PDA

View Full Version : Worker Safety Posters on Websites

billbenson
10-11-2009, 01:11 AM
I got a weird call Friday. Arrogant guy demanding to see where our work posters (I gather the posters that need to be posted at workplaces explaining workers rights) on our website. He then demanded to talk to the president or owner.

I asked him who he was with and he said ?? Steel. So it sounds like a company, not some government entity. He wasn't a government entity so I said "why is this your business" He then got really obnoxious and hung up.

The interesting thing in all of this is he used my legal company name. Its not actually on any websites. If he got it via the florida business registration, it would show that I'm a sole proprietarship. I can't believe I need posters to tell myself of my legal rights.

Oh, I know where he got the name. I'm on a list of approved government conctractors.

I have a feeling it may have been a scam. Is their any reason I would need to have workers rights posters on my website? I've never seen them including corporation websites?

dynocat
10-11-2009, 02:19 AM
Sounds like a scam to me. There are places that sell those posters even thought most, if not all, can be had for free from he government office.

Had he been professional and polite he may have tried to sell you workers posters to post in the workplace. Why the heck would anyone need them posted on their website?

billbenson
10-11-2009, 02:50 AM
Why the heck would anyone need them posted on their website?
That's my question. Is there any law I'm not aware of?

Steve B
10-11-2009, 08:40 AM
Definitely a scam.

If your business was required to have warnings for the workers, they are required to be posted prominently in the workplace. In your case, you are not required to have any postings anyway, but if you did they would need to be in the breakroom, near the timeclock, or at commonly used entrances.

When I was an HR guy, I tried to post as many things electronically as possible (although these kinds of postings clearly must be posted via hard copy). It was always a concern that the gov't. wouldn't consider it accessible enough and would demand hard copies be physically distributed.

Anyway, don't worry about it - this call was from a really bad commission based salesperson. Well, I'm guessing it was a commissioned based sales person!

Harold Mansfield
10-11-2009, 01:25 PM
I'm surprised that you talked to him as long as you did. You don't need to have any workplace safety posters on your website...your website is not a workplace, or a work area.
I would call the guy back and ask to speak to his President or Supervisor.

Evan
10-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Many states require that companies post certain signs making them aware of their rights as employees. These are generally regarding workplace safety, wages, etc. Certainly for a business run out of your home, people aren't really going to comply with the law.

Not really sure the state would care if it was just you. Though certainly if they were looking to pile some fines on, I'm sure they could.

KristineS
10-12-2009, 01:00 PM
That's just crazy. Sounds like someone trying to make a sale through scare tactics. Even if you did need workplace posters, why would they have to be on your website? Most employees don't ever even look at the company web site.