PDA

View Full Version : Goggle launches Social Search

Harold Mansfield
10-21-2009, 10:57 PM
Google’s Vice-President of Search Marissa Mayer has just made a surprise announcement at the Web 2.0 Expo: a new Google Labs feature called Social Search. They just gave a quick demo of the new feature.

This seems to be aimed at personal search, but I have already taken the opportunity to make multiple Google Profiles for personal and business and integrate all of my social profiles...just in case.
Here is the link:
BREAKING: Google Announces Social Search (http://mashable.com/2009/10/21/breaking-google-launches-social-search/)

vangogh
10-22-2009, 03:10 AM
Google has definitely been looking to make a push into the social side of things. Makes sense for them since it's a way to collect more data on people beyond just themselves and expanded into groups of people.

I'm not sure how much I'll get into it. When I'm searching at Google I don't want to be influence by how other people search. I just want to get results for the queries I type. Most of the things Google has done lately to integrate more into their search results has felt like a step backwards to me. It seems harder to me know to find what I'm looking for than it was a couple of years ago.

It'll be interesting to see where this goes. So far Google's entries into social haven't fared all that well.

Spider
10-22-2009, 01:13 PM
I'd be happy for Google to disappear altogether! I don't trust them. And this sounds like just another means of gathering information on everybody, regardless of what it does for searching.

For the Conspiracy Theory bods, I think we have far more to be afraid of from Google than any government, or quasi-government, organization on Earth. From recording our own searches, peeking into our individual, real-world backyards to now finding out what our personal friends are searching for!

May the Force be with us, not them!

KristineS
10-22-2009, 03:12 PM
This doesn't do anything for me. It just sounds like more extraneous information that I don't need when I'm trying to search for something.

Harold Mansfield
10-23-2009, 12:56 PM
I'd be happy for Google to disappear altogether! I don't trust them. And this sounds like just another means of gathering information on everybody, regardless of what it does for searching.

For the Conspiracy Theory bods, I think we have far more to be afraid of from Google than any government, or quasi-government, organization on Earth. From recording our own searches, peeking into our individual, real-world backyards to now finding out what our personal friends are searching for!

May the Force be with us, not them!

There is no question that Google is amassing a monumental amount of information on the worlds internet users. The likes of which has never been seen or done before.
I hope that the information is strictly for marketing purposes, and Google doesn't turn into the "Umbrella Corporation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbrella_Corporation)" from the movie Resident Evil.