PDA

View Full Version : Host is driving me crazy

Harold Mansfield
10-21-2009, 05:44 PM
I have always sung the praises of my hosting company, and up until now have been completely happy with the service, but..for the last few weeks, my load times on all of my sites as been getting worse and worse.
After multiple tickets since July, complaining about the problem, and listening to them tell me everything from "It's my .htaccess file that causing a command loop" (even though I didn't put a custom one on, and offering me no solution...so I just removed it), to every other excuse, now my sites are at a slow crawl, and most times I can't even access them...I just get a plain white screen and have to refresh over and over again just to get them to load, and getting into the admin panels is a nightmare.

What used to take me 20 minutes is taking me an hour.

I have done everything on my end to insure that it's not me or my computer...upped my broadband account, installed more RAM, constant cleaning and repair.

Mind you, it's not one particular site, or platform, it's over 30 sites (maybe more like 40) running on different platforms and IP addresses...none of which require a huge amount of bandwidth or special database configurations.

I have no problem accessing anything else on the internet, or other people's FTP, or backend access.

This is a big fricken company ! Not some fly by night reseller !

At this point I am pissed. The thought of having to transfer all of my sites to a new host makes my eye hurt.

Finally today, I actually got someone that said "we know and we are working on the problem". As if it's not just me, it's a lot of people.

I am so mad because I reported this 3 months ago, continuously and now it's a big F'in problem.

Even funnier, I suggested a few months ago that it must be a database problem because everything else is stripped down to bare bones, and they assured me that they were functioning properly. I don't know much about SQL, I figured that's why I pay them..TO KNOW. If I knew everything, I would host my own sites and run my own databases.
I thought outsourcing to a professional would take care of it.

I don't know what I should do, but I needed to vent.

vangogh
10-21-2009, 07:56 PM
Understandable. I had my own hosting problems a few months back. Is this a shared hosting environment or is a VPS or dedicated server? I'm guessing shared hosting.

Shared hosting works great as long as none of the sites on the server gets any traffic. As soon as a few of them do everyone's site has problems. I'm done with shared hosting for myself and will recommend at least a VPS to all willing to pay for it.

Most of the hosting companies I've called will insist it's your site causing the problem. They generally don't give you any idea specifically what's wrong or how to fix it of course. They seem to just want to pass the blame around. Last time a hosting company told me that I moved my client's site exactly as is to a new host. And guess what? The site worked fine and has ever since.

orion_joel
10-21-2009, 07:58 PM
I was almost going to send back what are you talking about because i loaded the first page in your signature "Freelance Wordpress Webmaster" and it loaded in about 30seconds without a problem, however when i tried to click a link in it i see your problem, also when i tried to click "Custome Face Book Pages" It actually takes a while to get past the waiting for 4thinternet.com to reply. but then also just loads a blank page.

It can be frustrating, I have had my sites go off air for short periods of time, but not anything long term like this. Hope that they do get it fixed pretty soon, however i think that i would be looking at their terms of service to see if there is anything about uptime guarantee, and if there is seeking some sort of refund on the cost of hosting for breaking the guarantee.

orion_joel
10-21-2009, 08:07 PM
Vangogh, VPS hosting looks interesting, however i can see that it is more expensive. Plus it also looks like you need to know a bit more about the server side things yourself. Or do they mostly come setup with the server side things like Apache, MySQL, php etc?

Harold Mansfield
10-21-2009, 08:34 PM
I finally got some satisfaction.
It seems that there is a database upgrade (Didn't I say all along that it was a database problem ?) that all of my sites didn't get. SQL8 to SQL12

They are switching them over now.
You would think after 3 months, that someone else could have told me this by now. By the way it's VPS.
* VMWARE Server Cluster!
* Virtual disk stored on Cloud Storage
* 2G RAM
* 200GB Storage
* 11 IP Address (I think I have more than that now)
* FREE Web based Control Panel
* Detailed Bandwidth Utilization MRTG
* BLAZING Fiber-Based Tier 1 network
* Unlimited access to live support 24/7/365
* Fully Managed Server
* Full Server Monitoring
* 900 Gigabyte Transfer

They tell me when they are done, that I will see a noticeable difference. I hope so since right now, I'm getting squat.
I can see now that the guy I talked to was just shining me on.

billbenson
10-21-2009, 08:54 PM
I called them after your link about hosting, eborg. They were going to send me an email with a custom plan for me right away. No email.

Maybe they are going through some ownership changes or something.

vangogh
10-21-2009, 09:03 PM
Joel it is more expensive to get a VPS. It depends where you get one, but figure it'll cost $50 - $100 a month. You do take on more control over the server, but not everything. The hosting company is still responsible for maintaining the hardware and the server software.

You do more than just log into your control panel though. The server I have uses an application called WHM (Web Host Manager). You use that to set up new accounts for sites and to manage your share of the server. It's a little more complicated than cPanel, but not too much more.

Most hosts will still offer support and answer your questions and some will offer different levels of management and you can always pay for more management.

If you only have one site and it doesn't get too much traffic or have too many problems you're ok with shared hosting. Once you own more than a few sites, each pulling a decent amount of traffic you outgrow shared hosting. In time I'll move up to dedicated hosting, but for now a VPS works well enough.

Harold Mansfield
10-21-2009, 10:10 PM
I called them after your link about hosting, eborg. They were going to send me an email with a custom plan for me right away. No email.

Maybe they are going through some ownership changes or something.

It seems like after a certain time of day, the B-team takes over customer service and there is no one in sales...that's probably why no one emailed you....no sales associates around.
If you press "5", during business hours, you should get sales right away.
I don't think it's ownership changes, I'm pretty friendly with someone who owns a large network of server banks with them and I haven't heard anything like that.

Harold Mansfield
10-25-2009, 11:15 AM
Update:
Seems like they did exactly what they said and everything seems to be back to normal.
Over the last few days, all sites seems to be loading normally and I haven't seen any problems since.

vangogh
10-26-2009, 11:29 AM
That's good. It shouldn't have taken as long as it did, but at least they took care of the problem.