PDA

View Full Version : Social Network Marketing

Captus
11-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Hello all

I'm writing an article about social network marketing and I would to hear what business owners are doing with it. Do you actively post? What services do you use etc. Any information would be helpful as the focus will be small business.

Harold Mansfield
11-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Hello all

I'm writing an article about social network marketing and I would to hear what business owners are doing with it. Do you actively post? What services do you use etc. Any information would be helpful as the focus will be small business.

Head over to this section. We have a few Social Networking posts going including Facebook and Twitter marketing.
Internet Marketing - Small-Business-Forum.net (http://www.small-business-forum.net/internet-marketing/)

greenoak
11-04-2009, 08:17 PM
my blog is major....it has lots of pictures and helps convince customers to come to the store.....they tell me how much they enjoyed it...sometimes they watch it a long time before making the trip..my idea is that anyone who likes our kind of stuff and who sees our site would be drooling....trhey would know we have a lot...i like to show some prices too...i figure they go to the site first then the blog.....but the blog comes up wierdly often on first page google....
...now my big issue is melding facebook into the whole thing....thinking its major with my 30 and 40 yr old customers..
ann

vangogh
11-04-2009, 10:33 PM
I moved the thread to the internet marketing section. I'm also going to assume you mean social media in general and not just the networking part.

For starters I have a blog on my site and I post to it regularly. At the moment I'm publishing one tutorial kind of post each week, though in the past I've published as much as 3 - 4 times a week and would like to increase what I'm doing now back up to twice a week. The blog allows me to directly interact with those of my readers who choose to comment.

My blog is mainly about web design and developing with a little bit of marketing. I know of some design related sites that encourage you to submit a link to your content and after each post I submit to those where my post makes a good fit.

Sometimes I'll post a link on Twitter, though more often than not several of my readers end up posting it there and I don't really have to. I do try to thank the first few people who tweeted the post.

That's about all I do as far as submitting the content at the moment.

I'm signed up for a variety of social sites and I interlink them where possible. My Facebook profile has links to my Twitter and LinkedIn profiles for example. Whenever a site asks for other profiles I always fill that stuff in.

I'm not active on every social site where I have a profile, because it's nearly impossible to be active on all of them. I mainly use a handful of sites, mostly delicious and Twitter and to a lesser extent Facebook and LinkedIn and a few industry specific social sites.

I network with people in part by chatting with them via Twitter. Someone says something interesting and I reply. Sometimes I might even say something interesting and they reply. I post links to content I find interesting on both Twitter and Delicious. I linked out to good content from my blog and also comment on the sites I link out to.

I also spend a lot of time here and at other forums getting to know anyone who cares to join this and those forums

People do notice when you bookmark and submit their content and when you link to them. At least they do in the web design and marketing industries. I generally don't target specific people to network with. I tend to just use the sites I like and submit content I like and want to remember. I link out to good posts that fit with the post I'm writing and I chat with people I find interesting.

However if you did want to specifically get to know a few people you could do all of the above with an eye specifically towards those people. Comment on their blogs, link to them, follow them and social sites, etc.

Overall the main strategy is to think of ways to contribute to others. The more you give to others the more you tend to get back, which is particularly true when hoping to network with those people.

greenoak
11-05-2009, 08:47 AM
i think the retail world is discovering all this social network stuff....i sure am..
.so im looking forward to lots of good articles about how other stores are using it...and how they are blending it with their other marketing......what i like is that it can be so local...
..my facebook ad is running at an almost perfect target...married women between 30 and 65 within 40 miles!!!!....
its our first try and who knows if it will work....but its only 80$$$ ...my web person said it had been seen by 16,000...and i have newspaper ads running in their areas this week too....for our big open house......
ann

huggytree
11-05-2009, 03:54 PM
i use Linked in

I have gotten the attention of a president of a condo association and did about $1,500 worth of work for the association...so its worked for me

I write articles and ads once in a while...most go unanswered.

It does work, but not very well.

vangogh
11-05-2009, 08:45 PM
Cool that you got the attention of the president of a condo association. One description I saw for using LinkedIn was to treat it the way you would a rolodex. Think of it simply as quick contact info for people you want to connect with.

With a smart phone you can easily access your LinkedIn account and have all your contacts with you at all times.

Harold Mansfield
11-06-2009, 02:31 PM
I have noticed an increase in click through traffic from Linked In lately via my blogs rss feed.
Strange, some days it seems Linked In is non-existent as far as referral traffic and FB is all the rage, and then others, I don't hear from either and everything is coming from Twitter.

I am starting to pay more attention to Linked In lately.

elsoft
11-07-2009, 08:24 AM
Social Networking has become a sought of habit with me now.I am active on facebook,orkut,linkedin and mylot.Each of them is unique in their own way and serve in making friends primarily and meet people who share ideas and sometimes do get clients there.

vangogh
11-07-2009, 11:47 AM
Making it a habit and treating each site as unique with a unique community is the right way to go about it. Also it's good to see each site first as something you're interested in and want to participate with and second as a marketing opportunity.