PDA

View Full Version : Cats - The animal, not the play

Blacktalon
10-13-2009, 10:23 PM
Any cat lovers here?

I've a pure black cat who my wife and I adopted from the Humane Society several years back. Her name is Sam, although we tend to call her Sammy.

Needless to say she's feisty around other people but adorable around us. She's a one-cat family.

Any of you guys have cats?

Blacktalon

vangogh
10-14-2009, 03:51 AM
I like cats, but don't have one at the moment. I like all animals to be honest. We used to have a black cat when I was a kid. Allergies in the family forced us to give him up. It was hard, but what can you do.

If you like cats you should check out I Can Has Cheezburger (http://icanhascheezburger.com/). A site devoted to cute and funny pictures of cats.

Steve B
10-14-2009, 04:35 AM
I love all animals too. I've had a cat for 20 years - although not the same one. Both were adopted from animal shelters.

"but what can you do" (re: allergies). A couple of us have allergies too. Our animals have been trained (via electronic collar) to stay out of all the bedrooms. We no longer sleep on pillows or in beds that the cat was lying on all day. This has made an improvement.

Patrysha
10-14-2009, 09:20 AM
We've had cats, but are without one now. We had to re-home our last cat when we relocated to Whitecourt because our first townhouse did not allow pets. By the time we found and moved into our house it seemed unfair to go and get him from the family that had loved him for that six months. He died last winter, coyotes.

We have been debating whether to get another one. We have Rocky the wonder-dog, but I think a kitten would liven this place up...just not enthused about dealing with litter again.

And we've never had a cat and a dog at the same time.

dynocat
10-14-2009, 10:40 AM
We have five cats. They are either from the humane society or abandoned kittens/cats we took in.

Two black, Spencer and Sid
One Siamese/Tabby mix, Stella
One Siamese, Sampson
One large brown tabby, Nemo

Sid and Stella are siblings we got at six weeks.

See the pattern? We like people name starting with "S." The only reason Nemo's name doesn't start with "S" is because she was a few years old and used to her name when we took her in.

We have had a dog or two with and without cats. They all got along great--even slept together. We just prefer cats because it's so much easier to leave them on their own for a few days.

thx4yrtym
10-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Sean,

Currently have two cats, brothers, Andy and Spencer.

They are about 3 years old I guess. Of all the cats over the past 40 years these two are special. They came from outside and we never intended to bring them in but they had other ideas. They are inside only cats. Spencer likes to lay upside down in my arm and go to sleep, all 4 feet in the air. We do this 3-5 times a day for from 5 to 10 minutes at a time. Really helps when I'm stressed from programming.

Regards,

Blacktalon
10-14-2009, 05:18 PM
We've had cats, but are without one now. We had to re-home our last cat when we relocated to Whitecourt because our first townhouse did not allow pets. By the time we found and moved into our house it seemed unfair to go and get him from the family that had loved him for that six months. He died last winter, coyotes.

We have been debating whether to get another one. We have Rocky the wonder-dog, but I think a kitten would liven this place up...just not enthused about dealing with litter again.

And we've never had a cat and a dog at the same time.
You live out west, in either BC or Alberta, right? If so, then you've got access to the Superstores out there.

The PC Green Flushable and Clumpable litter (has a picture of a green tiger on the front; the entire bag is green) is awesome for cat pee-pee. That's what we use.

How're your cats when dealing with the vets? Mine needed a muzzle XD

Blacktalon

Patrysha
10-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Clumpables increase the risks for UTI's in cats, so I avoid those...unless a vet tells me they've changed enough that they've reduced that risk.

Not that we have a Superstore. There's a No-frills now that used to be an Extra which I think is a Superstore brand...but I don't shop there because I'm lazy and don't like packing my own groceries.

I'm sure I could find some I like, but I don't think I should be the one having to do it...so the cat ban remains until someone else agrees to some of the pet care.