PDA

View Full Version : Shelter Animals - Yes or No?

rezzy
10-20-2009, 02:48 PM
Since, it seems everyone is talking about pets, I was curious about getting dogs from a shelter.

Many years ago, when I was a wee lad, I got a shelter dog. It was a sickly animal and was subsequently returned the animal shelter. (My brother was right around the corner.)

Fast forward a few years. The wife and I have been considering getting a dog from a shelter. Should we expect another sickly dog? What are the signs a dog is not well? Any other notes for getting a shelter dog?

Harold Mansfield
10-20-2009, 03:01 PM
Since, it seems everyone is talking about pets, I was curious about getting dogs from a shelter.

Many years ago, when I was a wee lad, I got a shelter dog. It was a sickly animal and was subsequently returned the animal shelter. (My brother was right around the corner.)

Fast forward a few years. The wife and I have been considering getting a dog from a shelter. Should we expect another sickly dog? What are the signs a dog is not well? Any other notes for getting a shelter dog?

Shelters have Vets on staff or that visit regularly and the animals are usually kept in good health, have their shots and are spade or neutered. Any reputable or tax funded shelter will disclose any health or behavioral problems before you adopt. They will tell you for instance if an animal needs special TLC because of an abusive environment, or neglect and what animals are good for different situations like a house with young children.

Also many shelters employ volunteers that have a general love for animals and truly want to see them go to a good home. And they give you all kinds of help, pamphlets and information on caring for them, training and anything else that you need.

I have seen people pay $500 and up for pure breeds from puppy mills, and private breeders and get dogs with all kinds of problems ranging from epilepsy to parvo.

I think for the most part shelters are a great place to adopt pets, and I really believe that the animals know that you are saving them.

I grew up with shelter/pound dogs and each one was a great experience.

vangogh
10-20-2009, 03:30 PM
I think shelters can be a great place to get pets too. And you are doing a good thing by saving them. It's possible that an animal there may not make the best pet because of past abuse or something, but the same is true of any animal. Like people they have their own personalities. Some you like and some you don't

For the most part I think shelters could provide a good pet. Why not go into one and see if you feel that bond with one of the dogs.

Harold Mansfield
10-20-2009, 03:54 PM
Why not go into one and see if you feel that bond with one of the dogs.

Whoa, good suggestion, but I can almost guarantee that if you go into one, and you are a dog lover (and you are looking anyway?), it will be extremely hard not to walk out with a dog. I mean, they look so sad in there that you want to take them all home.

And if you have kids, and you take them with you..you can forget it, you will be a new dog owner, and scopping poop by the end of the day:).

Dan Furman
10-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Used dogs are the way to go. I've had plenty in my life, and it's been my experience that mutts (which seemingly comprise most shelter dogs) are much healthier than purebreds.

billbenson
10-20-2009, 06:10 PM
There was a dog whisperer show where they touched on adopting from a shelter. In addition to everything eborg said, if you are not experienced with dogs, find one that fits your skills, lifestyle, and personality. If you don't have a farm or can't take the dog somewhere to exercise by running don't get retrievers or other dogs that need a lot of running. Look at traits of breeds like stubbornness, barking, good with kids, etc.

There are probably dog trainers in your area that will help you select a dog that fits your personality. They probably will do that service for free. Getting the wrong dog for you is cruelty as well. Dogs need exercise and to get out. I run mine next to me on a bike several times a week. They love it.

Don't get a dog from a mall store or that comes from puppy mills. They are frequently abused animals and no care or love is given to them by the breeders.

If you look for a breeder, do a lot of research on the breeder. They can be good caring breeders or closet puppy mills. The AKC or the various dog clubs are a good place to start. See if the breeder is accepted by the dog club for the breed. For example, I like boxers. I'd start a search with americanboxerclub.org. I didn't look, but they should have recommended kennels.

Purebred show dogs can have problems. They can have traits that aren't characteristic of the breed such as aggressiveness or timidness. Both are equally bad, because a timid dog can bite out of fear. In this case, this is because of trying to breed the perfect show dog, not from abuse or neglect.

A show dog breeder will sell the premium puppies to people that will show the dog or keep them to breed or show. They will sell dogs to pet owners that they don't think will do well for either for stud or showing. These can be very minor defects and the dog can be great and beautiful for the breed. This could also be personality defects such as stated above. Expect to pay at least $1k from a show dog breeder.

I have two dogs, a boxer from a show dog breeder and a yorkie (actually a silky but they are similar) from a shelter. The boxer is very well balanced and has all of the good traits of the breed. When I take him to the vet I get a lot of comments on how good looking he is. My neighbors have a white boxer which is really a defect in the breed. White boxers are prone to sunburn, deafness and a few other things and shouldn't be bred. They got him from a shelter. Really nice dog and doesn't seem to have those type of problems, but it is a risk.

