PDA

View Full Version : Using the word 'YET' as much as possible in your initial phone call

huggytree
10-20-2009, 08:38 PM
a Doctor friend of mine has paid for a class/book from the 'scheduling institute.com' by J.Greir.

he says his sales have increased 25%+ from their techniques...

they teach you how to answer your phone and ask questions

The biggest thing is to use the word 'YET' as much as possible..

(my best example i can come up with)
Q. My stomach is bothering me
A. Do you notice any Blood coming up YET?

keep putting idea's into their heads of what may happen....by saying YET 2-3x in your initial phone call is supposed to double the chance of an appointment.

its tricky..yea......but i always find little mental tricks like this interesting.

When bargaining w/ someone i always end if with...'that seems fair right?'..ive found its difficult for someone to say to your face 'no thats completely unfair'......by bargaining im not talking about business...im talking about flea markets and stuff like that....this trick works around 75% of the time

anyone else have any words or phrases which works for them to seal a deal?

Steve B
10-20-2009, 09:41 PM
I wish I did. But, I don't ... "yet".

I'll have to try that - I could use some help in closing more sales.

billbenson
10-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Give it a try. It would be interesting to know if you see any results. I'd be careful not to use it to much or it could become "like" supposedly the most hated word by job interviewers.

If I detect manipulation in a salesmans pitch, I say I'll think about it and thats the end. My lawn service used to call me until I told them to stop. I'd say no, I'm not interested in that treatment at this time. He'd steer the conversation a bit and then say, ok, I'll put you on the schedule for next thursday, ok. It might actually be something I'd like, but those tactics if they become blatant at all can be a real turn off. Might just be because as a career salesman I'm very aware of them as well.

Patrysha
10-20-2009, 10:44 PM
So I guess you'd be using it sort of like

"So is your current water heater leaking yet?"

Don't know how I'd fit that into a conversation...I have a fairly high conversion rate once it gets to the proposal part with my standard customers. My group project customers are a bit different...so far. But I am just learning in that area.

Spider
10-20-2009, 11:43 PM
Whenever there are variables in your proposal, or leading up to your proposal - like, shall we do the powder room as well as the kitchen?, or shall we take the better faucet or go with the standard one? - don't let them put off signing the contract until they have decided this detail. A decision can come later - close on what you have --

"Okay, let's write it up as it is and we can change that later, if you want to."

vangogh
10-21-2009, 12:48 AM
That's interesting. It fits with advice I've seen often, usually in regards to writing copy, to get your prospect to imagine themselves buying your product. Seems like a similar concept.

The whole idea being to get someone to picture using your product or service after having already bought it. If they can picture themselves using it, they're that much closer to buying it.

Steve B
10-21-2009, 04:36 AM
I like Huggy's example - for some reason it cracks me up!

phanio
10-21-2009, 08:08 AM
I find it hard to use tactics to close sales - would rather have my service or products speak for themselves as that is how I like to be dealt with - guess I am kind of like billbenson - I can smell the BS and on the other hand I don't like to give it either as I think other can smell it too. But, I do like the idea of getting someone to envision themselve using the product. Seems more of focusing on the need and benefits of the product or service rather than a tactic or manipulation.

But, regarding the word 'yet' - I woud just tell you it is not (doing that now) yet and if it does I will call you. But, will I remember to call you or find someone else. If you make a hard pitch like billbenson stated "I'll put you on the schedule for next thursday, ok" - I will remember you - remember to never use you - ever!

Paper Shredder Clay
10-21-2009, 10:55 AM
I can see how that might work but I do, personally, have a problem with people planting thoughts into your head. It seems like from the first statement that the doctor is embellishing what might happen, which he/she knows might very well not happen. I don't have a problem with advertising but do have a problem with leading people's mine to think what you want them to instead of the truth. Be honest and be honest in your advertising.

KristineS
10-21-2009, 02:02 PM
I'm not fond of these sorts of tactics. I can see how they work and I know that they do work, but to me they just feel pushy. If someone wants to tell me about the potential risks that might occur if I don't do something, that's one thing, but implying it's a certainty is quite another. Scare tactics don't do it for me, and I'll go somewhere else if a vendor tries to use them on me.

billbenson
10-21-2009, 03:17 PM
You can manipulate conversations with a lot of these tactics. The key is to use them subtly. If someone hangs up and says "wait a second, I've just been manipulated" they are likely to cancel. They may not say it to your face, but stop payment on the credit card charge. Depends on the situation.

huggytree
10-21-2009, 09:12 PM
It is manipulation because you know your doing it, but isnt that what sales is?

your not forcing anyone to use your product....its all about taking your sales to the next level...I rarely run into situations where i could use it...water heaters is about it...the next time i hear someone react badly to my price and say they will wait im planing on using it...

' yes you could hold off for a while on replacing that leaky water heater, Yet it could burst any minute and flood your whole house causing mold which would cause you to abandon your house while the fire department uses it as practice'

hmmmmm

rezzy
10-23-2009, 07:37 AM
That's interesting. It fits with advice I've seen often, usually in regards to writing copy, to get your prospect to imagine themselves buying your product. Seems like a similar concept.

The whole idea being to get someone to picture using your product or service after having already bought it. If they can picture themselves using it, they're that much closer to buying it.

When I worked in sales, that was a technique they told us. At the time I was selling cellphones, and the idea was to start most expensive and work down. That way, a customer would be more likely to spend more.

We were also instructed to say, things like heres your new phone, to help the customer envision the phone as theirs.

huggytree
10-23-2009, 08:40 PM
on my bids i always start at the bottom, so my prices seem real good...then i list all the upgrades...it seems to work well..

then again im not selling a $200 cell phone. im selling a $10,000-$15,000 project

aussieroo1
10-28-2009, 03:38 AM
I have YET to use this technique but it sounds interesting. I think it works as long as the context is proper. If it's one of the keys to making a sale, I don't see any reason why I shouldn't give it a shot.