PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

The Logo-Mat
11-16-2009, 02:23 PM
Hello,
I run a logo design business (as of the last 2 years), just my wife & I.
I'm posting for 2 reasons:
1) For any advice on where to get decent site visits via a banner ad for around $30 a month. Any advice?
2) To offer logo design services to any other small business owners out there.

**Please create a sig file**

Thanks!
-Matt

Patrysha
11-16-2009, 04:15 PM
Welcome to the forum :-)

Not sure I can be of much help with your questions, but thought I'd say HI.

vangogh
11-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Welcome to the forum Matt.

I don't know that $30 is going to be a realistic budget for banner advertising. You can definitely find sites where you can place a banner for a $25 or so a month, but whether or not that will result in people actually paying you to design a logo is another thing. There's nothing wrong with a single banner advertisement, but in all likelihood you're going to need more to build a business. Banners are probably more effective when it comes to brand building than click through.

You might instead try putting that $30/month into something like AdWords, though even with AdWords $30 is not a huge advertising budget.

Just a bit of forum stuff. I do hope if you participate here some members and people reading will contact you for a logo. However do know that we delete all self-promotional posts. The best way to generate business through this or any forum is to actively participate and contribute to the forum and the members of the forum. If you contribute people will eventually contact you for business. Participation gives people a way to see what you know and what you're capable of doing. Self-promotion won't and it won't last on the forum for long.

KristineS
11-17-2009, 01:00 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I have to agree with Vangogh, $30 a month for banner ads may not be realistic.

You might be better off looking at pay per click ads like Adwords. As Vangogh said, $30 isn't a big budget there either, but you're only paying for clickthroughs so at least you'd get people to your web site.

The Logo-Mat
11-17-2009, 01:03 PM
I've tried Adwords for years & don't think the return is worth the investment. I'm not so much building this business, as maintaining it- since we've thrived for 2 years now. I get 50 fresh page visits a day from a banner ad placed on a hosting/web design site. It costs $28.00 per month & yields plenty of logo design clients. I'm looking for any leads similar to this.

vangogh
11-17-2009, 01:37 PM
In that case I'd say just search for sites that have a similar audience to your target market. I know there are more hosting/design sites out there. You might just have to try a site and measure your results for a month or two and based on the results decide whether to continue or whether to look for another place for the banner.

With AdWords how well did you optimize your campaigns. AdWords definitely works, but you do have to spend some time tweaking things. Depending on how you set things up initially it may not have worked right away, but it definitely can work.

The Logo-Mat
11-17-2009, 01:46 PM
I like to think I perfected Adwords as much as I personally could w/out hiring someone else to do it- I used all the common tricks out there (multiple campaigns, specific keywords, etc.). I think my low prices are the problem ($150 per logo). Say I invest $200 a week on Adwords & get 1 job.....I'm in the hole. For what I do (small fish in a huge sea) I've actually had a lot of luck with banner ads...

vangogh
11-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Go with banner ads then. I'm definitely not trying to convince you to set AdWords up again. Seems like you knew what you were doing with AdWords well enough to decide it wasn't working for you. I mention it only because some people say it doesn't work, but they all they ever did was set up a few keywords off the top of their head and left it alone.

If you haven't already tried this you might search for things like 'advertising rates web design' and similar. I think most of the sites that will take advertising will have a page about their rates. If not maybe search for 'advertise on this site' and add in the industry.

I know the banner spots are out there. The question is going to be which site will end up working best for you.

The Logo-Mat
11-18-2009, 10:12 PM
This is who I use now: Online Advertising | BuySellAds.com (http://buysellads.com)

Does anyone know of any other services like this?

vangogh
11-18-2009, 10:24 PM
That's a great site. I've heard a lot of good things about it. Do they have any other sites where you could place a banner for a similar cost?

yoyoyoyoyo
01-15-2010, 02:52 PM
looks like your one success (the 28 dollars per month situation) should be multiplied, on other sites.

TmasterMind
01-21-2010, 06:49 AM
I would say that too, you look successful enough in the business. Thus, just retain with CPM basis where you pay a fixed $ amount for a fixed number of thousand impressions. The CPM will vary dependent on the site you advertise on. Also it is generally a good idea to target your banner ads to sites that match or relate to the subject of your site. Good impressions last. :)

Paper Shredder Clay
01-26-2010, 04:56 PM
I don't know about where to post your banners, but I would do it in small business areas. Do you have a niche for certain industries? If so market towards them. Also I would check out some of the freelancing web sites out there to find potential clients.