PDA

View Full Version : Accounting Software

Evan
08-06-2008, 04:31 PM
What type of accounting software do you use in your small business? Do you like the program? Would you recommend it to another small business owner?

KristineS
08-06-2008, 04:35 PM
What type of accounting software do you use in your small business? Do you like the program? Would you recommend it to another small business owner?

The company I work for has a proprietary program that we wrote ourselves. From what I understand, it's quite good. My area is Marketing, so I don't get involved in the numbers too much.

cbscreative
08-06-2008, 04:49 PM
I needed to put all my training and education to good use, so I created my own. My needs were not really super sophisticated so I built a database that does paperwork, invoicing, etc. I can also do a spreadsheet for pretty much any need that comes up.

Evan
08-06-2008, 06:56 PM
My area is Marketing, so I don't get involved in the numbers too much.

The marketing department gets a budget, and that very much is an accounting-related function.

KristineS
08-06-2008, 09:29 PM
You're right Evan, so in that sense I am involved in the numbers. I'm probably more involved than I like to admit since I manage our web sites and have to do cost/benefit analysis and ROI analysis on our advertising. When I really think about it I'm much more involved with numbers than I want to admit.

That's sort of odd for someone who's always been a word girl.

orion_joel
08-07-2008, 12:21 AM
I use a program called MYOB Accounting, for my invoiceing, and tracking of purchases and sales tax, i think this may be a primarily Australian Program. I have also used quickbooks and although it has been maybe 6 or 7 years since i used quickbooks, i much prefer MYOB over quickbooks, as i used both around the same time and quickly decided that MYOB was a much better program and easier for me to use.

On the other side, i do make extensive use of Excel for maintaining some track on my business and personal financial position. While it is something overally complex, i can go and get the numbers and see excatly what my financial position is at any time, as well as trakcing my budget, and a few other things i like to know where i am at with.

degadar
08-07-2008, 05:18 PM
We use Sage for historical reasons - it does the trick but I hate it because it means I have to use Windows in the accounts department.

One day I'll get around to scrapping it.

turboguy
07-23-2015, 08:31 AM
We use Sage as well and have been using it for probably 20 years. When we first started using it we picked it because it would do assemblies and Quick Books at that time long ago could not. Prices sure have gone up. I think we paid something like $ 99.00 for Peachtree (now Sage) when we started and now it runs us a couple of grand a year with the updates. We did look at switching to Quick books two weeks ago after spending an hour on hold for Sage Support before giving up and not getting through. The cost is about the same. I am not sure if Quick Books support is better. They both answer the phone rather quickly if they think you want to buy the program.

Leo
01-21-2016, 11:45 PM
Turboguy,

I used to be a card-carrying member of the PeachTree family. Exactly for that reason... Assembly.

I switched to Quickbooks about two years ago as my son-in-law was stepping in as our accountant. I kicked and screamed all the way through. (Software version, not online).

I like it better. A lot better. And now it can do assemblies for combining two inventory items, and it is much more intuitive (my non-computer-friendly wife handles it quite well). We also use it as a point of sale and she likes it better as well.

We will be switching to Quickbooks online in a couple of months. I've heard mixed reviews, but after a big long analysis, conversations with people who did it (good and bad reviews), as a trial website of a mock company that quickbooks allows you to use for free, I've decided to pull the trigger.

I'll keep you posted of how it goes.

bhanks
04-19-2016, 12:22 PM
There are a lot of DIY accounting solutions in this thread. When does it make sense to build yourself? Can't you get something pretty cheap that works well so you don't have to spend time building your own accounting software program from scratch?