My Yorkie is from a Shelter. He's scared and bites out of fear. Barks a lot which I'm trying to fix with the help of Steve_B. Far more difficult than the boxer. Small dogs in general are more difficult than big dogs. If you look at a small shelter dog, it may not have had any training. Frequently they are treated as lapdogs and get away with whatever they want.

Money shouldn't be an issue for a dog, be it shelter or show dog. Even if you pay $1500 for a dog, thats trivial for what the dog will cost you over his life.

I'm a big believer in training. You want your dog to treat you as his boss. Mine sit, stay, heel, and come. You should plan on 30 min a day or more walking the dog practicing those commands and anything else you may want to train them to do. If you do, you will get a well behaved dog. If you don't you will have a mess. Kind of like a kid that isn't controlled often ends up going down the wrong path.

There are many different styles of dog training. Thats a subject for a different thread.

So you need to do some research to see what dogs are right for you. Beyond that, you can get a good dog from both shelters and breeders. Its really nice to get one from a shelter, knowing you may have saved the dogs life. Walking around with a show dog is nice to.

Patrysha
10-20-2009, 06:11 PM
We got our dog Rocky from the local shelter 2 years ago. He's a great dog! He was, they estimated, about 2 years old, a corgi-spaniel mix...no potty training issues like we would've faced with a puppy (which is a major reason that I wanted an older dog and not a puppy)

In our town, one of the vets is the shelter (that's where the bylaw officers take loose animals) and so they are well taken care of while they are there.

eborg - I get what you are saying, but I disagree. Even dog lovers can walk away, even if kids are involved.

We went in a couple of time before we found Rocky. The animals there during the first visit just didn't fit what we were looking for. A couple were too big, another would've needed too much exercise, and another couple were too small and yappy.

vangogh
10-20-2009, 06:33 PM
I can almost guarantee that if you go into one, and you are a dog lover (and you are looking anyway?), it will be extremely hard not to walk out with a dog.

I know. It's almost impossible to go play with all the dogs and not take one home. You might even come back with more than one. :)

Steve B
10-20-2009, 09:35 PM
Many shelters in this area have a "try before you buy" option allowing you to take the dog home for a few days to see how good the fit is.

There are LOTS of purebred dogs in shelters (not that it should matter), but you can have your pick of any type of dog you want if you look around. There are also rescue groups that specialize in certain breeds.

If you adopt an adult dog from a shelter, you can be assured that you have saved a life. How cool is that?

I have a variety of facts about dogs that rotate through on the bottom of each page of my website. Some of them may be interesting to you as you consider your options.

Anyway, don't let your one experience many years ago affect (or effect) your decision. Some shelters are better than others, but the dogs (and cats) need your help. Don't let them down.

rezzy
10-20-2009, 11:04 PM
I am glad to see the support from the variety of people here. I have been using a site: Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder (http://petfinder.com) to search for dogs in my area.

Alot of local shelters and rescues, post their animal inventories and you put in certain criteria and poof, youve got dogs matching your searches.

I never considered getting a mall dog, for some of previously mentioned reasons.

Spider
10-20-2009, 11:33 PM
I'm a bit late to the party but I say - Absolutely, adopt a pet from a shelter.

Big #1 - you save a life AND save another puppy from being born to a puppy mill.

Big #2 - if you buy from a petshop, whether sourced at a puppy mill or not, or from a breeder, you CONDEMN a shelter dog to death or a miserable life.

For me, there is no other way but to adopt a dog. I have been surrounded with dogs all my life, and now my wife has a pet grooming and boarding business, so I have dozens to play with. Most are rescued. A few have paid top money for supposed champion-bred dogs. And I would take the rescued dogs, every time. The rescued dogs are almost like they KNOW they have been saved and seem grateful for it. (Maybe I am transferring my emotions onto the dog, I don't know.)

The only way I would take a purebred dog is from a bread-specific rescue organization, and then look for the least purebred - a lookalike almost pure. I believe the mixture of a non-purebred provides a basically healthier dog rather than the inbreeding results of a purebred.

Certainly choose carefully with regard lifestyle - for this, spend some time in your local library and learn the specifics of different breeds. Even mongrels have breed specifics unless they are a real hodge-podge of breeds. Things that bother me are leaving labradors outside - Labs need a lot of human company), bringing terriers into a house with small (unruly?) children (terriers are bred to kill - not kill childtren, obviously - rats, mice, etc, which makes them naturally aggressive.) Getting a large dog that needs lots of exercise when you don't have time to exercise them.

