PDA

View Full Version : Music Usage Laws

Patrysha
10-13-2009, 10:39 AM
I really want to use some fire me up music to kick off and to punctuate my live seminars that are coming up.

Event Registration (http://pkmarketingsolutions.com/event-registration)

However, I am going to be recording these sessions. Should I just record them and remove the music in the editing stage or would their use come under fair use laws?

I'm tending towards fair use because I am not using full on recordings, but just snippets and they are not the focus of the presentations, just auditory punctuation for a lack of a better word.

Is this worth calling a lawyer over?

I keep meaning to find one, but have never really felt the need to find one before.

Patrysha
http://pkmarketingsolutions.com

Business Attorney
10-13-2009, 10:58 AM
I am not familiar with Canadian copyright law, but in the U.S. what you described is not "fair use." If a portion of a copyrighted song is played in scene in a TV show or a movie, the producer must pay the royalty for using the music. Offhand, I see no reason why your proposed use of someone's music to set the mood for your recorded seminar should be fair use.

Harold Mansfield
10-13-2009, 01:04 PM
As I pertains to copy written material, the laws in CA are pretty much the same as the U.S., E.U., Australia, Japan and many other nations that respect Intellectual and Creative Properties.

You are supposed to pay royalties to use the music in that fashion. Fair use generally pertains to work that is used for educational, or review purposes. Fair use doesn't apply to a situation where you are using copy written material as part of a presentation, especially one that you will make money from. Technically, it doesn't matter if it's just a snippet if the portion that you use is a recognizable part of the work.

You may want to check with your venue, if they host events regularly, especially live music events, plays, Dances and Socials and such (or even have a Juke Box), they probably already have a license in place that covers you and you don't need to worry.

If they are affiliated with a non-profit or religion, events inside may be exempt (not really sure about that one..I know there is something with churches and exemption, you'd have to check and see if CA recognizes the same)

There are also many places online that offer royalty free, or Creative Commons Music to use in presentations, video, websites. Some are free, some you pay a one time fee per track, or compilation and you can use them when ever, or where ever you want. Prices are generally the same as buying music from iTunes.

Patrysha
10-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Thanks! I am glad I looked into that before getting to far into the outlines.