PDA

View Full Version : New website, what do you think?

ndlandis
10-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Hey Guys!

I just launched my website and was wondering what you guys think. Don't worry, I can take it. I have absolutely no knowledge of web design and did it without any help except from my husband who generally has no opinion about anything to do with business! I was just wanting someone else's opinion. I have had one call from a potential client that liked it but that's really about the only outside feedback I've had. Thanks in advance for your input!:)

Home (http://www.questvas.com)

vangogh
10-09-2009, 07:55 PM
No worries Norma. You may not have been able to move the post, but I could. :)

The site looks nice and does come across as professional. It does seem a little bland and maybe dated. It's a design I might have expected to see a few years ago. Again, though it does come across as professional and it's not going to scare anyone away.

I do see the website tonight logo at the bottom and if you feel comfortable editing html files I'd suggest moving off website tonight and onto GoDaddy's regular hosting. You're paying a lot more for the website tonight editor and giving up access to the server, which can be really important for things like search engine optimization. But you would need to feel more comfortable editing files directly. It's not that hard and probably not much more involved than how you built the current site.

The site is nice and clean and easy to navigate. I would make the size of the text in the menu a little bigger, though it's not necessary.

In a few places you underlined text that isn't a link. A big no no online since underline text is so synonymous with links. People will inevitably click that text and get frustrated. Find another way to set off that text.

Your page headings would look better on the left side of the page. They get lost on the right hand side. Page headings are very important since they give people an immediate clue as to what page they're on and let them know whether or not to read further.

Overall it's a good job. I'm sure others will have opinions and ideas behind me.

jamestl2
10-09-2009, 08:39 PM
It's a nice, simply designed site. Although I must admit, I wasn't sure what your company offers, or what exactly a virtual assistant is, after just glancing at it for a few seconds.

Some minor things I might consider, though they aren't essential, would just be nice to have:

Link to the homepage in the header image (thus you wouldn't need a "Home" link in the navigation
Change all the URL characters to lowercase
You might want to give your pages some better titles. "Home", "Services", etc. just sound a tad too generic to me

Also maybe include a Privacy Statement and Disclaimer, just to cover the legal side of things.

vangogh
10-09-2009, 09:04 PM
I wasn't sure what your company offers, or what exactly a virtual assistant is, after just glancing at it for a few seconds.

That's a good point. I'm very familiar with what a virtual assistant is, but many people aren't. It would be a good idea to answer the question about what you do right away on the home page. Something that stands out and can be seen at a glance.

Harold Mansfield
10-12-2009, 12:07 PM
I agree with the above. I think it's an adequate website, it doesn't really knock my socks off, but for never having done it before it's very good.

I would open with exactly what you do. I know a lot of businesses feel like they need to "soften" readers up with with the soft sell..telling why they need your services and the benefits, but IMO that is putting the cart before the horse if they don't know what it is you offer.

Odds are, if people find your site, it's because they are looking for service..so the first thing they should see is "We offer this service..this is what we do", and then go into the sell.

I also think that if you are the face person in such a service that requires you personally to work closely with clients that you should use your own photo, with a big cheesy grin. I make that suggestion all the time to people that offer personalized services, although I have yet to put my own photo on my website :)

I think that you have done a great job with the information that you offer, being clear with term and conditions, billing, pricing..that's all really good stuff and very professional. I'm just not crazy about the design.

KristineS
10-12-2009, 12:45 PM
This is a good basic web site, and for someone who has never put together a site before, I think you've done well. It does look a little generic, but not so much that I'm turned off, so I think you're o.k. there.

I would agree with those who said it might be more effective to start with what you do and the services you offer. Right now your first page isn't really selling you, it's selling VA services in general, which I can understand, but if people are busy, they want to know what you can do for them. They're also, as eborg pointed out, pretty likely to already know what a Virtual Assistant is and does when they find your site. What your site should do is tell them why you're the VA they should hire.

aussieroo1
10-28-2009, 03:44 AM
The layout and design looks neat, but the header is a bit pixelated, you might want to upload an image with a higher resolution. But for a first-timer, you did a good job.

Steve B
10-28-2009, 06:26 AM
I like it. I agree with the pixelated header. I would also go for larger font sizes.

camp185
01-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Bookmark your home page, and see what it titles it. Home. Not very descriptive. Change your title tag <title> in your header to read something like Quest Virtual Assistant Services. This will help your users find your site better in their own bookmarks, and also improve your search engine optimization. You might also want to improve the resolution of your logo. Looks grainy.

dpdumas642
01-15-2010, 11:16 AM
The site looks professional but it is a little hard to read. You might try having some bullet points that tells what the benefits are to them. Try breaking up the paragraphs. Your English teacher might have a fit, but it does make it more readable. You also might try to bold some of the text where you make a point or where it would be pertinent to do so. If your site is hard to read you will definitely be loosing some clients.

krmwebdesign
01-21-2010, 10:46 AM
Hey Guys!

I just launched my website and was wondering what you guys think. Don't worry, I can take it. I have absolutely no knowledge of web design and did it without any help except from my husband who generally has no opinion about anything to do with business! I was just wanting someone else's opinion. I have had one call from a potential client that liked it but that's really about the only outside feedback I've had. Thanks in advance for your input!:)

Home (http://www.questvas.com)

For someone with no knowledge of web design that is a pretty great effort. Well done! Plus if you have clients coming through the site that is really great! You should build on your marketing and try and get more clients through the site.

On the web design front, the header image resolution is a bit low and the text is a little close together I think but it does look great.

I wish you all the best in your endeavors.

dynocat
01-21-2010, 09:04 PM
I also think that if you are the face person in such a service that requires you personally to work closely with clients that you should use your own photo, with a big cheesy grin. I make that suggestion all the time to people that offer personalized services, although I have yet to put my own photo on my website

I definitely agree with using a photo of yourself in your own office or work space. I would replace the stock photos with something people looking for help can relate to. Those photos look too impersonal in my opinion. No offense, but a picture of a group of people around a laptop wouldn't do it for me. There are times it's better to not have the corporate look.

I also agree the text is hard to read.

innov8
01-25-2010, 04:05 AM
...quotes from happy customers (and why they needed these services over traditional assistants) may be beneficial--perhaps a video of same?