PDA

View Full Version : what would you do?

rezzy
11-17-2009, 04:30 PM
So, a friend of mine asked me to recommend a website host. I recommended myself, and two other solid competitors. After a few messages back and forth the person choose to use a another company. Which is fine with me, she got caught up in the "unlimited" scam.

My question is, if this person has problems and they ask me for help, should I help? Or should I direct her to her chosen company?

KristineS
11-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Depends, I suppose. How good a friend is this? If this sort of thing is what you do for a living, are you taking money out of your pocket it you offer assistance?

I'm not sure what I would do. I've gotten deals from friends for work they've done for me, but I always insist on paying something if that is what they do for a living. Unless it's something very small, I wouldn't feel right otherwise.

rezzy
11-17-2009, 05:55 PM
I really dont mind offering free assistance to anyone. But under these circumstances, it makes me less then excited about offering setup and maintenance help.

I think if I am asked about a simple question (suggest a wordpress plugin, etc), I will offer insight. But will not help configuring any portion of the site. Is that fair?

vangogh
11-17-2009, 07:43 PM
Like Kristine said it depends on how good a friend. I have some friends I'll do anything for and never worry or care about payment. For most though I'm charging. It's what I do for a living.

What you're suggesting is fair. This is a friend so nothing wrong with offer free advice. It's what friend's do. I probably wouldn't spend any time on actual work though for free.

By the way in the future just recommend yourself. Tell someone you offer hosting and be done with it. Only if they insist on knowing the names of other companies tell them the names of those other companies while explaining how if they choose someone other than you, you won't be able to help them with setting up their accounts.

rezzy
11-18-2009, 08:20 AM
Sounds like a good suggestion, thanks steven and kristine.

vangogh
11-18-2009, 04:28 PM
Glad to help.

KristineS
11-18-2009, 05:18 PM
Glad we could help you figure it out. It is hard to know where to draw the line sometimes.