PDA

View Full Version : I did the unthinkable and bought a book

handprop
11-14-2009, 09:22 PM
OK, for those of you who have read my posts it's quite clear how I feel about buying marketing books.

I can't believe I did this but I bought a book called "The collapse of distinction". I think I saw it on a post from Bill. Anyway, I bought it used on Amazon for $3 plus shipping (Hardcover) and when I got it the book was never opened. I have no idea why all I know is it's a great book and should be required reading for everybody. I read the book in three evenings and I have to say the entire book is well written and all of it is true.

Mike

handprop
11-14-2009, 09:26 PM
I'm sorry, it was Paul Elliot who mentioned the book.

Thanks Paul, great find!

Mike

vangogh
11-14-2009, 10:17 PM
Reading is good for you. :) Even if it is a marketing book. I actually the best way to learn is a combination of theory and practice. Learn theory from the books and then apply what you've learned in practice. Mix in your experience and build a system that works for you.

KristineS
11-16-2009, 01:41 PM
I may have to look for that book. I'm a big fan of books, as my library at home testifies.

Blessed
11-16-2009, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the recommendation Mike - I'll have to check the library for that one!

scottmckain
11-18-2009, 11:19 PM
Mike -- just wanted to say that I'm thrilled that you liked my book! And, I'm grateful that you were willing to share your enthusiasm for it...I really appreciate it!

Scott

handprop
11-18-2009, 11:47 PM
Thank you for giving me a great book. I'm very cautious with books and it's rare I can recommend one. I supply marketing advice and strategy to the Republican party so you can see why I need to be careful to just recommend anything. I enjoyed the book so much that I email a bunch of associates including folks at West point, Harvard, University of Chicago, the RNC, a dozen or so manufacturing companies, and a bunch of buddies in marketing.

The book hit on some key points that we all sort of have kicking around our heads but can never seem to gather. It was an unusual book in every sense of the word and itself had a type of distinction about it compared to other books.

I'm heading up north Wisconsin for deer hunting in the morning and I have it packed so I can read it again while I'm hunting in my little hut while I freeze. I don't actually shoot deer I just pretend I'm going to and then play a little poker in the evening.:D

Thanks also for making it a quality hardcover book, very top notch!

Mike

vangogh
11-19-2009, 12:39 AM
We don't have a link to the book in the thread, so how about a link to Scott's site about the book (http://collapseofdistinction.com/). You can find details and a link to the buy the book there.

Thanks for dropping by Scott.

Paul Elliott
11-28-2009, 12:30 PM
I'm sorry, it was Paul Elliot who mentioned the book.

Thanks Paul, great find!

Mike

You're very welcome, Mike. It is indeed a truly wonderful book. I dare say it will soon establish itself as a classic.

Paul