PDA

View Full Version : wanna see something freaky

handprop
11-18-2009, 03:19 PM
Check this link out and press play. It really puts perspective on the economy.

multimediafinal (http://cohort11.americanobserver.net/latoyaegwuekwe/multimediafinal.html)

KristineS
11-18-2009, 05:21 PM
It sure does. Rather sad too.

vangogh
11-19-2009, 03:11 AM
It's interesting to see where most of the unemployment is too. It makes sense, but it's wild seeing it creep out from a few states and spread across the country. I live in the time zone that's least affected, though I do seem to live in one of the harder hit parts of that time zone.

Steve B
11-19-2009, 06:45 AM
That was cool. It looks like there's a county in North Dakota that forgot to send in their numbers.

Patrysha
11-19-2009, 09:06 AM
It was kind of eye opening. Of course, it made me wonder what a similar map of Canada would look like over the same time period to see how it compares.

handprop
11-19-2009, 09:36 AM
An interactive chart like this is really cool. If I had more hours in the day it would be neat to plug other things into it besides unemployment. You could use it with health care, cancer rates, immigration growth, housing, and actually most anything.

From a business perspective you could plug in all sorts of things related to time and effectiveness.

When I look at that I'm also reminded that a recovery will be slow and take many years, not to mention that a recovery probably doesn't mean we will go back to business as usual. Anyhow, I emailed it to a ton of business associates and the response was crazy. It's amazing how an interactive tool can change perspective.

Patrysha
11-19-2009, 09:44 AM
Mike...with all due respect...quit playing with toys and get to telling us the story of Duncan!! Pretty please :D

vangogh
11-19-2009, 11:51 AM
C'mon toys are fun. But yeah we were promised a story about Dunan. I'm not going to bed until I hear it. :)

By the way it's interesting how the chart presents things. Just by their choice in colors they make everything seem as ominous as possible. Starting with lighter colors and then showing the ominous darkness sweep across the country. Had the colors been reversed or had the change in color not been as dramatic you could come away with a different view of things.

I'm not suggesting things are better than they appear on the chart. More pointing out how choices like color can make a huge difference in getting your message across. In this case the colors chosen make perfect sense since they help amplify the message. Guess it's the designer in me that notices and feels the need to point this stuff out.

Ok so where's the Duncan story :)

KristineS
11-19-2009, 12:34 PM
That's a good point Vangogh, and one I hadn't considered. It does look more ominous as the chart gets darker and darker. Guess that goes to show that color does have an influence, even if you're not aware of it.

vangogh
11-19-2009, 06:27 PM
I can't help but notice things like that. :)

nealrm
11-19-2009, 09:47 PM
I noticed that too. I also noticed that the top 2 dark colors were the largest categories. I wonder how the chart would look if the colors were adjusted to allow for 7-7.9, 8-8.9, and 9-9.9 categories.

handprop
11-19-2009, 11:21 PM
I'm up north hunting at the hunting lodge now and I just had to check all of the forums I hang in. The first thing I see is the story of Duncan.

I guess I have time tonight because everybody went to the bar and that's just not my thing. It's not a life changing story or anything like that but It was a fun project I did for free to help a fellow pilot out. Maybe someone could have use for it.

Give me an hour and I'll post it

Mike