PDA

View Full Version : PM Notice

Spider
08-16-2008, 11:02 PM
I have just noticed that the Welcome box in the top righthand corner no longer contains a link to our private messages and no longer tells us whether we have a PM waiting.

In its place is some other 'notification' -something to do with the 'friends' feature, I think.

I think the PM notification was far more useful than this friends notification.

vangogh
08-17-2008, 12:07 AM
It's there for me. Is anyone else not seeing the link to private messages in the welcome box in the upper right?

Frederick it might simply be that you don't have a private message at the moment and that someone has sent a friend request, so that link is showing instead. There are several different things that will show up as notifications in the welcome box.

Steve B
08-17-2008, 05:45 AM
It's all there for me too.

Spider
08-17-2008, 09:27 AM
You mean you are getting BOTH a freinds notification AND a PM notification or are you only getting one of them?

Steve B
08-17-2008, 10:21 AM
Welcome, Steve B.
You last visited: Today at 07:39 AM
Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 4.

That is what is in the upper right hand corner for me. The words Private Messages is in blue and is a link to the PM's.

Evan
08-17-2008, 11:25 AM
Welcome, Evan.
You last visited: Yesterday at 11:15 PM
Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 14.

vangogh
08-17-2008, 01:02 PM
I'm seeing the same thing everyone else is. Did you check to see if you have a friend request?

Spider
08-17-2008, 05:29 PM
That's what I used to get but now I'm getting this--

Welcome, Spider.
You last visited: Today at 08:59 AM
Your Notifications: 1

I have to click on 'Your Notifications' to get a drop down menu that reads--

Unread Private Messages 0
Incoming Friend Requests 1
Requests to Join Your Social Groups 0
Invitations to Join Social Groups 0
Unread Picture Comments 0
Group Messages Awaiting Approval 0

As I am only interested in private message notifications, I'd like to turn off all the other notifications, as you chaps obviously have. How did you all do it?

cbscreative
08-17-2008, 06:22 PM
What, you don't want friends? When you get a friend request, that display is normal. Once you open it, the display should return to normal.

vangogh
08-17-2008, 07:20 PM
Frederick if you respond to the friend request it'll go away. No one's turned anything off. We just responded to the other notifications.

Just respond to the request. You can reject if it you want or you can accept it and you'll see the PM notification again. You should also see the PM notification anyway when you actually have one.

You can also see your PMs by going to your control panel.

Spider
08-17-2008, 08:14 PM
I am aware that I can see my PMs by going to my UserCP. I am also aware that I can view PMs by clicking on Notifications. That's not what I was asking. It just seemed that for some reason a list of "Notifications" was superceding the PM reminder and that isn't happening on another vB forum in which I participate. As you folk were not seeing what I was seeing, I figured I had done something I had not intended to do. Apparently not.

As for the 'Friends' feature - I am friends with everyone here and will endeavor to act in that manner. I do not intend to make favorites of individuals by having a separate list of friends (thereby implying that the people not on my list are not friends.) This feature seems more appropriate to a discussion forum of schoolgirls than business associates, I'm afraid.

In fact, I find it strange that the ordinary user can opt out of the Private Messaging system but cannot, it seems, opt out of the Friends system and Social Groups system. But I'm not going to complain about it - I will work within the constraints of the software. It was just that I thought I was doing something contrary to my wishes.

No problem. Please carry on with whatever you were doing. :D

cbscreative
08-18-2008, 09:52 AM
I think this friends feature may be new with this version of vB, but I don't know that for sure.

Spider
08-18-2008, 12:30 PM
Something seems to be different, even though they are using the same "Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2" remark footer that we are are here. They have the Friends feature but it is less obtrusive than here, it seems.

Still, none of this is particularly important.