PDA

View Full Version : How to Dominate a Niche Online

vangogh
10-28-2009, 01:11 AM
Just read a post I had bookmarked a few days ago called, Cloud Jacking: 7 Steps to Dominate Your Niche (http://www.viperchill.com/dominate-your-niche/), which is one of the better posts I've read about marketing a site and business online. I know the title sounds a little dirty with the Cloud Jacking thing, but I promise it isn't. Nothing at all unethical here.

The 7 steps with details to be found in the post:

Step 1. Find your market
Step 2. Identify and locate the influencers
Step 3. Look for gaps in how the niche operates
Step 4. Build out your base (and brand)
Step 5. Regularly produce remarkable content
Step 6. Engage the audience and the influencers
Step 7. Please stay consistent

Part of why I like this post and these 7 steps is because they fit very nicely with my own ideas for marketing online.

If you look at the steps above at least with the details in the post you can group everything into two main concepts.

Research your market and engage them

Each of the first 3 steps above involves researching your market. If you do all 3 you should have a good handle on what the market is all about, what it needs and wants, who to make friends, where your market actively spends it's time.

Steps 4-6 are all about engaging your market. Spend time in the communities where your market spends it's time and get to know them. Get to know a handful of influencers in your market. Create compelling content for your market and the market influencers.

The last step is simply to keep at it and be persistent.

I think I've been preaching a lot of the same around here for quite some time, albeit in different words and I'd probably add a step or two and change a detail here or there. Overall I think this is a great method for online marketing and I'd encourage you to read the original post.

Agree? Disagree? Any other ideas you'd add or anything you wouldn't do from this post?

Business Attorney
10-28-2009, 11:23 AM
I agree with all the points, particularly #3. If you find a gap (and no matter how saturated the niche, there are almost always gaps) and endeavor to fill that gap, I think it makes all of the other 6 tasks easier.

vangogh
10-28-2009, 11:55 AM
That's true. And all industries have gaps in them. There's always some market in the niche not being served as best as they could be.

I like the focus on researching your niche. Each of the first 3 points does have a specific aim in the marketing of your business, but in doing them you should really understand your market and be better able to serve your market in addition to making inroads in becoming part of the different communities around your market.

I do hope more people read the post. It's a really good roadmap for marketing your business.