On this last score - if you want a large dog that does not require exercise - get a retired greyhound. Sounds strange, I know, but a retired greyhound is a total couch potato - seems like they have done all the running they need to do at the racetrack. A once-a-week trip to the dog-park is generally enough.

Here's a tip - for some first hand information, invite a local vet to lunch and tap his/her brain for advice on breed selection.

Good luck. Oh Did I mention - Get your dog from a recognized shelter like the SPCA - they generally won't adopt out unsuitable dogs. They have to euthenize so many because homes cannot be found for them all that the ones available for adoption are those most suitable.

Steve B
10-21-2009, 04:32 AM
I agree with everything Spider says.

Once you get a dog - or even before, you might want to read one of Cesar Milan's books. My favorite is "Be the Pack Leader". We have a lot of neurotic dogs in this country because we don't provide proper leadership and exercise. He has some specific guidance on bringing home a new dog to the house.

Harold Mansfield
10-21-2009, 05:55 PM

eborg - I get what you are saying, but I disagree. Even dog lovers can walk away, even if kids are involved.

Maybe that's just me. I see dogs on the street and want to take them home. Amazing here, since we have had such a high foreclosure ratio, that people have not only left their homes behind, but left the animals too. Sad.
A few weeks ago, police were called to a home that was abandoned (probably gettin' out before they were kicked out) and found Dogs, Cats, Exotic Birds, and a Tiger ! That's an extreme case and they were probably doing something illegal anyway..I'm pretty sure you can't own a Tiger out here unless you are Sigfried and Roy.

Our local shelters are packed and are constantly having adoption drives, and various functions in local parks to bring people out to adopt a dog or cat.

They also have a "try before you buy" kind of deal here too.

Patrysha
10-21-2009, 06:43 PM
I don't think I said it was easy...just that it could be done...

I wanted to take all of them home, but knew none of them would actually fit...until we met our little penguin imposter :-)

billbenson
10-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Here's an interesting article on shelters and euthanising of the animals. The numbers shown for my county would lead me to believe that more animals are euthanised in poorer neighborhoods although the article doesn't state that.

Area shelters euthanize nearly half of animals - Local - BradentonHerald.com (http://www.bradenton.com/news/local/story/1796674.html)

Spider
10-22-2009, 05:23 PM
It's a terrible shame, all in all. So many dogs and cats are being bred and abandoned, and there is such an insufficiency of homes for them that, in Houston, they no longer report the number of animals euthenized each year, they report in tons.

rezzy
10-23-2009, 11:08 AM
Spider, thats really quite heartbreaking to hear. That its easier to report in such a large weight measurement then a number.

Blacktalon
10-23-2009, 05:22 PM
That's where I got my Sammy from.

Actually, a better way to put it is that our cat selected us. The Toronto Humane Society was doing an Adopt-a-thon where they were waiving adoption fees for animals as a way to clear out animals for space. The only problem we've had with her is a minor infection in her eye, but that was quickly cured with eye drops (which were rather hard to administer. Crickey that cat is feisty!).

We've considered getting another cat (kitten more than likely), but we're afraid how Sam would react to one. Plus the fact that our living quarters at the present moment are too small for two cats, there might be a little conflict and we don't want anything to happen to a kitten.

There's always the hope that Sam's maternal instinct might kick in - and when we get the new house early next year then we might consider it.

No, shelters have given us a keeper.

I'd much rather get an animal from a shelter. Have you seen some of these pet stores selling pets for? Egad...

huggytree
10-24-2009, 07:50 PM
ive gotten 2 cats from the humane society

one is good
the other was returned...too sickly....6 weeks, 3 vet visits, didnt get better

id buy from them again, but wouldnt take any with signs of illness

rezzy
10-24-2009, 09:09 PM
the other was returned...too sickly....6 weeks, 3 vet visits, didnt get better

id buy from them again, but wouldnt take any with signs of illness

did you know it was sickly before taking it home?

huggytree
10-25-2009, 09:04 AM
not the diarea part, but yes we knew it wasnt healthy...we were told it would improve when we got it away from the shelter.....they never admitted that it wouldnt get better..even after 6 weeks and 3 vet visits....the vet visits were at the humane society..it was their 'free' vet...

she wasnt a kitten either....id probably only get kittens

Blacktalon
10-28-2009, 06:16 PM
At the Humane Society they were giving away two kittens (literally 3 weeks old) who had some neurological problem; the stipulation was that if you took one you had to take the other. But they communicated that they had these issues (whenever they stood they wobbled as though they had downed a mickey of whiskey). Cute little things, but someone else grabbed them before us. And we weren't really ready to take on the financial responsibility of neurotic cats.

But I still love my Sammy, even if she does try to attack my legs.

Blacktalon