four-questions-for-qr-code-designers/), which naturally made me think of this thread. Some interesting discussion about how to design QR codes so they're more likely to be used.

markbell
03-14-2012, 05:46 PM
Think everyone has seen a reduction in passing out business cards as with your on-line presence, v-cards and email most people scan and or toss them after they plug them into their contacts list.

MyITGuy
03-14-2012, 05:47 PM
I can see that use case. That makes more sense to me as a way to use QR codes. You're not moving around so you have time. There's an obvious motivation and there's likely some explanation around as to how to use the QR code and why you'd want to use it.

The Informational board did have a brief description around the artists/work itself, and in the bottom right corner was a QR Code placed next to some text indicating that if you would like to learn more, to scan the code.

Once the code was scanned, it took you to a specific page that had more information on the artwork itself as well as some video/pictures that were taken during the creation of the piece.

How long of a url are we talking though? Is it the artists name? The gallery's name? Is typing even a long URL more difficult than downloading a new app?
I just checked my history and the items I viewed are no longer available...but it was a considerably large URL. Using henryz example of placing the QR Code on real estate signage (People window shopping for new houses even though the property is not available for viewing), a sample URL could look like:

http:// www. century21.com/property/9500-babcock-palm-bay-fl-32909-CBR70845580

Even if using a Short URL it could still be

http:// thd.to/KRHMUFV9HOGFUO

Could you imagine yourself tying that out on your smartphone, and hoping you don't mis-key something, now imagine yourself just launching an app and snapping a pic. I don't know about you but launching an app and snapping a pic sounds allot easier to me.

vangogh
03-15-2012, 03:02 PM
Think everyone has seen a reduction in passing out business cards as with your on-line presence, v-cards and email most people scan and or toss them after they plug them into their contacts list.

Reduction perhaps, but I don't think they've gone away at all. I'd be most people still don't know what a v-card is and having a business card helps remember the email address in the first place. A business card is still nice and easy way to communicate some basic information.

The Informational board did have a brief description around the artists/work itself, and in the bottom right corner was a QR Code placed next to some text indicating that if you would like to learn more, to scan the code.

I think this is a much better use for QR codes than many of the places where I've seen them. There's one here in town on the side of a building. No indication whatsoever about where it might lead and not exactly easy to scan while driving past it.

I do get that it's easier to snap a picture than type a long URL, however those URLs are rather poor choices on the part of the site. For example why not

http:// www. century21.com/fl/palm-bay/9500-babcock

Still long, but not hard to remember. It could also be something like

century21.com and search for 9500 Babcock.

I'm not denying it's easier to take a picture, but it does require

1. you understand that's what you do when you see a QR code
2. you've already downloaded an app
3. there's enough information around the QR code to indicate where it will lead
4. you're not moving past the QR code too quickly

The last one probably doesn't apply as you might not be able to remember a URL when moving past it, however the first 3 apply. I'd bet most people have no idea what QR codes are and that even less people currently have an app that will work with them. #3 depends on the individual code, but many of the ones I've seen have no context for where they'll lead.

Again I'm not trying to suggest QR codes are useless, but I question how valuable they are at the moment, especially the way most businesses currently seem to use them. They make sense to me in specific contexts like your example with the art gallery. They don't make sense to me when directing someone to the home page of your site.

henryz
03-15-2012, 07:04 PM
Maybe a new thread about qr codes should be started, since this is where is leading... I am pretty familiar with them, but wouldn't mind learning more.

vangogh
03-16-2012, 01:08 AM
Probably not a bad idea since we seem to have hijacked this one.

Creative Pile
05-12-2012, 01:16 PM

It works. Business cards are important if you want to network. Don't settle for the regular stock designs. Go the extra mile and get custom designed business cards.